Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Success Stories
50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14 >

50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14

Notices

50 Years Old and Starting Anew! - Originally started on 4/25/14

Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there!

Haha! No, Drgps he said he can't market it directly, because it has to be customized to each individual, and that would require a large amount of logistics. He isn't interested in doing it for anyone else.

But, yes, Kathy, he said it really is just a balanced diet and exercise. It is finding the right "balance" for each person he talks about all the time, but it is just me he is doing this for, although he has been writing up a book regarding this as we go. However, the diet and exercise I am doing may work for others, so I like to share this as it goes in the hopes even part of it helps others in their own journeys (in addition to helping others not make my same mistakes). So many people don't have a clear plan without spending large amounts of money on something someone else made. This plan helps people devise things to match themselves.

I'm sorry if you think this is spam. This is my journey being documented here in my own thread. I wasn't meaning to make it seem otherwise. I was told when I originally started posting this to switch to a different thread than where I started it (somewhere in the beginning areas). The stuff my husband writes about..well, it is pretty lengthy, for sure. I can cut out most of it for the future, since a lot of it I don't really understand anyway.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by TT2014; 08-09-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't say it was spam. I said if you market it here, it's spam!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Kathy,

Ah, sorry about the confusion.

Since he isn't marketing anything here, as it isn't even a completed plan (since he is constantly modifying it to meet my body needs as we go along), then there isn't anything to worry about .

Last edited by TT2014; 08-09-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

I think what you've been posting can most certainly help others! I am very inspired and enjoy reading your posts and what you've most recently accomplished! You are soooo close to breaking away from the 200's and getting into the 100's!!!!! I'm most certain that we'll be reading a post in the very near future that says you've hit your first goal! Keep doing what you're doing!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default I am less than 200 pounds!!

Debbie,

Thanks for the positive reinforcement and kind words!
I will definitely continue and let everyone here know as I go.

Now for the real fun!!!

I weighed myself today and came in at 199.8 pounds!
This means I am officially down by 35.2 pounds from the start of my goal and I only need 9.8 pounds to go! I am so excited!!
It has taken me from April 25th to August 10th to lose the weight!

I did that little dance I told my husband I would do, as I couldn't stop grinning.
He cautioned me, as usual, saying I may bounce back up a little into the 200 pound range. I assured him I would not. He said if I did, not to worry, as some minor variations are expected. I don't want to think about that and I am just going to focus on moving forward and continuing to lose the weight!

He has already started making a diet/exercise routine for me for when I reach my 190 pounds goal. This way, I can go right into the next plan without a problem! I know he thinks 164.9 pounds is the top of the normal range for me for my BMI chart, but I want to set the goal to 155 pounds!

My friends keep asking me what my "secret" is. I try to explain the plan, but it is a lot harder when not writing it down. It is pretty complex as I said before, but the results don't lie!

I am officially 7 weeks and 2 days ahead of schedule on my original projected time-frame of October 31st!
At this rate, I might be 190 pounds as soon as September 10, instead of October 31st!

My husband said my next goal, which I want to be at a 35 pound drop, will "take as long or longer as the original time-frame projected for the first plan", since I will be closer to my ideal BMI/weight as we progress. He said something about "bigger changes (in weight loss) occur the farther outside the normal body weight" and "smaller changes (in weight loss) occur the closer you are to your normal body weight". And that "a more in-depth examination of daily diet and exercise is required as you get closer to your ideal weight, since minor dietary and exercise changes will have less of an impact". Something about the machine (the body) operates better now than it did before as it is working at a higher level of efficiency. Therefore, changes have to be more specific to get the machine to operate even more efficiently than it already is.

Here is the comparison he gave (his words):
--------------------
"Again, like a car, which is a complex series of systems functioning together, the human body requires functional and efficient interaction for the systems to gain an optimal output. Many factors are in play similar to the human body. Age, individual organs, impacts from smoking/drinking/weight, etc. are all factors that cause the body to work less efficiently as time progresses. Therefore, it becomes harder and harder over time for the body to reach peak efficiency. However, peak efficiency varies as we age, so a 50 year old body is not required to function as a 25 year old body, as the systems adapt and change over time. This is unlike a car, which is not self-repairing. The key is finding out the optimal efficiency of a "specific" body. What will cause a human body to operate at its peak. Diet and exercise are part of the equation, but mental attitude and focus are also key components. It is easy to quit and easy to make "little changes" that you think will not affect the outcome, but the real problem is, each deviation DOES affect the outcome. Whether it delays results or negates the beneficial effects altogether (gaining weight and inches), the real concern is to IDENTIFY and MAINTAIN peak efficiency while operating within the dieting program. As the program nears the end, modifications, which slow down the beneficial progress, must be made to allow that person to operate at a "normal" rate of food consumption and exercise. This is necessary to allow a person to live a normal life. We cannot operate at peak efficiency all the time, since age is constantly changing the efficiency of the systems. We cannot even calculate peak efficiency of a specific individual at this course of time in history. The closest we can do is set a goal, then improve the life of the person involved with mental focus and attitude (positive), diet (healthy and balanced), and exercise (healthy and balanced). My wife, who is undergoing this experiment, has benefited from the plan, despite deviations she has attempted thus far, and has found its effects to be as expected or better. Her goals being reached ahead of time demonstrate the theory that the farther one is outside the normal healthy weight/inch range of someone with a specified age, height, and build, then the greater the initial benefits become. As she gets closer and closer to her "ideal", it will become harder to reach the same benefits. The diet and exercise we are pushing her towards (2000 calories daily (healthy)) and 1 hour exercise 2/week) are specific goals setup to prepare her body for the next steps. She will level off, then dive right into the next plan. By starting out at a healthy diet/exercise, it will be easier to gradually bring her down again to lose the weight. It is important to level off and conclude the previous plan at this point to see how she handles the diet/exercise adjustments to a normal life. The data collected will be useful in determining how to repeat the process safely and effectively at the end of her second plan goal, which will place her within her healthy weight range. Reaching the goal is not enough. Maintaining that goal for a long-term period (years) in a realistic manner is what is truly required."
--------------------
He also said modified plans have to exist for different age categories.

