50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14 >

50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14

Notices

50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14

Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Slow and Steady

Hi there,

I am still having trouble sitting down due to the nerve cluster being injured from the fall down the stairs. However, I can walk just fine now and the bruise on the back of my leg from the steps is much smaller now. The light massages my husband gives me are definitely working.

Despite some swelling on the leg, if it wasn't for the pain from the nerve cluster, I think I would be fine. I have continued along with the diet and exercise. I still can't fully complete the kegel stretches, but I am starting to try them again.

Today I am 197.00 pounds! I switched to eating a salad every other day with the same calorie content as my soup for lunch. The main difference is the amount of sodium I intake, so i seem to be losing weight faster now that I only intake about 220 mg of sodium during lunch instead of about 860 (soup + egg whites). It also has only 5% of the cholesterol the regular lunch has and 1/2 the fat (although the same saturated fat).

Lunch Alternative (every even day):

Iceberg Lettuce (1 cup)
Cherry Tomatoes (5 each)
Baby carrots, (1/2 cup shredded)
Generic Mild, Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese (1/3 cup)
Mrs Dash Original salt-free seasoning, (1 tsp)
Hard-Boiled Egg Whites (large eggs), (2 eggs total)
Cucumbers, (1/2 cup without peel)

I crumble the egg whites and mix it into the salad. I REALLY miss having an added on dressing. But, once I found out that all dressings have too much fat, or cholesterol, or sodium in them, I wasn't interested in having some anymore. I still love the soups, and I mix them around. Usually, I still eat the pot pie the most. My husband suggested lemon juice to add, but I don't favor a lemon juice salad. Vinegar is loaded with sugar and carbs (about double my intake from any food item) and has about 225 calories per serving, so the vinegar throws off a lot of things. Having a plain salad seems a lot healthier and easier for me to have for keeping the weight off.

Regular Lunch (every odd day):
Progresso soup, Light Chicken Pot Pie, (1/2 can)
Hard-Boiled Egg Whites (large eggs), (2 eggs total)
Hard-Boiled Egg Whites (large eggs), (1 egg + 1/2 yolk)

Only 7 pounds to the end of the first plan!

We are still in Phase IV. At this rate, Phase V will be only a week long or so, and then I will jump into the new plan. My husband still needs the data from even a small attempt at Phase V for stability at the end of all of this.

We went over everything and based on my initial weight vs my second plan goal, I am aiming for 85 pounds to be lost within 12 months. At this point, I have lost 38 pounds in less than 4 months, and I am almost 1/2 way to that overall goal!

Today I tried a dress my mother had given me 15 years ago. Even then, I was a little larger and couldn't fit into it, but today I COULD! It is so exciting! It is still a little snug when sitting down, but I am so happy right now! It helps keep me motivated to do even more, so although I look at running and jogging with some minor concern, I think I CAN do it.

I will update here as the exercise regimen changes. My husband is pleased I am trying to look ahead, instead of just being in the moment like I usually do.

Anyway, that's my update for today. See you next time!

Last edited by TT2014; 08-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default Still Melting Off the Pounds

Hi there,

My husband tells me the switch up of items in my diet have been helping my metabolism process more efficiently. in Phase IV, here are my RDA averages (since my diet changes back and forth every couple of days):

1135 mg sodium
265g carbs
90g sugars
28g fat
57g of protein
100 mg cholesterol
3g of saturated fats
1825 calories on non-exercise days
1950 calories on exercise days

In 4 months, my blood pressure medication has been cut from 100mg down to 25mg and I average 115/75 now.

I have shed another 1.8 pounds since the 19th, and I am now down to 195.2 pounds!

I am now within 5.2 pounds of my first plan! My husband said this is still faster than anticipated, but he thinks this is still due to the changes going on by having a fat reduction plan.

The new plan to push for 150 pounds is about ready for me to follow, but I will be pushing this current plan through Phase V for 7-10 days. Any weight I lose during that time (if any) will be a bonus. I will be going up to 2000 calories and reduce my exercising to 2 days a week, twice in a day. The goal is to implement a diet and exercise routine that would be "normal". No special dieting tactics, just eating healthy. No special exercise, just walking and a little stretching and breathing. All in all, I am thrilled how well the plan has been going. I have ended up breaking the diet or exercise portion of the plan 10 times during the last 4 months (it will be 4 months on 8/25/2014), but my husband has always pulled me back on track, and I have now lost almost exactly 40 pounds in the process.

My old pants have reached the point where I don't feel like going out in public with them anymore. There is just too much space for my thighs. The left saddlebag is finally starting to go down. At this rate, it will still be there, but much smaller by the next plan.

The bruise on the back of my leg is now yellow/bluish. It is now about 2" x 3" and almost gone. The second bruise next to it is completely gone. I still get some minor pain sitting down on chairs and such from the nerve cluster injury, but everything else is fine.

Today my husband made himself some bread from our bread machine and the smell was so good I thought I was going to die! The smell was so overpowering that I had to go downstairs. He reminded me he was not on my diet, although he did note that if the smell was that strong, it indicated he needs to check my diet to see if a specific nutrient is running low.

