Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread for 1/28/13

Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

GOALS
the usual

1. Drink 6 glasses of water Mon and Wed only 5 Tues already up to 6!!
2. Keep within carb/protein limit Mon 140/65 (a little over), Tues 130/30 Thinking of mixing some leftover yogurt with some fruit for snack so I'll still be in range. Wed way over on carbs
3. Exercise 5X 30min Mon 30, Tues 35 plus up and down stairs doing laundry Wed 15 plus cleaned out spare room.
4. 4 fruits/veggies Mon 2.5, Wed 3Tues 4
5. Log yes, yes no
6. Don't focus on number on scale hmm trying, yes, no

Went for bloodwork this morning since I have to go 2 weeks before my Dr visit. Fingers crossed that it will be good. At least they had no trouble getting it today (deep veins) and I didn't get the "pissy" woman--also a plus!!
Jenn
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Krystal! Wishing you much happiness in your new home in Denver and lots of fun time with your friend. So glad your ankle is sprained rather than broken! Wishing you freedom from pain and a speedy total recovery. Birthday cake is worth scale fluctuations. LOL

Jenn, best wishes on your bloodwork results. I'm really lucky. I go to my doctor's office for bloodwork and get my results the very next day. The blood goes from the doc's office by courier just 6 miles to the hospital lab and gets tested almost immediately upon arrival. The results go electronically from the lab to the doctors office and are posted the next day by the doctor's office into my online health management account along with one or two sentences of comments from my doc about the results. But I have a more in-depth in-person consultation about the results and a routine checkup a week after the bloodwork. UGH on the venipuncture. I, too, have deep veins and even when I'm well hydrated they have a hard time getting anything out of my arm. 90% of the time they wind up having to take it from the nice plump veins on top of my hand, but that doesn't bother me at all. Aw, glad you didn't get the pissy woman. The two at my doc's office are both really nice.

Joanna, did you feel better and was your blood sugar better after possibly overtreating lows? If so, I would add that, in my opinion, the blood sugar rightfully takes priority over sticking to your calorie goals when it's too low. It's all about better health, so you did what you decided you needed and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Question to which I don't know the answer: does water intake affect your home blood sugar test? Kudos on your exercise this week! Way to go! And congrats on finishing Astro 534 and Phys 479.

Hope, I'm gonna have to break into the Babelfish online translator to snoop at what you and Mike are conversing about. LOL Nah, just kidding. I figure it might be just between the two of you. What's the latest on your knee?

Last edited by Mern; 01-31-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Krystal - so much congratulations on your new job! Colorado looks to be a beautiful place, and I hope you settle in quickly.

Mern - The problem with over treating the lows is that my blood sugar then skyrockets, which makes sense, since I ate way more carbs than I needed for the lows. The problem was kind of that it went low, and I could sort of explain why that one happened, but then I randomly went low again later in the evening, and I was worried about going to bed and then dropping low again, since I have no reason why it did it a second time. In any case, I went to bed way high because of it. Now, I'm treating my second low for the day, and I almost never get them mid afternoon So annoying. I mean, I'm working out more, but I've been changing my insulin levels as I go along, so I'm not sure why they would all of a sudden be out of whack. Drinking water DOES decrease blood sugar - which makes sense, because if you've got more fluid in your blood stream, the sugar concentration will go down. But I haven't been drinking excessively more water than normal. Anyway, it's not like I haven't had weird things like this happen before. I'll just have to ride it out, keep adjusting, and try to stick with calorie limits as much as I can.

Nice weigh-in, Mern, by the way - I see you peeking at it, down in there in your signature!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

DS and I went to the grocery this AM and I had time to do alot of label reading. I found whipped butter (only 2 ingredients). As long as we use it in moderation I think it is a good real food altenative (to the butter substitutes). I can't really think of anything we bought that had more than 5 ingredients! Except maybe the BBQ wing sauce, and yogurt (do bacteria count?). Need wing sauce for the super-bowl Sunday lasagne I plan to make this weekend . Free day Sunday!

Daily vitamin: Y, Y, Y
Nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the label: N, but if I change this to 75% then Y, N, Y
Drink lots of H2O: Y, Y, Y
Be mindful of portion sizes: Y, Y, Y
Exercise 3x this week: Not yet. Not yet. Good walk with DS and the dog!

Skimmed the posts - so a few responses until I get caught up...

Mern - The red sauce has onion, garlic, dried basil, olive oil (just enough to cook the onion and garlic), crushed tomatoes (15oz can), 1/3 can water, about 1/2 lb ground pork (pre-browned and all fat drained), salt and pepper. The "real" recipe calls for adding home-made meatballs, tossing in Italian sausage and spare-ribs, but I cut out all meat except a little ground pork for flavor. This is the recipe that takes almost 2 hours to make because it must simmer on the stove until the sauce turns darker in color (from bright red to deep red). The flavor really changes with the long cooking time.

Hope - 130!!! YAY! I bet you make that 125 goal by your birthday with no problem!

