Notices

Gluconeogenesis and Atkins

Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Gluconeogenesis and Atkins

I am a LONG time Atkins follower, but found (like many others) that my
fasting blood sugars were most always over 100, sometimes as high as 120.
I could never figure that out until researching and reading I found out that there is something called Gluconeogenesis and when you consume a lot of lean meats and excess protein you body learns to tranform it to GLUCOSE!

I am reading up on "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living",
Dana Carpenters "Fat Fast" and Marks Daily Apple and realize that I totally need to cut back on protein and add more fat. I am perplexed tho, after living a low carb diet for so long how to even DO that!

Are there any others here doing this, I need HELP! I have done a "fat fast" for the past 5 days and dropped 6 3/4 pounds, but I want to transition now back to Atkins but with more fat. Thanks Everyone!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

I am a type 1 diabetic, and am wondering if I'm going to have to worry about high blood sugars from Atkins although it's low-to-no carb. I didn't know protein/fat could cause high blood sugar - just carbs. I've always been told to include protein with carbs to keep my blood sugar maintained because carbs alone burn off quicker and then I'd have low blood sugar. The protein kind of stretches out carbs activity. Will protein/fat alone cause high blood sugar?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
FitDay Member

The best thing to do if you're considering Atkins, is read the book before you start. They count "net" carbs not carbs. You take the total grams of carbs and subtract the grams of fiber. (because fiber does not raise blood sugar)So it really is never "no-carb". I eat more vegetables on Atkins than I ever have in my life, a reasonable amount of meat and don't worry very much about fat or calories. I never eat anything with added sugar.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by all_praise
I am a type 1 diabetic, and am wondering if I'm going to have to worry about high blood sugars from Atkins although it's low-to-no carb. I didn't know protein/fat could cause high blood sugar - just carbs. I've always been told to include protein with carbs to keep my blood sugar maintained because carbs alone burn off quicker and then I'd have low blood sugar. The protein kind of stretches out carbs activity. Will protein/fat alone cause high blood sugar?
Read up on this information in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living",
Dana Carpenters "Fat Fast" and Marks Daily Apple. It is extremely eye opening.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM
FitDay Member

Yes! I am a type 1 diabetic, and am wondering if I'm going to have to worry about high blood sugars from Atkins although it's low-to-no carb. I didn't know protein/fat could cause high blood sugar - just carbs.

Last edited by Brodon; 11-06-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Nutritional Ketosis

Originally Posted by Brodon
Yes! I am a type 1 diabetic, and am wondering if I'm going to have to worry about high blood sugars from Atkins although it's low-to-no carb. I didn't know protein/fat could cause high blood sugar - just carbs.
Brodon, I've been doing a ton of reading on the Low Carb Friends site- there is a whole section of "Nutritional Ketosis" - it is a very interesting subject and one that you may need to educate yourself with. Kathy
Old 07-27-2013, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by iamkathy01
I am a LONG time Atkins follower, but found (like many others) that my
fasting blood sugars were most always over 100, sometimes as high as 120.
I could never figure that out until researching and reading I found out that there is something called Gluconeogenesis and when you consume a lot of lean meats and excess protein you body learns to tranform it to GLUCOSE!

I am reading up on "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living",
Dana Carpenters "Fat Fast" and Marks Daily Apple and realize that I totally need to cut back on protein and add more fat. I am perplexed tho, after living a low carb diet for so long how to even DO that!

Are there any others here doing this, I need HELP! I have done a "fat fast" for the past 5 days and dropped 6 3/4 pounds, but I want to transition now back to Atkins but with more fat. Thanks Everyone!
I found I have to have fats for energy as well as protein....I do about 100 g. protein or more a day, but I have fats as well...I added a green drink (I juice myself ...may sound weird but I love celery, cucumber, spinach, 1/2 lemon, a granny smith apple and ginger) I find the enzymes in it are great for my mood and energy and I feel "clean"....the celery is a diuretic too so can't go wrong....I do avos, peanut butter, occasional butter, cheese, etc as well as a whey protein (proti diet is my favorite...they make a hot cocoa powder...its low carb and low sugar...I do it in a magic bullet with almond milk (30 cal per cup!) sometimes add some instant coffee for a mocha, SF syrup or splenda....yummy

In the low carb journey, I have found it necessary to modify and not go too strict with the fats, but no more fat content than protein, less if possible, and I add L Carnitine to my supplements 500mg 2-3 time day...L Carnitine not L Acetyl Carnitine....I know the journals all say it makes no difference but I have had good luck with it for working out, and dropping fat....

I also dropped diet sodas and go for teas, water, etc.

I have to enjoy what I eat so I'm not too overly strict, but fats are indeed a necessity for me.

Another protein I found is called Nectar...I love the Fuzzy Navel with soy milk for a base...I do eggs, fish, chicken, etc.

I'm going for a steady 2 lbs a week...if I do it slowly I'm less likely to go off the path and eat something non consciously that is packed with stuff that is not good for me, hence the enjoying what I eat.

I wish you luck and hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins. My blood sugar went from 300 to around 85 and remains there. I eat 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein and less than 5% carbs.