7 day motivational thread 3/4/13

Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

• Workout > 120 min/wk: 20
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 68
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: Y
  • Calories < 1500 (M-Th): 1254
  • Calories < 1800 (F, S, S):
Mern: No, I didn't get that last workout in. Missed the total by 10 minutes.
That's why I changed the goal this week to total minutes per week, instead of minutes per day on 3 days. I think 20 mins should be a minimum to make it count, though.
Good luck on your blood work! I'm really curious how it will turn out. I should probably get some done too, just to see where I'm at. I think I'll do one more week of having low cholesterol as a goal, and then take the test.

Boo: An hour a day of workout! Quite ambitious if you ask me! You say 'Not many for now,' but your daily goals are more than most, and Weekly # 1 is a biggie. Go Boo!

Mike: Thanks for the follow-through. This is a 'motivation' thread after all, so I don't abide no delusional sigs!

- Donna
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Mern - How do you keep your carbs so low? Mine was 200grams yesterday, and 100 of that was sugar (mostly from fruit).

Originally Posted by dmartz
Boo: An hour a day of workout! Quite ambitious if you ask me! You say 'Not many for now,' but your daily goals are more than most, and Weekly # 1 is a biggie. Go Boo!
You think my exercise goal is a bit too ambitious?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo

You think my exercise goal is a bit too ambitious?
NO, definitely not TOO ambitious! But ambitious, yes. I've done a regimen like that before. Weights M-W-F, swim T-Th., S-S: 'House'work. The results didn't stick that time.

For me, this time it's different. I'm sure it will be different for you.

- Donna
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default Morning walk

Well I did my am walk but I was a little slow getting started (got up late) and visited my neighbour before coming home. So the goal was met but not exactly how I envisioned. I walked the trek to the store today and it was the first time I tried it that no dogs ran out at me. The trip is 4.32km and it took me exactly one hour. I am definitely speeding up. Still wearing heavy winter boots, it was snowing and slushy again today.

Weightlossboo, I think your exercise is very ambitious. If you like it, if you have time, and you can maintain it good for you. Normally I am very active and the food is my problem. I've recently been inactive due to illness. I think it's great to be interested in a variety of physical activities not just for weight loss purposes.

Mern I am in Atlantic Standard Time Zone, 1 hour ahead of you.

Darlene......when you get up, go for a walk lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nobe
Stupid bread man at work with his treats foiled my good intentions yet again! After two big hunks of cake:
Just call him the death dealer..........like a crack dealer or something. Seriously that stuff is addictive!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

Got yesterday's blood test results back already--takes only one day for them to show up in my online health management account with my doctor's network. Yesterday's tests confirmed that I have now kept my blood glucose reversed from pre-diabetes to normal without medication since August 2011. My cholesterol has now been normal since August 2012 without medication. Triglycerides have come down a lot from my record high of 286mg per deciliter of blood to 272 August of 2012, to my new record low of 227 yesterday--again without meds. Still a long way to go to normal of 150, but yahoo on my improvement.

Donna, kudos on your exercise anyway, even though you didn't get in the last workout. I like the idea of your weekly goal. My unwritten goal is 30 minutes per day, but for the record I go by exercising 5 days.

Boo, when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a while back but wanted to manage my blood sugar without medication, my doctor helped me learn to eat 25 grams net carbs per day, but that's after deducting grams of fiber which are carbs that don't impact blood sugar. I am not perfect all the time--I have been known to indulge in many carb fests, but for the most part:
--My grain is flaxmeal and textured soy veggie powder, and Dreamfields pasta which is touted to have "low digestible carbs." My "bread" is 5g net carb high fiber tortillas or flaxmeal muffins.
--I don't eat potatoes or starchy veggies such as corn or beans except for black soybeans which are only 1g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving.
--I eat a large variety of low carb veggies--mostly green leafy ones, plus cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, bean sprouts.
--My fruit is pretty much limited to any kind of berries (except grapes) and any kind of melon (except watermelon). Occasionally I will indulge in half a peach. Grapes, oranges, bananas and apples are way too high in carbs for me, so I stick to melon and berries.
-- I don't drink milk but get more than enough calcium from yogurt, cheeses, sour cream and sometimes cream in my coffee
--I strive to eat low carb, sugar free treats

Robin, you exercise goddess! Kudos on your walk again today. You set such a good example for the rest of us! Oh, we're not that far off on the time, then. You just get moving way before the rest of us drag our sorry butts out of bed. LOL

Last edited by Mern; 03-05-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Robingen
Just call him the death dealer..........like a crack dealer or something. Seriously that stuff is addictive!
LOL. Love it! Nice walk this morning.

Mern - great news on your blood numbers. I was eating a diet pretty much like yours (South Beach Diet) when my diabetic mother came to live with us after she had a stroke. I fed her what I was eating. A couple of months later at the check-up with her doctor, her AC1 test was in the normal range for the first time ever since diagnosed with diabetes. Mern, it's wonderful that your doctor worked with you like that. I don't think my mother was ever given guidance like that.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, good results Mern!!

I got 15 mins exercise in yesterday--did the boxing exercise to help tone arms. I was over a little on carbs but didn't do too bad overall.

Went for coffee this morning and I was "a good girl" and only had coffee--no muffin or donut! YAY ME!! I have learned a lot this past year that I tend to eat out of habit or if I'm bored. I can always have a snack later but I don't HAVE to have a muffin. Now that I am losing weight a little more steadily I would like to keep the momentum.

Jenn
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Carolyn, glad you had a nice walk this morning. Thanks for your congrats on my blood test. Way to go getting your Mom's A1C down with the help of South Beach! You should be really proud of that! It surely is a well-balanced program with delicious food. I dropped two other doctors who just wanted to put me on medication. I finally decided each of them was either not educated enough or didn't care enough to take the time to help me. My current doctor, who is a general family practitioner, sat down and went over my FitDay food logs with me to see what I was eating and we formulated my nutrition goals together. And she didn't charge me or my insurance company an extra nickel. She said she doesn't mind at all helping people who are willing to do the work to avoid completely or reduce their dosages of medication.

Jenn, thanks for your cheer, too. Great job on your exercise yesterday. Major kudos on going for coffee and not getting a muffin or other goodies! You deserve a gold medal for that! Looks like you know what to do and how to do it to keep your weight loss momentum going.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm here in the cornfield, feeling we can win

1) 8 glasses of water- 6?
2) walk or move, stop being a slug- walked
3) plan meals - yes
4) do not say what plan? ate more than planned
5) stretch - yes
6) meditate - yes
7) do not give up (writing, diet, health, etc.) ok with diet, the rest meh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.