Krystal - So glad the ankle is just a sprain!

Last edited by amalthea1892; 01-31-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Joanna, thanks for explaining about your blood sugar highs and lows, and that water intake does affect the blood sugar. Reading your story made me so grateful that I was diagnosed with PRE-diabetes and that I can keep my blood sugar normal through diet and exercise--at least for now, anyway. My best wishes on your blood sugar and insulin dosage management.

Ama, that's great that you found the whipped butter. I totally agree with you that (as long as you don't have a health issue that forbids your using it) virtually any food moderation is fine. What a productive shopping trip! Yogurt is even touted by many doctors as healthful as long as it's not loaded with sugar, so I'd be surprised if you have to count the yogurt bacteria as an ingredient. Ooh, enjoy your free day Sunday. If you are OK with changing your "nothing out of a box, can....that has more than five ingredients..." my unsolicited vote is to go for it. I always keep in mind what my doctor said, "You don't have to be perfect, just better than you used to be."
Way to go on the walk. Ooh, thanks for the sauce recipe! I'm going to copy that to my hard drive. I'll bet it makes your house smell wonderful!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
FitDay Member

Not a good day food wise since we need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. Very low on veggies today! I didn't get the water in either--hard when it's so cold outside!
I did finish a 30 min workout (I got 95%). My legs are really feeling it!

Mike and Tori I hope you both are plugging along this week!!

Jenn
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jenn. I'm plugging away. Trying to figure out how I'm going to squeeze in 1 more workout and 10 more miles.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Health/Fitness

1--Under 1800 calories--Higher than I was previously doing, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just going to take longer to get these last 20-30 pounds off. I've just got to step up my exercise. Speaking of which.....~~M: 1715 T: 1513 W: free day Th: 1956
2--EXERCISE!!!--I haven't been doing this in months. No wonder I've stalled, then started to slowly gain a little back. I've tried the treadmill....I just can't force myself to walk on it. It's so freaking boring....and yes, I've tried watching tv, listening to an audio book, it's BORING!!!! I'm gonna have to break out some of my old DVDs and warm them back up. I'm shooting for 3 nights this week.~~M: no T: nope W: nah Th: blahhhh
3--Water--my nemesis.......M: eeehhh T: lil better today W: not bad Th: YAY!!!!

Home/Life

1--See The Jassi Cat no fewer than 4 times this week--Going between the two different households is starting to wear on me, but I can't take it out on her by not going by.~~M: yep T: yeah W: no Th: no, going tomorrow
DONE!!!2--Organize the cabinets--My OCD is really starting to rear it's ugly head, and the cabinets are driving me batty!!!~~M: nah T: DONE!
3--Start working on the pillowcases--I've had an embroidery pattern for weeks, haven't done anything with it.~~.....probably this weekend

Last edited by ToriD1012; 01-31-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: late night snack threw my calories over :(
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Plan for tomorrow:
Ezkiel English muffin or Vitamuffin because I have PT at 7am
almond milk protein shake
leftover fish and sting beans
roast chicken and squash
snacks including poker:
bologna
limited chips (1.5 servings)
1 beer or 4 oz port wine, if that
1/2 agave sweetened chocolate nibs pie
goat cheese
fruit

how I did:
ham and egg whites - yes
chef salad -yes, huge
shrimp and veg - salmon and string beans
snacks:
dried kale - yes
cashews -yes
cheese stick -no
clementines - 2
2 oz wine
turkey bologna roll ups -yes
roast chicken with skin
sf biscotti or healthy lemon tart (1/2) -1/2 tart

I was depressed over insurance company hassle. Decided not to MRI my knee just yet. Dr. SSP thinks it might be strained ligaments which would require PT anyway so I am going for PT (at 7am yippee!!!)
I went to hell wtih myself (I thought) with the calories but I logged and it was only 1200 and change. So if I close the kitchen for tonight, I'll be OK. Mern, I love sharing food ideas with you and this planning has really been helping me. Unbelievably.
Babelfish sound interesting. I guess it is an online translation thing. Mike and I are discussing our plan to overthrow the gov't. KIDDDING!!!! With my limited vocab, we are just wishing each other well on our goals.

Ama, thanks, I am hoping to break 130 soon. Or as Mern says get into a new decade lol. It will be mind blowing for me.

Mike I had a dream we met in a supermarket near me. You were with a short guy with a lot of tattoos. You know anyone like this?

Last edited by canary52; 01-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

1.) Drink 64 oz water/day: M - Y, T - Y, W - N, Th - Y
2.) Some form of workout 6 days: M - Y, T - Y, W - Y, Th - Y
3.) Under 1400 calories/day: M - N, T - Y, W - N, Th - N
4.) Finish ASTRO 534 HW by Wed PM: Done
5.) Finish PHYS 479 HW by Fri: Done

A little high on calories again today, mostly due to low blood sugars but also just general munchiness - probably related issues. Otherwise, today was fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.