My husband came back later and said it was lactic acid causing the cravings. I am to now eat a spoonful of my yogurt (or 2) and wait 10 minutes when he makes it again, to see if it will still give me hunger pangs, or if it will just smell good and not be a problem.

Last edited by TT2014; 08-25-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default Almost there!

Hi there!

I am now down to 191.6 pounds as of today! I am so excited! I really did it! I never thought I could lose 45 pounds, let alone lose it in just over 4 months! People talk about the success, but experiencing it is another thing altogether!

My husband has built the next plan, which will have me lose 40 more pounds. It will be a combination of lean muscle building and fat burning. Since I am still losing weight at a higher rate than he expected, the diet will be similar. He will be adding in close examination of things such as protein intake, electrolyte balance, water intake, and some complex carbs. I will still be having 6 meals a day (3 small/3 large).

I am having blood work done again soon for a follow-up on my kidney and cholesterol levels, but except for that, my doctor has given me a clean bill of health.

My sprained ankle from falling while walking is almost healed. My husband gave me a really good ankle brace that fits in my shoe and helps me walk. We talked to my doctor and they both think that 2-3 additional weeks without pressing it hard will be needed, as a precaution. So, my husband won't be pushing the jogging/running part of my exercise plan until he is comfortable with how well my ankle has healed.

We will be performing a new series of exercises that I will be posting in the next couple of weeks. Since I am still burning fat off so quickly, he decided to stick to most of the existing diet, and will supplement it as he thinks.

I will be in my Phase V transition diet from the day after I reach 190 pounds until Sept 25th. It will be 2000 calories daily, and I will cut my exercise to 2/week, but still twice a day. My husband said I may gain and lose a couple of pounds during that time, but not to worry, as it would be my body adapting to a more normal routine. After Sept 25th, he will analyze the data collected and we will transition me to Phase I of my new plan.

The only thing we noted as being odd is that I had fresh strawberries as a substitute for watermelon in the morning 2 day period, and I developed what appeared to be a rash across my face and neck about 4 days ago. Based on the odd streaks and color (when examined up close) my husband was concerned it may be either ruptured capillaries or an allergic reaction, so I went to my doctor. My primary doctor wasn't sure either, so he gave me a steroid shot. I've never had one before, so I was a little nervous (I hate needles), but it went fine. The odd redness seems to have left my neck, but my face still looks like I was sunburned with weird lines in my face. My husband said if some of my makeup is older, or I have been using hot water on my face still after years of cleaning makeup off, it could have ruptured the capillaries on my face. I haven't been using hot water, as I switched to lukewarm about a year ago, and have no older makeup, so I have no real idea what is going on. I have to cake makeup on it to cover it, which I don't like to do. My husband said if it does not recede in another 3-4 weeks then we can see about cosmetic laser use to help reduce the effect on my face.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions about this? Except for the strawberries (which I have had all my life and is even in my daily yogurt), I haven't eaten anything off my diet or out of sequence, so I am lost as to why this is happening.

Last edited by TT2014; 08-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hooray! Today I have made my first plan!

Hi there!

Today I have officially reached the 190.00 pound end goal of my first plan!

My husband made me some bread to try as part of a celebration (substituting my Fiber One 90 calorie snack for later). It is a flaxseed, gluten free, soy free, dairy free, rice flour, honey mix. We used the bread machine. It comes out kind of low in height (about 2 inches tall), even with the yeast, but it cooked perfectly. My husband had experimented with it and found he simply had to let it sit for about 1 hour longer than normal to get it to bake well, as the combination took longer than normal with the yeast.
---------
Here is his recipe, which is an examination of several breads to make his own:

Servings: 11 two-inch tall pieces of bread

1/2 cup water
1 large egg white only
1 tablespoon Smart Balance butter
2 tablespoons Local Honey purchased directly from the bee hives owner
1/3 cup Red Mill Organic Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
1/4 cup Betty Crocker All-Purpose Gluten Free Rice Flour
3/4 cup Wheat Free Gluten Free Dairy Free All Purpose Baking Flour
1 teaspoon dried yeast

Directions:

1. Using a one pound capacity bread machine, combine ingredients accordingly.
2. Select 'light' browning setting.
3. Let it mix thoroughly for about 10 minutes, then turn off the machine and let it sit for the remainder of an hour.
4. Turn the machine back on and let it run through its normal 3 hour setting.
5. Don't remove the bread until it is cooled.
6. Store in the refrigerator for about an hour, then cut into slices. The refrigeration helps the center become normal consistency instead of sticky from the honey. It is thicker and heavier per slice than normal bread.

Nutrition Information per Slice of Bread

48.50 calories
10.20 g carbohydrates
1.65 g sugar
0.54 g fat
17.45 mg sodium
0.00 mg cholesterol
1.00 g soluble dietary fiber
1.35 g protein
6.54 mg potassium
---------
It is low sodium, low calorie, low sugar, cholesterol free, low carb, low fat, and good soluble dietary fiber (and low flavor..haha). I had a piece with some of my Smart Balance butter and some cinnamon. It is about 50 calories a slice by itself. It was definitely a different flavor than what I am used to, but it tasted soooo good, especially since I haven't had real bread in a long time. It seemed filling, and I didn't crave more of it when done, so we are both pleased with how it turned out. My husband said it could help me control my appetite cravings based on the flaxseed, and the heaviness of the bread makes my body think it is more "full". I'm not sure how that works, but it definitely feels like it.

