FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Success Stories (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/)
-   -   Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/success-stories/1346-hydrostatic-body-fat-testing.html)

sw07 06-17-2010 04:26 AM

Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing

I was at my chiropractors office last week and they had some flyers on the counter regarding a mobile hydrostatic body fat testing service for July 1st.

I figured what heck, so I signed up and it was only $49 bux. I've been really wanting to know my exact body fat percentage and have only been using the online calculators and as of today (6/17/10) I'm at 14.9% BF and I just turned 43.

I really wish I had done this when I was still a fat basterd back in March '09- that's when I started my journey and I weighed around 212-215lbs.
*EDIT* I just went back to when I started keeping track (3/30/09) and plugged in the numbers and here's where I started at:
Body Mass Index: 30.8 kg/m2
Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.64
Percent Body Fat: 32.5%
Lean Body Mass: 140.4 lb

WOW! 32.5% Body fat compared to today's 14.9%

So has anybody out there done this test? Sounds pretty simple and quick.
I've also been training for my first 5k run on July 3rd, and it's gonna be interesting to see what my percentage will be by the 1st.

Here's the link-
Welcome to Body Fat Test Home

cjohnson728 06-17-2010 06:50 AM

Congrats on getting it down!!

Pretty interesting...what did you have to do? How did your results from this compare with what you were getting from the online calculators?

Good luck on your first 5K! I'm trying to get up the nerve to do one but will probably wait until this southern heat passes a bit :o!

sw07 06-17-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 13695)
Pretty interesting...what did you have to do? How did your results from this compare with what you were getting from the online calculators?

Good luck on your first 5K! I'm trying to get up the nerve to do one but will probably wait until this southern heat passes a bit :o!

I used this online calculator-http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

I still have 2 weeks until I do the hydro test, but is's supposed to be the best & most absolute way to find body fat %.

Ya, I'm a lil nervous about running that far during the summer months, but we've been having a mild summer so far......

cjohnson728 06-17-2010 07:50 AM

So sorry...I thought the 14.9% was the one they measured hydrostatically. You have made awesome progress...be sure to check in after you have it done so we can see what it was like...:)

sw07 06-17-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 13699)
So sorry...I thought the 14.9% was the one they measured hydrostatically. You have made awesome progress...be sure to check in after you have it done so we can see what it was like...:)

Most definitely, I'm also curious to see how close the online calculators are.

sw07 07-01-2010 12:41 PM

*Up Date*
Got my results today from the mobile hydrostatic bodyfat testing service.
The test was at 12:30pm and I weighed in at 162lbs.
My body fat percentage is at 12.8% :D

I also plugged in the same numbers into the online calculator that I've been using and those numbers were way different.This one told me I was at 19.3%.
Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator

So ya- If you can afford to do it, do it. I also got a detailed report of current status and goals, target weight, and my actual resting metabolic rate and which exercises will burn the most calories.

blackrhino2 07-01-2010 01:41 PM

Great job SW! What is your target body fat percentage? It seems like might be there?! I don't know your height or anything about what amount of fat you're working towards.

I wonder which variable makes the site over estimate your body fat %. I'm gonna go to the site now and check out my stats.

Also, if you get the chance could you write out what exercises they recommended to burn the most calories?

Thank you for sharing and congrats again on your awesome stats!

cjohnson728 07-01-2010 01:42 PM

That's fantastic, sw07! I'm sure it made your day :). Be proud!!

Now, on to the 5K!

sw07 07-02-2010 04:59 AM

Ya thanks! It’s good to see all of my hard work is paying off.
The tech suggested 10% bf for my next goal and to re-test in 6 months.
I’m 43 and 5’-9” and have been consistently stuck at 160lbs for a few months now
My girlfriend keeps telling me that I don’t need to lose any more weight, but I keep telling her I just want to get a little more leaner.:D

I really dunno what the variable would be, but I took my measurements prior to getting dunked and also used the weight the tech used when I plugged in those numbers into the online calc. I was a little shocked at how much it varied.

I’ll scan and post the exercise vs. calories burned info later today.

Thanks again for the congrats and ya, the news definitely made my day!:D
Tomorrow is the 5k run- woohoo!

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 14897)
Great job SW! What is your target body fat percentage? It seems like might be there?! I don't know your height or anything about what amount of fat you're working towards.

I wonder which variable makes the site over estimate your body fat %. I'm gonna go to the site now and check out my stats.

Also, if you get the chance could you write out what exercises they recommended to burn the most calories?

Thank you for sharing and congrats again on your awesome stats!

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7...din30minac.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sw07 02-11-2011 07:40 PM

6 Month Up-date:
Re-tested today and I'm now at 11.5% BF

01gt4.6 02-12-2011 02:23 AM

that's very impressive.

sw07 02-12-2011 03:43 AM

Thanks Mike.
The 11.5% is a great number, but I fell short of my goal number of 10%.
No biggie tho, I also didn't factor in the holidays....

The next test will be in August, that gives me plenty of time and better weather to work out in.
The next goal will be a 4.4lb fat loss with a target weight of 155.6Lbs.
The chart says this will put me in 9% bf range.

I also found out my new resting metabolic rate,it was 1888 and it's now 1892.

I'd like to find a Bod Pod and compare the results.

basic212 03-02-2011 09:14 AM

Check out the body fat calculating guide by a woman named Leigh Peele. She goes into the research on all available methods. Worth the free read if you are going to drop cash.

cjohnson728 06-25-2011 02:25 AM

Finally had the opportunity to do this today!

Apparently I am at 18.8%. My goal was to be below 20%, so that feels good. I know you guys are posting awesome numbers, but for being 43 years old, female, and in shape for the first time in my life, I'll take the number I got :). Supposedly it's the 90th percentile for my age and sex and in the "athlete" range.

