Notices

Need to lose 50 pounds, need help, plz.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Need to lose 50 pounds, need help, plz.

Hello, i'm 35 yrs old and a mom of two (3 & 5yr olds). I am obese and I need to lose 50 pounds to get in my normal healthy weight.

Need help with what to do? what kind of food? do I count calories? any ideas to help me get started? what kind of exercise?

I feel like I've tried everything and I really don't want to give up. Just need some guidance.

Thank you.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Julika05,

I would suggest that yes, count calories. There are a lot of nice tips and articles here on this site that can benefit you. I also think increasing your activity and being mindful of WHAT you are eating will make all the difference. I try to avoid processed food. I don't eat "Diet" food. "Diet" food tended to fool me into thinking that I could then indulge in other things. And most diet food is highly processed. I also found, personally, that severe calorie restriction wasn't the best for me. I can be a very grumpy person when I eat only 1200 calories a day!

I enjoy walking and it is a great exercise. Be consistent. Set a very doable goal. Even if it is walking for 10 minutes a day. Set some type of reachable goal that you know you can honor.

Be okay with the fact that some weeks you might not lose weight. Be okay with the fact that some months you may not lose weight! Just keep going. I have been on this path now for three years... still going, and I have 4 pounds to go to reach my goal!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Hi. I saw a show from England on YouTube called 'Secret Eaters.' They put cameras in the participants houses, people who believed they ate healthily, but couldn't figure out why they couldn't lose or were putting on weight. The participants knew about those cameras, but didn't know that the show followed them around with private detectives! They tracked everything the participants ate, much of which turned out to be a surprise to them because they forgot about it.

I think many of us are secret eaters in a way. For moms of small kids, they may mindlessly eat from their kids' plates or eat left overs as they clean up after meals. people who work may not realize all the little snack items they eat while working, etc.

I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice, I will just add that it is useful to write down what you eat, as with Fitday, and be mindful of what you are eating. I know that being accountable to that Fitday ledger has made me stop and think a few times this week before putting something in my mouth. : )

And, contrary to some eating plans, I think it is useful to count calories. I am basically vegetarian and when you go veg or vegan, many plans will say you don't have to count calories, but it is easy to get carried away with cheese or processed veg*n foods. The more natural, the better, but I'm beginning to think there's no escape from counting calories.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dahliastreet
...And, contrary to some eating plans, I think it is useful to count calories. I am basically vegetarian and when you go veg or vegan, many plans will say you don't have to count calories, but it is easy to get carried away with cheese or processed veg*n foods. The more natural, the better, but I'm beginning to think there's no escape from counting calories.
I agree. I was eating a healthful diet, just too much of it. I love cheese and would eat a lot of eat. And snack on a big handful (or two) of nuts.

Your "Secret Eaters" reminded me of the old joke about calories that don't count:

1. If you eat something and no one sees you eat it, it has no calories.

2. If you drink a diet soda with a candy bar, the calories in the candy bar are cancelled out by the diet soda.

3. When you eat with someone else, calories don't count if you don't eat more than they do.

4. Food used for medicinal purposes NEVER count, such as hot chocolate, brandy, toast and Sara Lee Cheesecake.

5. If you fatten up everyone else around you, then you look thinner.

6. Movie related foods (Milk Duds, Buttered Popcorn, Junior Mints, Red Hots, Tootsie Rolls, etc.) do not have additional calories because they are part of the entertainment package and not part of one's personal fuel.

7. Cookie pieces contain no fat-- the process of breaking causes fat leakage.

8. Things licked off knives and spoons have no calories if you are in the process of preparing something. Examples are peanut butter on a knife making a sandwich and ice cream on a spoon making a sundae....
Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dahliastreet
Hi. I saw a show from England on YouTube called 'Secret Eaters.' They put cameras in the participants houses, people who believed they ate healthily, but couldn't figure out why they couldn't lose or were putting on weight. The participants knew about those cameras, but didn't know that the show followed them around with private detectives! They tracked everything the participants ate, much of which turned out to be a surprise to them because they forgot about it....
I just saw an episode of this. Amazing what the people ate even at home, knowing cameras were there. I liked the show - there were a lot of good tips in there.