Still, I am so excited!

Anyway, that's my update for today. See you next time!

Last edited by TT2014; 08-16-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You should be so proud of your success!!! You're putting in the effort and getting results!! Great job!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Over 200 pounds again, but temporary

Hi there,

Apparently I am now 200.2 pounds again. Why? Not from the exercise or diet. Rather, I slipped at the top of the stairs and fell 7 steps down yesterday!

I have a huge bruise under my right thigh from the steps, what feels like bone bruising at the base of my spine, and my lower back aches horribly.

My husband has been trying to take care of helping with this. He pushed ibuprofen and ice towards me, but I refused the ice for hours. I also refused emergency room treatment, as I don't think they could help me except for the pain with medication. Not using the ice right away turned out to be foolish, as I ache more than ever, and I really should have listened to him. I've tried the ice, hours later, and I get little relief now.

My husband has examined and massaged all three areas. He determined that my lower back may require a chiropractor, that the bruising on my leg should recover (it is the size of his fist and really purple) with proper care (ice and tissue massage). He thinks the nerve bundle at the bottom of my spine may be injured. He is very concerned about this. I had been arguing about something with him and wasn't looking and slipped from the top step of the stairs. I feel so horrible!

Even though I am still following the diet, I cannot get the full exercise I need. My husband said my body may retain fluid (water) to help with the healing process, which is normal, and not to worry about the weight. I am scheduling an appointment with my doctor.

My husband said we may have to completely modify the experiment for diet/exercise if I am unable to complete the exercise portion. He is telling me this is nothing to worry about. He is temporarily laid up in a wheelchair due to multiple procedure ankle surgery (he had lost his right ligament and had to have his tendon grafted to replace it) for another 5 weeks, so it is hard for him to physically help me. I can walk ok, but sitting down on couches, chairs, and other things is painful!

Needless to say this is a very frustrating thing. The argument I had been having was meaningless, and I shouldn't have done it. I can't believe I did this to myself!

Well, I'm trying not to be depressed about this, but it's hard not to be.
I will focus on going to a chiropractor as he has suggested for my low back.
He has been massaging the injury to my leg for me and getting me ibuprofen as needed. He thinks a bit of aloe vera along the bruised area may help reduce the swelling and inflammation, so I will get some of that too.

I am not sure what can be done if the nerve bundle is damaged, as it means I may have hurt myself badly. I hit the steps so hard!

I will keep people updated here if I get better and can continue the plan. The diet is still definitely in place. My husband says the healthy diet and exercise routine should have helped my body's autoimmune system (for the sake of healing) improve, and I might be able to recover from most of this ok.

Anyway, that's my update for today. See you next time.

Last edited by TT2014; 08-12-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch!

Hope you feel better!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Moving Forward Again..slowly

Kathy,

Thanks for the consideration .

My husband has been lightly massaging the areas of injury and my lower spine is feeling better, along with my back and that bruise on my leg. His hands are not very strong due to his muscle weakness, but they work really well for light massages. We are continuing chiropractic care for my lower back. The lower spine nerve cluster seems to have survived..whew.

As it is, I am walking again for 30 minutes, although I feel stiff when I do so. I can't do the kegel stretches, but the breathing exercises are still going strong.

I went back down to 199.2 pounds following the walking this morning, so, I will continue forth with the exercise plan in a limited capacity until I am fully healed.

We measured me (I insist on only waist, hips, and thighs for measurements), and then checked my original stats compared to now, and I went from a size 22W down to barely a size 18W. I am so thrilled! We are discussing how the smallest clothes I have are an 18W right now, and I would need to purchase a new wardrobe in the future. My husband insists I cannot give all the clothes away just yet. He stated if something terrible was to happen in the future, keeping me from exercising and dieting correctly, I may need them again. He told me to hold onto them for 5 years, as they would also be a good motivational factor for wanting to keep me away from fitting into them. He said that after 5 years, I could then start giving them away (slowly over time) if I am able to maintain my body health, size, and weight. He will be buying me new clothes when I get to under 16W, as he feels buying 14W is better than 16W for a short period.

He is telling me the new plan past 190 pounds will involve jogging or even running!?! I haven't jogged or run since I was 22 years old. I told him I don't think I can. He told me I will, and that we will make the changes together, and to remember that it is a gradual process. Still, it makes me nervous.

We discussed the second plan a little, and we finally agreed I will go down to 150 pounds (he wants 155 pounds). I feel that if I can set 10 pound goals from 190, then it is easier for me to stay motivated. That will be discussed a little later.

Anyway, that's my update for today. See you next time!

Last edited by TT2014; 08-13-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Glad to her your fall isn't keeping you from exercising...even if it is a reduced level. As for running, I too once felt I couldn't run! Once you gradually get yourself into a running program, you'll soon learn that much of it is mind over matter. Seriously! Your mind will give up much sooner than your body. I'm sure your husband will design a walk/ run program that will ease you into running, so don't fret too much about it now. You'll get there slowly over time

All the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.