We are moving to Phase V as of today. I am being introduced to foods like these and other things to get me back into a more normal diet. My exercise program has officially dropped to two days a week (Mon/Fri) and I will exercise 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening (walking and stationary bike riding).

I won't be having things like hot dogs or red meat, such as hamburgers, but I will be getting a difference in foods, such as wheat spaghetti with turkey bits mixed into the homemade sauce, and I will get to have some brown rice as an alternative to potatoes. These things will add up, and I will be constantly balancing them. I will be on Phase V until September 25th, or until my husband thinks he has enough data (which means it could be sooner, not later). This also gives my ankle time to heal (even though it feels pretty much normal now), as my husband says internal stresses on the ankle will take longer to heal than just physical pain and he wants my ankle in good condition to start jogging on the next plan.

I am soooo happy!!

I'm contacting everyone today to let them all know I made my plan!

My husband is considering getting me a treadmill to help me with jogging and running for the new plan. I feel like that would help me a lot, instead of going outside and running. Especially since I twisted my ankle before. We will have a lot of work ahead to get me to 150 pounds, but I am looking forward to it!

Thanks to everyone for following my story here. I hope my success inspires others to reach their success!
And thanks to all those here who were supportive, every little bit has helped!

I also hope everyone has a safe, healthy and happy Labor Day Weekend!

I will be starting a new thread with the new plan when we begin it!

Last edited by TT2014; 08-31-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Remarkable!! Incredible!!! Inspirational!!

Congrats on hitting your first goal!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Such a motivational story .......and thus it motivates me a lot. Good says "never give up"
Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Before and After

Hi there!

I almost forgot to show the pictures!
My husband doesn't want certain bits of personal info shown on the site, so he cut out the faces.
Still, you can see the BEFORE, with double (almost triple) chins and all!
And you can see the AFTER, with only a single chin! Yay!

BEFORE:
BEFORE:

AFTER:
AFTER:

My friends say losing 45 pounds is like setting down a 7 year old child! Haha!

Thanks again everyone. See you soon!

Last edited by TT2014; 09-03-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by TT2014
Hi there!

I almost forgot to show the pictures!
My husband doesn't want certain bits of personal info shown on the site, so he cut out the faces.
Still, you can see the BEFORE, with double (almost triple) chins and all!
And you can see the AFTER, with only a single chin! Yay!

BEFORE:
BEFORE:

AFTER:
AFTER:

My friends say losing 45 pounds is like setting down a 7 year old child! Haha!

Thanks again everyone. See you soon!
Wow.......!!!!! That's really amazing, remarkable work. Keep going dear, that's really wonderful that you haven't loose hope and trying and trying now here you are. So what's up next you are going to continue with your hard work??
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Anne,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I am definitely going to move forward with the next plan.
My husband has me in his Phase V diet/exercise portion of the first plan, so he can gather data to help me when I finish the second plan.
Basically, Phase V is to put me back to a regular diet/exercise routine that allows me to eat lots of foods, just not a lot of processed foods. Also, no added caffeine, sugar, salt, etc.

He is having me on the Phase V portion until Sept 25th. After that, I will start the new plan to reduce me from about 190 pounds to 150 pounds. I am going to aim for 10 pounds/month at first, but we have 6 months to complete it.

When that plan is finished, I should have lost 85 pounds in less than a year! I am so excited! My husband went out and bought me some size 14 jeans to hang on the closet as a motivator. He is also getting me a treadmill, and is fixing up my bike (tire inner tubes rotted years ago) so I can work on that as well. I will be posting that story in a new success thread once we get started!

Anyway, I am losing about .1 pounds/day right now. Exercise is twice/week and I am eating bread (his homemade bread is soooo good), salads, sweet potatoes, wheat spaghetti with his own sauce mix (coming up on Saturday), different kinds of fish, etc., and its all working very, very well. He is letting me post recipes as he makes them, but he is very analytical and takes a lot of time experimenting before he releases a recipe. The bread recipe is the only one done so far. He told me the weight loss may slow down, and I might even gain a couple pounds, but so far I am down to 189.2 and hit a wall...no more weight loss for now. I can't wait to start the new plan, but he needs data for his book and for ensuring it works for me as a permanent life change.

I'm glad this is helping others. My husband showed me the number of people looking at this thread. I never realized there were so many who read it! I can definitely say that having someone helping you get through the plan is a recipe for success. Even if they don't do the things you are doing, just having them there to encourage you and push you when you need it makes all the difference in the world.

I'm just happy my story is something people like!

Last edited by TT2014; 09-07-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:44 PM
FitDay Member

Its okay its completely my pleasure dear...... And I can suggest you to take proper diet and try to skip non-veg if you are taking it regularly and try any natural supplements, no side effects and control your appetite and helping you to lose weight.
Thanks & Regards
Anne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.