Notices

Total Gym

Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Question Total Gym

Hello everyone!

just wanted to know if anyone is using Total Gym and if you are, how do you rate it? i see the commercial on TV and at times, i could barely stop myself from ordering it. i have read the reviews on the internet, but i know i can get the most honest opinion through this fourm.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Unlike a lot of infomercial products out there I think the total gym actually works/does what it advertises and does it well, but to me its unnecessary because you can get the same exercise from walking, running, doing bodyweight exercises, dumbbells, etc. Unless you were doing long-term rehabbing from an injury or something I don't personally see a reason to buy one.

-Nik
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

thanks for the advice, Nik!
i'm kind of afraid to ask, but, how often do you exercise and how? to be honest, i'm an exercise equipment junkie i have got the pilate sets, the exercise ball, treadmill, gazelle and the boot camp series, to name a few. have done some exercising with each and eventually have abandoned it. the only one that i have used most often is the tony little's gazelle that my body has kind of adopted to it and it dosen't effect me any more.
boot camp series were really good too, got togo back to it again, i think
Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
FitDay Member

Up until about a month ago I was exercising about 3 times per week. I competed in an amateur powerlifting league and was taking a few weeks off then I came down with the flu. So I've been sort of sitting around getting pudgy over the last month. Tomorrow I get to start going to the gym again, finally

I don't really buy into all of the equipment that people try to sell because I've had great results from just lifting weights at the gym. I've always been sort of a skinny guy but two years ago after a college student's diet and not being very active it looked like a beach ball was growing under my shirt. That's about when I started weight lifting and even though now I've gotten a lot stronger and lost fat I'm still struggling to build muscle (I still look like a stick). This is also why I sometimes get irritated when women think they'll get bulky from lifting heavy weights — I'm a dude and it hasn't happened to me after two years so it's definitely not going to happen to you overnight.

I think someone else in another thread mentioned exrx.net, it's a great resource of a lot of different movements and all the muscles that are targeted and all you have to do is pick up a dumbbell, a barbell, a heavy box, your kids, etc. and you can get in a great workout without any fancy equipment.

-Nik
Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
I think someone else in another thread mentioned exrx.net, it's a great resource of a lot of different movements and all the muscles that are targeted and all you have to do is pick up a dumbbell, a barbell, a heavy box, your kids, etc. and you can get in a great workout without any fancy equipment.

-Nik
Thanks for reposting that site, I've been looking for something like that for a long time!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Nik,
i checked the website, it's great, now all i need is willpower
hopefully i get enough motivation and get started soon. i do need to build some lean muscles too. i do have layers of fat that people by mistake think of as muscles. for some time i was asked if i am an athlete but in fact i have never been so big on exercise, so some of the big arm and thighs are really not from exercise, but your DNA. and i guess i do have that in me too.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

I have a knock off of the total gym that is made by Weider. It is exceptional and between my wife and I it gets used every day with great results. The Weider is much cheaper for the same machine.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by farr1022
I have a knock off of the total gym that is made by Weider. It is exceptional and between my wife and I it gets used every day with great results. The Weider is much cheaper for the same machine.
good to know! how long and how often do you have to execise on it to notice the result? do you have to use a dvd along with it everytime? and the next question, does it help with the weight loss?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

The total gym (or knockoffs) provide you with the same results at the same rate as using weights. Instead of lifting iron, you are using your own body weight for resistance. When you put on muscle your metabolism increases and you should burn more fat if you eat the properly.

Where I find the total gym helps in fat loss is that it allows you to switch between exercises very quickly. When you do circuit training you can minimize the amount of time spent changing exercises and really keep your heart rate up.

I cycle in sets of "perfect pushups" between total gym circuits and the results have been fantastic. The Perfect Push is the devils creation as it is very painful but provides excellent results. When I first started doing them it felt like someone was driving a screwdriver through my chest.

Here is the link to Weider knockoff that I spoke of. I bought it on this site for this price.

Weider Total Body Works 5000 Bench - WEBE1441
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

i checked the site and OMG the price is amazing!!!!!! and the ship to Canada as well, so that is really nice too! how long have you had this machine
farr1022? i want to know how durable this is, and since i'm not familiar exercising using this equipments, does it come with a DVD or anything?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.