Notices

Losing weight too fast after giving birth

Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Losing weight too fast after giving birth

Hi all,
I'm a little concerned with the weight that I'm losing after having my baby. I gained 48 pounds with the pregnancy and I was about 30 pounds overweight before getting pregnant. I had her on February 6th so its only been 3 and a half weeks but I've already lost 27 pounds. I'm loosely following Weight Watchers to help keep from gaining more weight like I did with my first daughter but I'm adding extra calories every day since I'm breastfeeding. Also, I cut out soda completely. I'm not doing any significant exercise other than housework and running after a preschooler. It just makes me nervous how quickly I'm losing the weight. I was expecting to have to dig in a make a concerted effort like I did after the first one. I want to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way and I'm worried that this fast weight loss will have adverse effects on my health. Has anyone else had any experience with this?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I gained about the same amount as you with my pregnancy and was also 30 pounds overweight before I got pregnant! I lost most of the pregnancy weight without trying at all in the first 2-3 months of breastfeeding, but the other 30 pounds I had to finally dig in a year after my son's birth to get rid of. I would say what you have lost is pretty normal, based on my experience anyway!

Good luck with your journey! And congratulations on your daughter!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why is that a problem?

I was about 20 lbs overweight and gained 25 lbs with my first child. I lost 29 lbs between giving birth and leaving the hospital. My doctor didn't think there was anything wrong with it. In fact, over the next few months (while breast-feeding my son) I lost down to 25 lbs below my pre-pregnant weight. My doctor was very happy with the weight loss.

One of the things about breast-feeding is that it allows you to eat a little more (healthy foods), but still lose weight. Our bodies are designed that way.

Of course, with my second baby, everything changed.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

My mom got skinny too after giving birth to our youngest sibling. She keep it by eating the right diet.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I lost about 30 pounds in three weeks after my first was born most of it was water weight but after that I just as quickly gained it all back.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Science ;)

So breast feeding requires a TON of calories, so if you are doing things the same but breast feeding, you're probably just fine. But still, I'm no doctor

Do you watch Desperate Housewives? There is an episode where Lynette goes back to work and a REALLY fit mom is breast feeding a 5 year old (I think?) and she thought it was gross. She tricked the kid into drinking cow milk and the mom got pissed cause she gained weight. Kinda funny