FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   WIP Story w/Pics (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/4204-wip-story-w-pics.html)

mecompco 05-05-2011 12:47 AM

WIP Story w/Pics

2 Attachment(s)
OK, as promised, on my One Year Anniversary of my (current) lifestyle change and use of FitDay, I present a couple of pictures.

The first is me on the Fourth of July in '09 (next to my Jeep as the club participated in the 4th of July parade)--not at my biggest, but you get the picture (size 8x T shirt and 6x trousers). I'm well over 400 here, but can't say for sure how much over. I've not yet found any more recent "before" pictures but I guarantee I wasn't any smaller when I re-joined FitDay on May 4th of 2010.

Second picture was taken yesterday (05/04/11) on my one-year anniversary. Size 40 (relaxed) Wranglers and XL Levi jean jacket. I'm 249 in this picture.

Now, the current picture is NOT an "after" as I am still very much a Work In Progress. Nor, is this a success story. Sadly, this is a failure story as I was down to 184 back in '01/'02. And I can't say that I will ever be done with this until I breath my last--it will be one of those "never ending stories".

Anyway, here goes:

Attachment 88
"Before"

Attachment 89
Current (NOT "After")

FWIW, I've gotten this far in one year using FitDay daily, eating a reasonable amount of real food, having the occasional "day off" (or two), and doing a pretty modest (30 min) amount of daily exercise (mainly walking). No pills, shots, starving, patent gadgets, surgery or other hocus pocus.

Regards,
Michael

DancinBear2 05-05-2011 01:29 AM

That is truely amazing Michael, you must feel great! Congratulations to you on making it this far. I look forward to seeing next year's pictures.

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 45599)
Sadly, this is a failure story as I was down to 184 back in '01/'02.

Going from 184 to over 400 may be a failure story, but that was in the past. As one of my favorite moderators often says "That was the past, put it behind you and move on". This is definately a success story, be proud of what you accomplished.

Thanks for sharing.

jtinkson 05-05-2011 01:38 AM

You have done great!!! Success is never ending! Each day is a success!

01gt4.6 05-05-2011 02:00 AM

wow, that's awesome. Seeing the pics make a real impact.

gmantych 05-05-2011 02:03 AM

WOW-You look amazing. You should be so proud of yourself. What an inspiration!!!!

taubele 05-05-2011 02:10 AM

You look amazing (and, if I may say so, younger!)

I don't think your current story is a failure story. In fact, I think it's a "coming back stronger than ever" story, and those are the best stories of all! I hope you're as proud of yourself as we all are! :) Thanks for putting these out there, it's truly awesome to see.

You're doing a great job, Michael, and very VERY inspirational! Keep it up!

~Terri

vabeachgirlNYC 05-05-2011 03:01 AM

Holy WOW! Are you sure the first isn't your dad?!

Your pics are amazing proof of your desire to work hard on living a fit and healthy lifestyle.

I would have to guess that your "relaxed" fit jeans are are also maybe a size too big, lol!

Congrats on your success!

mecompco 05-05-2011 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 45619)
Holy WOW! Are you sure the first isn't your dad?!

Your pics are amazing proof of your desire to work hard on living a fit and healthy lifestyle.

I would have to guess that your "relaxed" fit jeans are are also maybe a size too big, lol!

Congrats on your success!

:D Nope, Dad has been gone a while, but I do have his lack of hair. And you're right--the 40s are getting bit loose but the 38s are still a bit snug--kinda in between right at the moment.

Regards,
Michael

vabeachgirlNYC 05-05-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 45621)
:D Nope, Dad has been gone a while, but I do have his lack of hair. And you're right--the 40s are getting bit loose but the 38s are still a bit snug--kinda in between right at the moment.

Regards,
Michael

You could shave it all off! Bald men are sexy as hell! :D

Kumochi 05-05-2011 03:29 AM

Well Done and thanks for sharing. There are so many of us on fitday who know that this has to be a life time battle, I hope we all become alumni of fitday and stay on even once our goals are reached. Mary

almeeker 05-05-2011 03:35 AM

Dude you are so awesome, thanks for sharing. What you've accomplished nothing short of completely amazing. Way to go!!!!

