no matter what i do, i can't seem to get rid of carbs....bad carbs

Community
Notices

no matter what i do, i can't seem to get rid of carbs....bad carbs

Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down no matter what i do, i can't seem to get rid of carbs....bad carbs

guys,

i'm struggling with my diet. carbs (bread-y carbs) seem to be the only thing that can really fill me up. I am on a low cal diet, so it's really hard for me to stay full. by eating bread, pita, etc. i feel fuller than otherwise. i feel myself craving carbs. can anyone try to give me some advice on what the best bread carbs are? or replacement for carbs that will keep me satisfied....
seriously, meat and bread are about all that fill me up!!! i don't think i am going about this right....remember i am low calorie so i guess what i need is to eat MORE food at fewer cals so i feel full and dont need to live off of carbs!!

thanks!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

When you say low calorie, how low are you talking about? Obviously, if your calories are too low, you are not going to feel satisfied no matter what the calories come from. Also, having calories too low can lead to cravings, and can also, in some people, cause your metabolism to slow down to the extent that, paradoxically, it is even harder to lose because you don't burn as many calories.

Studies have shown, actually, that carbs are the least satiating of all the macros. Healthy fats and protein keep you feeling fuller longer. That being said, I am an advocate of healthy carbs and do better when I have them in my diet as well as protein and fats; low carb works like a charm for some people but I'm not one of them.

That being said, for your carbs, choose whole grain foods and ditch the white stuff. Whole wheat bread is better than white, brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes, etc. Anything whole and natural (fruits and veggies) is better than anything processed...the natural nutrients haven't been stripped away.

One thing I know is true...the more bad carbs you eat, the more you will crave them.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Carbs are not the least satiating when they contain fiber. So, look to really boost the fiber in your diet. I imagine that if you try to boost fiber, keep carbs down, up protein and manage fat (which is 9 calories per gram, as opposed to 4 calories per gram for both protein AND carbs), you have your work cut out for you! Drink a lot of water, too - that helps, no matter what diet you are on.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
Carbs are not the least satiating when they contain fiber. So, look to really boost the fiber in your diet. I imagine that if you try to boost fiber, keep carbs down, up protein and manage fat (which is 9 calories per gram, as opposed to 4 calories per gram for both protein AND carbs), you have your work cut out for you! Drink a lot of water, too - that helps, no matter what diet you are on.
thanks Kathy, today I will start up-ing the fiber and protein!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default food planer

I think carbs are addictive like everything can be. When I am not working out and in a funk I want all the bad stuff. I can smell a bakery a mile away. But I love the food planer here. Go there and make a meal with everything you like to eat and look at what is there. That should help you see where you are going wrong and the direction you need to go. Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by mtr12345
guys,

i'm struggling with my diet. carbs (bread-y carbs) seem to be the only thing that can really fill me up. I am on a low cal diet, so it's really hard for me to stay full. by eating bread, pita, etc. i feel fuller than otherwise. i feel myself craving carbs. can anyone try to give me some advice on what the best bread carbs are? or replacement for carbs that will keep me satisfied....
seriously, meat and bread are about all that fill me up!!! i don't think i am going about this right....remember i am low calorie so i guess what i need is to eat MORE food at fewer cals so i feel full and dont need to live off of carbs!!

thanks!
see if want replacement then i will suggest you Egg Whites , its a best low calories -high protein food !!
1 Egg white contain 30-40 cals , so eat till you want fuller and satisfied !
its a best replacement for breakfast or meal !