Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

Red face New member

I am new to this site. I started Thanksgiving night.....T make a long story short, I moved to Florda from CT in Feb to be with my son and his family after losing my job in Jan. In July they moved back to CT which has leftr me totally alone without family. I had gotten a job and signed a lease for an apartment when they told me they were moving back. With the holidays, depression is a big part of daily life. I made a beautiful dinner for my roommate and I on Thanksgiving. After starting to carve the turkey, found it wasn't completely done(I am normally an awesome cook), which upset me so much, I walked a mile. Hence the start of the big motivational change. I now am up to 2 miles a day every morning about 7:15am and have cut my calories down to under 1000. I have taken off 25lbs since then, but seems I am at a stand still with the weight loss. The weight loss is very noticeable, but am gettng frustrated the number is not going down....any suggestion?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Are you logging your food accurately? One thing that I learned from WW (I guess I knew this but never thought about it) is that, as your weight goes down, your calorie intake must also go down. Recalculate your caloric needs for the weight you are now, and then subtract a few hundred (300-500 calories) from that daily intake number to arrive at a new daily caloric intake number.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

If your calorie in take is correct you are low enough. Sounds like you are at a Plateau and your body need time to adjust. If any thing I would add 100 or 200 calories. Maybe even alternate 1000 one day 1200 then next back and forth to see if you can break your plateau. Are you drinking enough water? (very important too) Hang in there you can do it.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I know for me, cutting my calories that low sends me right into a plateau that takes forever to break. Some agree and some disagree with the hypothesis that if your calories are too low, your metabolism slows to conserve the body's resources. The "starvation hypothesis" holds that your body goes into a panic if your caloric intake is too low and refuses to burn fat. Like I said, some believe it, some don't. However, it happens to me every time I think I'll speed things up and drop my calories too low. If I stay at 1200 or above I end up losing a lot more steadily overall. You might also try calorie cycling or zigzag calories...as previous poster suggested, but with a bigger range. I did this for a period of time and it worked quite well. Some days were as low as 900 but then some were as high as 1600-1700; however, the average was about 1200. If you Google zig zag calories, there is a place you can enter your info and it comes up with a weekly plan.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Wait, what? You've taken off 25 lbs since Thanksgiving? Did I read that right?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome in the forum and enjoy your stay here.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you!!!!

I will definitely try all your suggestions. maybe i am too low on calories. i will fluctuate the calories. and yes 25lbs since Thanksgiving. i haven't lost my motivation at all, still going strong....but wouldn't hurt to get more.....thank you again for all your suggestions and kindness. i wish you all success with whatever goal you wish to reach!!!!!