Candy and sweets taking over! >

Candy and sweets taking over!

Community
Notices

Candy and sweets taking over!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Default Candy and sweets taking over!

I am new to this and thought I'd give it a try...maybe some support will help me lose the lbs I want. My complete goal is 50 lbs but I want to lose close to 40 before July because we are going to mexico! I had a baby in November but I started my weight lose goal in January. I had since lost 18 lbs but at a stand still...mostly because I can't stop eating candy/sweets. I mean the easy thing to do would be just to not buy them but I have a 7 year old in the house who is addicted to sweets as well...but he only gets them once a day after dinner(desert)....

any suggestions it's like when I eat one I want two....etc.
I need to lose this weight I'm motivated to do so...I've also been working out about 20 min a day...hoping that works too!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Sorry Tiffany,
Really, the only thing to do is to not bring sweets into the house. As you found out, once you have 1 it is really hard to stop.

A once-a-day sweet treat for you son is OK, but you could substitute something else for him too. It will help him in the long run. If there is no way to change your son's habits (7 year olds can be terrors when they don't get what they want- as I'm sure you know) One idea is to try the pre-pack fat free puddings or pre-packed jello. Yogurts (not all kids like then, though) would provide some nutrition while satisfying the sweet tooth. Or take him out for a treat instead of keeping a supply in the house.

I know folks like to recommend substituting fruit - and it is a great idea for those that like fruit in the evening. It's a breakfast thing for me, so that hasn't really worked.

BTW, 40 pounds in 3 months is a huge goal! You might what to aim for 1 to 2 lbs per week, which is the max recommended for women. I would hate for you to set yourself up for a disappointment, and find yourself tempted to give up all together.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

it's hard to break the habit of buying sweets but I think it's best. i was so tempted by sweedish fish today that i put them in my grocery cart and then as i was checking out i told the cashier i no longer wanted them. i knew i'd regret it!

are there any sweets that you DONT like? buy those. have your son eat what your not tempted by for instance, i don't care for malt balls so i stock up on that to give away as halloween candy.

but really, just try not to buy them. give your son a fruit smoothie or a yogurt or something if he'd go for it. ???

good luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Pam and Julia. It's better to not have the sweets there, or at least to make a good substitution. I have a 13 year old boy and do not expect him to eat as stringently as I do, but I do want him to be healthier, too. I usually have fat free frozen yogurt here; granola bars are a treat for him and sweet (I'm slowly moving him toward the Kashi kind instead of the Quaker), raisins, flavored rice cakes, or a bowl of cereal. He also puts the Yoplait Whips yogurts in the freezer or eats them from the fridge. Finally, I have a couple low fat dessert recipes that I pull out and make every once in a while. Granted, none of these are health foods, but it's better than candy, cake, cookies, and donuts when the sweet tooth strikes.

Since the beginning of the year we have really changed our way of eating. It's hard to make a change but I have watched him become more conscious of his choices and now he takes it in stride. Make small changes over time and eventually they will become habits. Could you take your son to the store and have him help pick out new things to try that would be better alternatives?

Congrats on the 18 pounds so far ! I agree that a vacation to Mexico is a pretty good motivator.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tiffanydawno86
I am new to this and thought I'd give it a try...maybe some support will help me lose the lbs I want. My complete goal is 50 lbs but I want to lose close to 40 before July because we are going to mexico! I had a baby in November but I started my weight lose goal in January. I had since lost 18 lbs but at a stand still...mostly because I can't stop eating candy/sweets. I mean the easy thing to do would be just to not buy them but I have a 7 year old in the house who is addicted to sweets as well...but he only gets them once a day after dinner(desert)....

any suggestions it's like when I eat one I want two....etc.
I need to lose this weight I'm motivated to do so...I've also been working out about 20 min a day...hoping that works too!

Hey Tiffany,

I am a HUGE chocolate. Love it. In fact, my dream vacation was (ok, still is, haha) spending a month at Charlie's Chocolate Factory. Holy yum. It was my biggest weakness! My family LOVED sweets. Little Debbie Snacks, candy, ice cream, etc. I tried a couple times cutting back, but if it was in the house, I ate it. I decided it was time for a healthy change for me, for ALL of us. I stocked up on fat-free pudding, yogurt, tons of fruits, and stuff like that. I have 8 year old twins and a 16 year old who hated it at first, but now they love it. When we go to a store, they ask for fruit or cheese for a snack instead of the candy bars. Or they ask for gum. Which works for me.

It's not easy, in fact it sucks at first. But it gets easier. I allow myself chocolate once in a while. Not a whole lot, but enough to satisfy my craving.

Good luck with your goal! Mexico is definately a great motivation.