In the episode I watched, besides following the one couple, they did an experiment. They invited a bunch of people to a comedy show and served them unlimited chicken wings. For half the audience, plates were cleared away frequently and clean plates were provided. The other half didn't get any new plates. The group that got clean plates ate 70% more wings because there were no visual cues as to how much they had eaten. Some of the people in the bones on the plate group said that seeing how much they had eaten stopped them from eating more.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Use smaller plates Watch portion size. Most of us eat much more than we think . Eat at the table Not watching TV Be careful when eating out Portions are too big. Eat half / split it . / take rest home. Order salad dressings ' on the side '
That said We know what we need to do ..doing it is the hard part. Try to exercise at least 3-4 X a week I use treadmill for 12 minutes- weight machines for 10- rowing machine for 18-20 minutes . I feel better when I exercise . Good luck
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

It might not help anyone else, but I have a sign on my refrigerator that says:

Food is fuel, not therapy.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by egr683
It might not help anyone else, but I have a sign on my refrigerator that says:

Food is fuel, not therapy.
Thanks for sharing this Reminder. I'll be doing the same thing. I can empathize with the difficulty in losing weight especially after giving birth to 2 lovely kids. My body had a hard time burning the excess fat I incurred.

I'm a very active active mom and I noticed that no matter how much household chores I have on a daily basis, it seemed that I can no longer get rid of my unwanted fats. I'm already desperate and I've already considered what my cousin has been using. She's using prescopodene to increase her metabolism. She said this diet supplement has natural ingredients which is safe to use. She already lost 4.5 kilos on her first month. That's good enough for me. I'll be happy if I can lose 3 kilos in a month's time.

Hopefully, there'll be other moms who can share their best practices when it comes to losing weight.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default It really depends!

Not everything works for everyone. I mean, science says "if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight." That's great and all but does that work for your lifestyle? It's important to find what works for you since, well, you're not me or any other person who will comment on here.

What is working for me now: low carb diet and at least 30 minutes of exercise per day. It works for me because I get almost an unlimited supply of beef (my parents run a farm) and I like meat. I used to LOVE bread but it's an addiction that a lot of people get over very quickly (took me about 5 days or so?).

Although you may choose a different way of eating than I did, I think everyone would agree that exercise is very important. Use the kids! Is one of them 20-30lbs? Bench press right there go kick around a ball, have races, walk to the store if it's not crazy far away. I started walking to the store when I needed an ingredient for dinner (it's like a block away). Find something that works for YOU because if it doesn't, then you won't stick to it.

Mucho luck-o!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default hy

i know is very difficult to loose wheight when u are mom but i want to ask u something,u gain the weight after the pregnancy period or u just like eating(the same like me)?i have also problems with weight since child and i still try to find the way to my ideal weight,but what i can tell u is that if we make small changes in our present time,with time it will bring major changes in our body.for example.if u like drinking soda,in stead of 2-3 glases in a day u can choose just 1,if u like cooking u can eat also,but just to 'taste' from what u cook,if u like stake,dont cook it in pan,cook it on grill,if u like fast food also when u go with ur children to this kind of places try to look in menu and choose something with less sauce,or even the friets if u eat them,eat them without maionaise or ketchup,if u like the bread also(like me) choose the black one,or eat eaven the white one but less.take it slow and sure,not fast and then to fail,u know of course that yo-yo effect.and every month,or week(u choose) make a goal in ur mind to use less soda,or less breat and keep that level of aliment all the time in ur mind till u reach ur ideal weight.is working for sure,i tell u cos i try it on me and give resaults.i loose 30 pounds in half year.goodluck