Notices

Whoo hoo! Lost inches!

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default Whoo hoo! Lost inches!

Since starting, I've lost a total of two inches around my waist and one inch around my hips! Yeah!

I'm not only happy that I'm losing inches, but that I'm losing more around my waist than my hips. It's always been hard for me to fit into any off-the-shelf size, because my waist measurement corresponds to one size, and my hip measurement corresponds to two or three sizes below that. So, I can either have a baggy butt or severe muffin top. I usually compromise and have both. Very attractive! (Actually, I discovered yoga pants recently, and wear them all the time. That helps a lot. I have one pair that I actually have to hold onto while I walk, or they start to fall down. Tee hee!)

Anyway it's nice to see that waist/hip ratio starting to even out a little.

One thing I'm not entirely sure on, is where are you supposed to measure your waist? I've heard around the belly button, where you bend (when bending to the side), and the smallest part. All three of those are slightly different, for me. I've been measuring at the smallest part, which is way higher than any pants waistband would ever come. (Unless I was wearing some kind of 70's fashions, I suppose.)

I guess the important thing is to be consistent, but I still wonder.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your loss, Wanda! That is great news. It's so nice to see the rewards from being consistent, eh? I definitely hear you about pants troubles... I'm thick-waisted, so I need a bigger size for the waist, which leaves me with - you guessed it - baggy butt syndrome. But this wasn't so bad when I was thinner, so I'm looking forward to looking better in pants...and everything else.
Anyway, I do believe the 'correct' place to measure your waist is at/around your belly button - for simplicity's sake, I find it easiest to just measure at my belly button.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your success! Keep up the good work!

I saw on Dr. Oz's show this week that the correct measurement for your waist is between the bottom of your rib cage and the top of your hips. That might be where you belly button is, though. I haven't tried it yet. =)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on the inches lost!

I just measure my waist at the smallest part because it's more accurate for me to measure in the same spot the next month. I measure my hips at the largest spot. Not sure if that's right or wrong, but it works for me.

My mom still rocks wicked high waisted shorts/pants. She looks horrendous and I highly recommend running away from that style.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
FitDay Member

I'm cracking up over luckygirl's mom wearing the high waisted pants and shorts and looking horrendous. I hate to say this, but the higher the waist the slimmer you look in them, it's a question I battle everyday, "in fashion" vs "thinner looking" (eeny meany miney mo). This new low waist line might be all the rage, but you have to be so stinking skinny to make them look good, and heaven forbid you bend over or squat down and show off a little crack (or more than a little). I'm glad that this season shirts are longer, that's all I'm saying...

BTW wanda, glad to hear that you've lost inches, and it rocks that your waist/hip ratio has improved. I have the exact opposite problem, my fanny is at least a size (more like 2) larger than my waist, so I usually have "baggy waist" or "pants won't say up" issues. It used to be much worse, but then I had kids, which was a fix in the wrong direction if you know what I'm saying.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker-Go to Kohl's and look for Lee One True Fit jeans. I battle the baggy waistband too, I think it's because I have more curve in my spine than most, which really doesn't help with the potbelly issue. Usually I have a muffin top going on in the front and a huge gap in the back-ugh! I could spend an entire day trying on jeans, try on 50 pairs, and be lucky to come away with 2 I didn't feel hideous in. But those Lee jeans actually fit!! And... they make styles that hit 1 inch below the belly button to contain the flab and asscrack without hideous momjean styling