01gt4.6 05-05-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 45623)
You could shave it all off! Bald men are sexy as hell! :D

:D:eek:

Michael,
That truly is awesome what you've been able to do. I think this would be a great place to talk about other changes you may have seen such as cholesterol, blood glucose, resting heart rate, sleep, ability to do things easier... tie shoes, etc. I'm curious as to besides looking great, how you actually feel.

dear_abby 05-05-2011 04:03 AM

You are amazing, but you already knew that - the great message is the continuing, WIP!

Thanks!

Abby

mecompco 05-05-2011 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 45632)
:D:eek:

Michael,
That truly is awesome what you've been able to do. I think this would be a great place to talk about other changes you may have seen such as cholesterol, blood glucose, resting heart rate, sleep, ability to do things easier... tie shoes, etc. I'm curious as to besides looking great, how you actually feel.

Well, Mike, I really have no idea as to all that medical stuff--I suppose I'll have to break down and go for a check up one of these days :mad:.

I think I've related before that I was all-in walking more than 50ft. or so and that it was painful to simply stand up. It takes a lot of energy to keep 400+ pounds alive, I'll tell you.

I do sleep much better--I used to stop breathing quite often, the wife tells me--she'd wake me up once in a while to start again (thanks, dear!).

I must say that I feel pretty darned good! Just got back from my two mile 28 minute jog (and jogged the whole way, today). A far cry from a year ago when not being able to find the closest parking space at McDonald's was a major hardship!

Knees don't hurt, ankles don't hurt, back doesn't hurt, feet don't hurt, don't sound like a steam locomotive while walking, you get the picture.

So, if anyone is contemplating gaining a couple hundred pounds, I'd advise against it ;). If anyone reading this is in the same boat I was, all I can say is make up your mind to do it, get a plan in place, and get-r-done. The rewards are WELL worth the minor aggravation of a lifestyle change.

Regards,
Michael

PS I'll feel even better when I get down under 200--after that we'll see what looks/feels best. Also, I think I should do another picture--perhaps one beside the Jeep like the "before" one. I didn't even know I had that picture so my "during" photo is hard to directly compare. I think I've also got a "before" of my face--it really looks different--heck, it took me a second to recognize my face in a dept. store mirror the other day!

VirusInside 05-05-2011 07:27 AM

This is so incredible Michael! You really look like a new person. And I'm sure you feel like one. Unbelievable! You're quite the inspiration. If you can accomplish THAT transformation, then you gotta know anything is possible.

cjohnson728 05-05-2011 07:33 AM

Michael, you've done a fantastic job!

Your outward tranformation is awesome...and I know you must be enjoying much improved heath and energy.

Thanks for posting, and thanks also for driving home the point that it takes consistent but do-able work and there is no easy way out.

Congratulations on having all your efforts pay off :D

quinnesec 05-05-2011 09:02 AM

"FWIW, I've gotten this far in one year using FitDay daily, eating a reasonable amount of real food, having the occasional "day off" (or two), and doing a pretty modest (30 min) amount of daily exercise (mainly walking). No pills, shots, starving, patent gadgets, surgery or other hocus pocus."

Michael,

I'm so glad that you posted your pictures! And I totally agree; I think that you should take an after picture by the same Jeep! Even if someone only has 20 lbs. to lose, you certainly give them the inspiration (and eliminate any excuses :)) to get the job done.

I'm so happy to see your approach to weight loss. Basically, calories in vs. calories out. In a time when we all want instant gratification, sometimes doing it the "old fashioned" way, even though it takes time, works. The whole key is changing our eating habits for good, not just for awhile. It takes time for our brains to reboot and think about food differently.

There are times when I still go to my old size on the racks when shopping for new clothes because I don't mentally picture myself as smaller... I can only imagine how it must be for you!

Congratulations!

quinn

sw07 05-05-2011 10:18 AM

WOW! Impressive progress-Congrats!

wowgirl88 05-05-2011 10:24 AM

Michael, congratulations on the transformation so far.
All I have to add (aside from what other have said), is back when I used to play golf, my mum would call me the comeback kid. If I have a crappy first 9 holes, you could guarentee that the back 9 I'd "come back", and kick ass.
So as far as you calling it a "failure story", don't even bother, because as you said, the story is far from over. From now on, I give you the title of Come Back Kid, because you deserve it far more than me.
Thanks for being such an inspiration, not only to myself, but to everyone else on the forums, posters and lurkers alike.
Cheers.

nottango 05-05-2011 11:02 AM

AWESOME JOB!!! Your wife must feel like she's cheating on you - with YOU!:D

VTC17 05-05-2011 12:38 PM

Congratulations. That is very impressive.

lastri 05-05-2011 12:52 PM

Congratulation, that's amazing.
Mai

peppy35 05-05-2011 03:15 PM

congratulations !!!

