Notices

Seeking a healthy lifestyle that will last!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

I just read through your entire thread, your story is truely inspiring. I'm a lot younger, man, with 2 kids and a wonderful wife. I set out on my marathon less than a week ago. Already my energy is way up just from changing how I eat. Eating clean, keeping track of my calories, keeping a nice balanced diet of 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats (and avoiding trans fat at all costs!) It's nice to read others' succes stories, it is like confirming that I can do what I set out to do because like you, I finally made the decision to have a healthy life, not just "take off some weight"

Anyways I just wanted to say way to go and keep it going! So awesome to read about other peoples stories when they are honest. I started a thread of honesty of in the Newcomers section of the forums if you feel like stopping by, updating it pretty regular right now, only been at this for a week and it's going to be a long road. In fact, I plan on it be a life-long road, where I follow a healthy lifestyle and never even look back down the road of unhealthy binge eating that I was on before! Thanks again for sharing from the heart, and congratulations!

Last edited by Prospect84; 12-20-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Prospect 84! Good luck to you in your journey!

Just a quick update from me. I'm literally on my way out the door here but saw it's been almost a month since I've updated anything. Well...good news on the home front. As of Monday, I was finally taken off of the blood pressure medication!! I hated taking that stuff! Don't know why, but I didn't like the idea of taking it! Now, hopefully I'll be able to stay off of it. I'm down to 168 pounds and no longer "obese"....only "overweight" by the fitday standards, so I'll take it. That may not mean anything to some of you, but to those of us that have been in the obese range, it means a heck of a lot!!

Just out of curiousity I tried on a dress that had been in my closet for years. Didn't think it would fit and wouldn't you know it....it does fit!!! A size 8!!! I have gone from a size 22 to a size 8 since this summer! Now, to be completely honest I'm sure the size is a little off because none of my other sizes are near an 8 but I will wear that one size 8 with pride for now

I was also able to go into a department store and saw a shirt I'd like to try on. The large looked a bit big and there was no medium so I figured I try on the small and maybe by the summer I'd be able to wear it. Well, I can wear it NOW!!! At the last doctors visit, within a month my body fat percentage had dropped another 4% while my muscle had increased 2.1% so the weight training and cardio are paying off. I really do feel like I'll be able to meet my goals this time. I'm steadily dropping 1-2 pounds per week so it is slow and steady towards my goal. For the first time in a LLLLOOOONNNNGGG time, I'm actually looking forward to summer!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

Well, as updates go, I'm still losing and doing well. As of today I'm down to 154.2. My doctor had set the initial goal for me of 150 which I privately knew I wanted to be at 125 but at the time that seemed so unreachable. Now, I think it may not only be doable, but this may be one of the first times in my life that I have set a long term goal, stuck with it...and then reached it. Yes, I know, I still have some more weight to lose but I've come so far...I just don't see any stopping at this point.

I was trying to think about what to post this month, rather than the same ol' same ol'. I always try to post on something that I've learned or experienced, some new goal I've reached....I've tried to stay positive because I really feel like staying positive throughout this difficult journey is one of the things that has helped keep me on target. However, I do want to share some of the changing of the tides (so to speak) in the levels of support that I have received from others around me. Now, not to bash these people, because I really don't think the things that they say are meant to be hurtful or harmful, but when people are losing weight, I just don't think others really understand how impactful their words can be.

When I started losing weight, I got mostly positive feedback. You know, everyone is a cheerleader at that point. They are all happy that you've made the decision to make a change. What really made me happy was as the weight loss really started to show, I started to have other women come to me that struggled with their weight and ask me what I was doing. I have had some really great conversations with these women and even started a few new friendships out of this bonding over our struggles. I loved sharing my story that I was once embarrassed about if that meant it could help motivate someone else to make some healthier changes.

Now.....the reactions started changing, I'd say when I hit about the 65 to 70 pound loss range. The conversations always start with some compliment and then "how much weight have you lost??" Now when it was just 30 pounds or so, the response was usually "that's great!" or something like that. Now that the numbers have increased...I do still get the supportive "that's great!" but there's also an "oh my gosh!!" with an additional look over of my body....and then the dreaded question that has now been added....."well, how much MORE do you want to lose?" OR just the closing comment of "well, I hope you aren't planning on losing too much more" or "don't lose too much weight" or " wow, you don't look tired or anything..alot of people that lose that much weight look so tired!" or "did you have weight loss surgery??"...the list goes on and on.....

