Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Success Stories
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default Burned a Boatload of Calories this past weekend...

Amazingly I'm relatively free from any soreness today

I ran a 5k race on Saturday, placed 166th out of 1075 Overall and finished 10th out of 30 in my age division. I also beat my previous 5k run time by 3 1/2 minutes.

Sunday-I just got a new bicycle comp and had to try it out. Went for a 21 mile bike ride along the American River bike trail which took 1:40.
I was feeling whupped at the end of day tho......I think I was in bed by 8:30.

So what did you'all do over the weekend?
__________________
2014 Race Schedule

4/26 Parkway 1/2- DNF
7/4 Firecracker 5k
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mtlgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 663
Default

Wow, that is amazing, SW! Good for you. I find this very inspiring. I really would like to be able to run a 5k race!

I had an active weekend too.. maybe not compared to yours though. On Saturday I went for a run: 28 minutes of running and 15 minutes of powerwalking. Then Sunday I went for an 8K powerwalk mostly uphill. After that I went for a 25-minute bike ride, also going up and down hills. Later, I shopped with my Mom for 3 hours and if any of you knew my mom you would know what crazy shopping marathons that little lady can go on!
__________________
Rose
.................................................. ..........................
starting weight 198
current weight: 174
total weight loss: 24 pounds
goal weight: 145
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...?Owner=mtlgirl

Last edited by mtlgirl; 07-26-2010 at 04:12 PM.
mtlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlgirl View Post
Wow, that is amazing, SW! Good for you. I find this very inspiring. I really would like to be able to run a 5k race!

I had an active weekend too.. maybe not compared to yours though. On Saturday I went for a run: 28 minutes of running and 15 minutes of powerwalking. Then Sunday I went for an 8K powerwalk mostly uphill. After that I went for a 25-minute bike ride, also going up and down hills. Later, I shopped with my Mom for 3 hours and if any of you knew my mom you would know what crazy shopping marathons that little lady can go on!
No need to compare, as long as your out there making an effort, it's all good
It took me a while to get the strength & confidence to run with a bunch of strangers, but it's really no big deal now....
I'm working my way up to running 10k events because there's a couple of events that I want to enter next year.

The Eppie's Great Race Triathlon (gonna try the IronMan Div.) TheGreat Race 37
and Tough Mudder the toughest one day endurance race on the planet - Tough Mudder < this one looks scary, but brutally tempting....
__________________
2014 Race Schedule

4/26 Parkway 1/2- DNF
7/4 Firecracker 5k
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Good for you!

Friday night I jogged one mile in pretty good time, did three 400m sprints and two 100m dashes.
Then Saturday I went swimming for two hours.
But Sunday I didn't do anything! I went shopping, instead

Still, I'm feeling pretty good this morning. And this is the first Monday I've had in a while where my scale gave me a smaller number than it read on Friday!

Weekend exercise seems to be the thing - I just need to keep at it
JulieTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 53
Default

Very nice.

I went for a long bike ride yesterday, rode 53 miles in about 4 hours (including 30 mins rest)... I had a great time, at least until it started pouring. I got soaked during the last 15 miles or so. My GPS watch/heart monitor said I burned around 4300 calories.
__________________
5/15/2009: 335 pounds ----> 9/20/2010: 220 pounds 115 pounds lost!
My Story: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...ks-fitday.html
My Blog: http://www.fagerstrom.us
mfagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default

Dang! 53 miles....thats awesome. After 17miles, I started to get monkey butt....

Just did a weekend of waterskiing,tubing and an attempt at wake boarding..
Feelin' sore, but in a good way....
__________________
2014 Race Schedule

4/26 Parkway 1/2- DNF
7/4 Firecracker 5k
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mtlgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 663
Default

Great work, Guys!

I have a question for you athletic types. I am running my first 5K race this coming Thursday. I started running on May 26th and now I can run 5K in just under 35 minutes. I don't care where I place. It's just a HUGE accomplishment for me to be able to do this considering how unbelievably out of shape I was just 3 months ago. Do you have any tips on what and when I should eat the day of the race? I am a little nervous to run without my iPod but apparently we are not allowed to wear headphones during the race. Bummer. I use the music tempo to motivate myself.

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!
__________________
Rose
.................................................. ..........................
starting weight 198
current weight: 174
total weight loss: 24 pounds
goal weight: 145
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...?Owner=mtlgirl
mtlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
sw07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlgirl View Post
Great work, Guys!

I have a question for you athletic types. I am running my first 5K race this coming Thursday. I started running on May 26th and now I can run 5K in just under 35 minutes. I don't care where I place. It's just a HUGE accomplishment for me to be able to do this considering how unbelievably out of shape I was just 3 months ago. Do you have any tips on what and when I should eat the day of the race? I am a little nervous to run without my iPod but apparently we are not allowed to wear headphones during the race. Bummer. I use the music tempo to motivate myself.

Any tips would be helpful! Thanks!
Congrats on your 1st 5k race! I'm also running a 5k this Saturday (my 3rd race).
As for pre-race food,I'll eat my usual breakfast (egg white omlette in a whole wheat pita) but I'll eat half of what I usually eat-I still get a lil nervous on race day and can only eat a lil bit.

As for not having an Ipod, that can suck, but once you get into a pack of runners, the energy an adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine. Just don't start out too fast, I did that on my fist race and had a slight calf pull at the 1st mile marker- not fun.

Make sure you stretch real good prior and don't worry about your time or where you place, just have fun

There's some good info here-
Runner's World: Running Shoes, Marathon Training, Racing
__________________
2014 Race Schedule

4/26 Parkway 1/2- DNF
7/4 Firecracker 5k
10/5 Urban Cow 1/2
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mtlgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07 View Post
Congrats on your 1st 5k race! I'm also running a 5k this Saturday (my 3rd race).
As for pre-race food,I'll eat my usual breakfast (egg white omlette in a whole wheat pita) but I'll eat half of what I usually eat-I still get a lil nervous on race day and can only eat a lil bit.

As for not having an Ipod, that can suck, but once you get into a pack of runners, the energy an adrenaline will kick in and you'll be fine. Just don't start out too fast, I did that on my fist race and had a slight calf pull at the 1st mile marker- not fun.

Make sure you stretch real good prior and don't worry about your time or where you place, just have fun

There's some good info here-
Runner's World: Running Shoes, Marathon Training, Racing
Thank you so much for the helpful advice! I've watched a couple of short videos on this site you sent and I'm glad I did. I know I was on the right track with my thinking so that's good.

I think I'll try to do my run tomorrow without music to see how it goes, so that race day isn't the first time I have to do it.

Do you know if all races oblige runners to run without headphones?

Good luck on your race Saturday!
__________________
Rose
.................................................. ..........................
starting weight 198
current weight: 174
total weight loss: 24 pounds
goal weight: 145
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...?Owner=mtlgirl
mtlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2