So I say I passed my test.

Now, I've got to keep it up!

sw07 06-29-2011 04:40 AM

Cool! You did it! Just saw your post & congrats on the great numbers:D

Did you find it hard to blow out all the air out of your lungs while underwater?
I hate that part:mad:

cjohnson728 06-29-2011 06:50 AM

Yes, and apparently I didn't do it fast enough; I stopped, then started blowing again. Once I got the hang of it, it was okay, but I kept thinking I would pass out getting rid of all the air...

I still don't exactly understand the science behind it, but I trust it.

sw07 06-29-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 49598)
Yes, and apparently I didn't do it fast enough; I stopped, then started blowing again. Once I got the hang of it, it was okay, but I kept thinking I would pass out getting rid of all the air...

I still don't exactly understand the science behind it, but I trust it.

I think it's a buoyancy thing- fat floats, the less air in the lungs the more accurate the results will be.....I think:confused:

RunbikeSki 06-29-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 49294)
Finally had the opportunity to do this today!

Apparently I am at 18.8%. My goal was to be below 20%, so that feels good. I know you guys are posting awesome numbers, but for being 43 years old, female, and in shape for the first time in my life, I'll take the number I got :). Supposedly it's the 90th percentile for my age and sex and in the "athlete" range.

So I say I passed my test.

Now, I've got to keep it up!

Cassie that is super! You are, indeed, in superior shape!
But... I hate to sound like your mother (as noted in other threads), s'plain to me why you stess about a pound or 2? :rolleyes: It looks like you are exactly where you should be - an athelete! I mean wow, anything below 20% is worth celebrating in a big way!

01gt4.6 06-29-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 49627)
Cassie that is super! You are, indeed, in superior shape!
But... I hate to sound like your mother (as noted in other threads), s'plain to me why you stess about a pound or 2? :rolleyes: I looks like you are exactly where you should be - an athelete! I mean wow, anything below 20% is worth celebrating in a big way!

ditto.

cjohnson728 06-29-2011 04:40 PM

Honestly, guys, I think it's the fear of sliding all the way back down the slippery slope if I start letting go a little bit. I fully agree it's not a rational thought and I'm working on it.

RunbikeSki 06-29-2011 04:52 PM

Yeah, I get it. But for me, at some point I have to begin trusting my instincts regarding food. At the moment they are mostly good (as I suspect yours are, Cassie). But I know it is tough letting go of the control granted by logging in every morsel, every day. Besides what a great cadre of friends we all have here!

This week has been easy 'cuz of fasting - no logging foods but lots of contact through the forums.

Oh crap!! I've hyjacked the thread again :eek:.

sw07 05-02-2012 05:23 AM

Thread Revival....
I got re-tested today since it's been about 15 months since my last one.
Since that time, my gym membership ran out and I've trying to work out at home and still run quite frequently, but it wasn't enough and I'm now at 18.9% body fat:mad: Blech
No biggie, just renewed the gym membership as of yesterday and I started to log all my food again and I've got some long runs planned, just gotta watch the caloric intake.

RunbikeSki 05-02-2012 06:10 AM

Glad you bumped this thread. I really want to get mine done, but haven't gotten it together to contact the place and make an appointment. As far as I can tell the closest lab is about an hour away, so that's gotta be taken into account too. But now that the thread has come back up, it reminds me to try to find a date.

RunbikeSki 05-02-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by sw07 (Post 80252)
Thread Revival....
I got re-tested today since it's been about 15 months since my last one.
Since that time, my gym membership ran out and I've trying to work out at home and still run quite frequently, but it wasn't enough and I'm now at 18.9% body fat:mad: Blech
No biggie, just renewed the gym membership as of yesterday and I started to log all my food again and I've got some long runs planned, just gotta watch the caloric intake.

IDK, SW... that's still pretty awesome. Good luck getting your "old body" back at the gym. I remember when you were discussing the membership issues - glad you were able to get back to it.

sw07 05-02-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 80256)
IDK, SW... that's still pretty awesome. Good luck getting your "old body" back at the gym. I remember when you were discussing the membership issues - glad you were able to get back to it.

Thanks...I knew I would plump up a little once I stopped being a gym rat. I decided to pay in full for a year once I got my tax return back.
I went this morning @ 5:30am and it was a lil weird running on the tredmill, I'd much rather be on the trail somewhere outside.
It's all good tho, I'm shooting for 15% BF for the next re-test in 6 months.

SailorDoom 05-02-2012 02:41 PM

Hi guys,
Not sure if this fits in here, but maybe it will help someone out: I just found out yesterday that my University does hydrostatic testing for free (along with VO2 max, caliper measurements, and all sorts of other tests). There's a large exercise science program and students have to do a number of these tests on "clients" to complete their various certifications. It is all done under the supervision of experienced instructors. Sounds a little like getting your hair styled at the local cosmetology school, but maybe a little less scary. It might be worth looking into for folks who can't afford these tests or people that live far away from the usual labs, etc.
Cheers!

sw07 10-25-2012 06:14 AM

5 months later, retested this morning and got 18.7% bf, not much of a change but I did increase my muscle mass by 3 lbs. and my resting metabolic rate went up some.

RunbikeSki 10-26-2012 05:37 AM

I finaly go the chance to get mine done 2 weeks ago --17.7% whoo hoo! We will be retesting 2 weeks from now. I doubt it will change much, but I would love to get down to 15% (and not lower!)

sw07 10-26-2012 06:16 AM

I'm shooting for 16% for my next test 6mos from now, I wish I could get back to 11.5% I had a couple years ago.

01gt4.6 10-26-2012 07:18 AM

I know you were hoping for better numbers but congrats on continuing to make a change in the right direction.