I think the one that offends me the most is " just don't lose too much weight". I really would like to ask them. Do you have any idea how hard it is to lose this amount of weight in the first place and then maintain it? Do you think I actually want to lose TOO MUCH weight?? It's hard enough just to try to hit an ideal weight, much less being under weight. And for the record...I'm 5'3 and small framed (a double curse if you ask me), the weight chart says I should be 104 to 141 pounds to be in a healthy weight range, so technically I'm still overweight. When I've explained that point to people and that I used to weigh 125 just 15 years ago, they remind me I'm no longer in my 20s.....Well that is true but just because I'm older does that mean I'm supposed to throw up my hands and give up and say its ok to be overweight from here on out?? That's what I WAS doing and I wasn't happy or healthy. And maybe I will find that I'll plateau and have a difficult time getting to the 120s.....but it hasn't happened yet so why are other women so determined to tell me I can't or shouldn't do it? Its funny how it seems to start out where people want you to do a good job....just not too good of a job with the weight loss thing. Am I eating enough? Well, lets see...I eat every 2-3 hours and I guarantee the chicken and rice I just ate was healthier than the bag of Cheetos you just ate. Do I exercise? I get up at 4:00 am before the rest of the family wakes up because it is the only time that I have to myself in the day...I do 1 hour of cardio 5 days a week...plus light weights, plus pilates/yoga when I can, oh yeah, I have 3 year old so we play outside/inside 24/7 in between those hours of exercise. If feel like I'm being questioned to see if I'm starving myself because I certainly couldn't have lost all this weight a healthy and natural way...no...that is unheard of!!

One of my good friends that started this journey with me had a heart to heart with me about her losing weight. She started off very strong and was actually losing much quicker than I was. She stalled in her weight loss a few months ago and has never really been able to lose much more and that's really where I began to really pick up on mine. But that's also where I was really able to get my work outs going (I had a fractured foot, and couldn't work out before that because my blood pressure was so dangerously high). After I had vented about some of the negative things people were saying, she admitted that she was happy for me but she was also struggling with being jealous of my success. I admitted I had noticed some of that which is why I no longer mentioned how much I had lost...in fact we really didn't even talk about it anymore unless someone else brought it up. It was one of the those uncomfortable conversations that you sometimes have to have between friends where she thought I was actually passive agressively complaining about her. I'm glad we were able to clear the air but it still makes me feel bad....there's nothing I can do about her frustrations and she is working really hard...

Anyway, what I have learned in the past couple of months is that gaining weight can be a lonely and isolating process but losing weight can also have the same effect at times. Now I'm not saying that I would want to gain it all back because of this!!! No way! But other peoples' reactions can be hurtful. I did have one insightful person say something that I believe to be a bit profound and I am holding onto this. She said....Don't let other people's level of uncomfortableness with YOUR personal success influence your experiences in this journey. She then advised me to keep my numbers private. It's no ones business but mine. So that's what I'm now doing. Of course I'm still telling a few that are close to me. But when others ask, I simply respond..."alot" and smile.

Okay, venting session over. I feel better
Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default One year down, my lifetime to go