You have done remarkably well for one year.. Many cudos to you dude!!

Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration - if you can do it so can I! :)

sarkai90 05-05-2011 05:49 PM

Amazing!!!! Congratulations on your success... you are an inspiration to all of us, including those who only have a few pounds left to lose. If you can lose 200 pounds in a year, I should be able to lose 6 more pounds, right?!? :) And the fact that you've done it on your own in a healthy way is truly remarkable. Keep up the good work... can't wait to see your "after" pics!

mecompco 05-06-2011 10:04 AM

A Better Pic

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a little better comparison--not quite the same pose, but closer. First is the same pic, second was taken this afternoon. Same Jeep, same guy (more or less--mostly less ;-)

Attachment 91Attachment 90

Regards,
Michael

01gt4.6 05-06-2011 10:31 AM

I think you lost a 1/2 just in hair. You looked like a hippie before. :D

mecompco 05-06-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 45774)
I think you lost a 1/2 just in hair. You looked like a hippie before. :D

Ha ha--I KNEW someone was gonna point that out :D. Yeah, I went two years w/o a haircut--I agree that was a bit much. I've got some really old pics of when I had the ZZ Top beard going as well.

Regards,
Michael

Misery16226 05-08-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 45770)
Here's a little better comparison--not quite the same pose, but closer. First is the same pic, second was taken this afternoon. Same Jeep, same guy (more or less--mostly less ;-)

Attachment 91Attachment 90

Regards,
Michael

Amazing Job !
You look great!

Florida Ray 05-10-2011 02:39 AM

Thank you so much for posting your progress.
This is a great inspiration to me personally as I have a goal of losing 165 pounds.
Best wishes to you!

mecompco 05-10-2011 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Florida Ray (Post 46062)
Thank you so much for posting your progress.
This is a great inspiration to me personally as I have a goal of losing 165 pounds.
Best wishes to you!

You're welcome! I've still got a ways to go--another 50 lbs off the mid-section at least but it's come pretty well for only a year.

If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco 05-04-2012 09:18 AM

Two Year Anniversary

4 Attachment(s)
Hard to believe another year has passed!

This was me in '09, not at my biggest, but close:
Attachment 332

This was me last year (one-year anniversary):
Attachment 333

Here I am today on the second anniversary of my lifestyle change and re-joining FitDay:
Attachment 334
Attachment 335

It just goes to show that if "I" can do this than anyone can. Keep up the good fight, everyone and don't ever give up!

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 05-04-2012 09:44 AM

Good on you, Michael. Job well done! Thanks for posting pics of your journey; very motivational.

I bet you feel a whole lot better now, too.

01gt4.6 05-04-2012 10:12 AM

Your progress still amazes me. Hey you almost look like Billy Bob Thronton in the last pic.:D

mecompco 05-06-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 80417)
Your progress still amazes me. Hey you almost look like Billy Bob Thronton in the last pic.:D

They call it a sling-blade! ;)

Regards,
Michael

nobe 05-06-2012 06:49 AM

That is incredible. You must be very proud of yourself. What an inspiration.

frenchhen3 05-07-2012 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by mecompco (Post 80496)
They call it a sling-blade! ;)

Regards,
Michael

mmmmhmmm... mustard

jptfenwick 05-07-2012 03:25 AM

incredible success

Michael

good for you. what you accomplished is truly amazing and is a testimonial for others.

thanks for sharing.

RunbikeSki 05-07-2012 11:17 AM

"Every girl loves a sharped dress man" Huey Lewis

Awesome Michael!

almeeker 05-08-2012 12:56 AM

Awesome job, very proud, getting a little misty here, sniff sniff.

mecompco 05-08-2012 01:26 AM

Thanks for the kind comments! I hesitate to call this a success story as I've proven more than once that I can lose weight successfully but not keep it off. I figure considering my journey to be a WIP is safer way of looking at it.

Regards,
Michael