Well, its been a year since I started posting. I started by reading my first post and my, my, my how much has changed in a year. I'm happy to say that I have officially lost 100 pounds in the past year. It really does seem like a blur to me but day by day I never gave up and the pounds did come off. I will say that if you stick with it, it really does work! I have gotten a couple of private messages so I will share with those of you that are curious as to how I did it.... I am a fierce calorie counter sticking to 1200 calories a day. I use my fitness pal app on my phone to calculate all of my calories and although it will let you eat more if you exercise, I never added anymore calories into my diet despite the calories I may have burned. I started out walking just as much as I could at a very slow pace...maybe 2.0? for about 30 minutes and now walk a minimum of 5 miles per day ranging from 3.5 to 4.0 mph so a steady pace but by no means a run. I've had some injuries along the way so I've had to nurse those and I've really tried to take care of my body rather than try to push myself to the limits and then end up pulling a muscle which is what I've done in the past. I do a lot of weight exercises using my own body weight, such as crunches, lunges, squats, planks, push ups. If you are looking for a challenge, you can look up 30 day fitness challenges for monthly plans to keep you on track. I use smaller weights while on the treadmill and have just now started using some weights with my squats as I'm getting to the last 10 pounds. Diet wise, I eat about 4-6 times per day...breakfast is about 320 calories followed by a morning snack of 150-200 calories. Lunch is usually 250 to 300 calories and dinner is the same. Depending on the calorie count at that point, I'll have a smoothie after dinner or even have enough for a snack before dinner. I've become an avid recipe hunter for healthy options for the entire family and find that it makes it easier if I can find something that everyone likes, its really about portion control for me. I cannot stress enough how important it has been for me to eat on a regular basis and stay "ahead" of the hunger so to speak. It keeps me in check and in control.

I've been able to go from a size 20-22 down to a size 4 dress/pants and even bought size 2 jeans the other day. I couldn't tell you the last time I ever bought size 2 anything! The best thing is that I'm off of the blood pressure meds and even better I was able to do cartwheels and round offs in our front yard last week end! Not bad for a 40 year old mom!!

In my last post, I vented a bit about some of the negativity that I had received from some people. I'm not sure if that has gotten better or if I'm just handling it better. Come to find out, there was a rumor among some office peeps that I was sick and that's how I was losing weight....that just made me laugh. You have to know these people to understand. If they aren't criticizing someone, they just aren't breathing. I've just had to realize it's just not about me, it's about them. Once that clicked, I was able to let a lot of that go.

I am still aiming for 10 more pounds to hit my goal. I'd like to hit that goal in July but we'll see. I'm really focusing on toning up this summer and getting stronger. I will definitely be looking at different things that I can do to keep me motivated and moving forward. I've grown to love my walks and enjoy seeing my body become stronger. We'll see what I can try to continue to challenge myself.

Thank you for following me in this journey. It's been quite a year!
Old 06-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

You have achieved an incredible goal. Yay, you! What a great feeling to know how hard your worked and how well it paid off.

I sympathize with your getting up early in the a.m. to have some time to yourself. My husband gets up very early because that is when he is most productive. I am most productive later in the day and at night. We meet somewhere in the middle!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM
FitDay Member

Jacklin, that's amazing! Good for you! That took a lot of work and dedication. I'll look to you for inspiration to keep going and lose my +100lbs I have to lose. Yeah, don't listen to other people's negativity. Most people do that to try to feel better about themselves. Keep it up!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Jacklin- I have just now finished reading every single one of your posts and I wanted to tell you how much of an inspiration you are!!! It's really wonderful to read of your weight loss journey and all the changes you've made in your life for your health and well-being. I wish you continued success in your journey!!!

Losing 100lbs, getting off your medication,going down in dress sizes, and so many more milestones you've reached in the past year! Thank you for sharing your story.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm happy to hear that I can be some inspiration to others in this. I started this posting as a type of accountability effort for myself but if it can help motivate anyone else then that is amazing. When I was in the midst of everything, the weight loss often seemed slow and would at times stall especially here towards the end when I am nearing closer to my goal but I KNOW that if I just keep doing what I'm doing it will happen. Good luck to you guys I will post when I hit my goal! I'm shooting for July! Down to 134.4 this morning....
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jacklin-I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some of your fav healthy recipes and/or snack ideas when you get a chance? I cook for my family of 4 and am curious to get some new ideas.

Good luck getting to your final goal weight btw. I've had several ppl tell me it is unreasonable to weigh as much or less than I did when I was in my 20s and it's really nice to see how awesome you are doing with that. You've GOT THIS!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

Hi aimeet! Absolutely! I had actually been talking to my husband about putting together a notebook or collection of sorts of the recipes that I had found so I could share with my friends. I'll start posting some of my favorites. I have to warn you I am a bit of a crock pot queen. I work full time with a child and am in school so I cook in bulk and then freeze so you can adjust the portions if you need to. I'll post some things soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.