Notices

Thoughts on diet?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thoughts on diet?

Hi, new to this.

I'm 20 & male, decided to start a diet 8 days ago as I'm not comfortable with my weight.

I've gone from eating:

Nothing for breakfast
Lunch consisting of sandwich/baguette, crisps, chocolate, full fat coke.
Mid-afternoon biscuits/chocolate
Big dinner, not specific.
Desert e.g. chocolate.
Night time feast at like 11pm consisting of sandwich, cheese, chocolate, whole pack of biscuits some nights, fizzy drink, general bad stuff.

To:

Piece of fruit OR nature valley bar for breakfast
2 apples for lunch - thinking of replacing this for a salad
Main meal at night not really caring about what i have
Several glasses of water through the day

And thats it, i've been on it for a week not really seen a difference but just wanted opinions on this. I'm also going to start powerwalking for an hour three times a week at the gym on a high incline.

I'm currently 218lbs and want to get down to 175lbs. This is the furthest i've ever got with a diet and i'm hoping its the one!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi there, welcome to FitDay.

The thing that hit me right away (though I don't know what you eat for dinner) is that there is very little or perhaps no protein or fat in your day. Both of these are important in keeping you satisfied and full, in addition to providing necessary nutrients. Are you a vegetarian? FitDay calculates your fat, protein, and carb ratios for you.

You might also want to add some weight training. Building muscle (active tissue, as opposed to fat...inert tissue) helps you burn more calories.

Hope to see you around the forums!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:42 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not a vegetarian and most main meals contain at least one meat, vegetables/salad, and some carbs.
Also I am intending to do some weight training on top of the cardio, I generally have quite a big build anyway so the weights will hopefully make me look quite big, but not fat.

Thanks for the input by the way.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

I'm no expert but here's some thoughts:

Have a solid breakfast, if you can. The fruit is a good start; the Nature Valley bar is Ok but a lot of sugar. Some people are not breakfast people but breakfast is important in weight loss and setting the pace for the day. Maybe add a bit of cheese or whole grain toast to your fruit if you're not up for oatmeal or eggs.

Lunch: a salad with some protein, a sandwich on whole grain bread, non cream based soups, etc. Mix it up so you don't get bored though some people can eat the same thing every day and be perfectly fine with it.

Main meal at night: protein of choice and veg. Whole grains like wild rice, quinoa, squash, a sweet ptoato, etc if desired.

Allow yourself some treats. Dark chocolate is good, if you like it. I find small snacks essential: a handful of nuts, a low fat cheese stick, carrots and hummus, fruit, but that's me. I need to eat every couple of hours and it actually controls my appetite and energy.

The rule for weight lifting from what I know is carbs before; protein after.

A little balance goes a long way IMHO.

Good luck. You're thinking about it and that's the first important step.

Last edited by canary52; 11-16-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Hope and Cassie. I do eggs in the morning, Protein (usually left overs from the night before, Pork, Beef, Chicken or Fish) a fruit (usually banana, apple or orange) and or vegetable (carrot sticks, sliced cucumber). Protein as the center of my evening meal with vegetables and salad.

Like Cassie I believe that healthy fats are essential not only because your body needs them (for things like nuerological functions) but to keep your appetite in check. I use Hope's suggestion of nuts for snacks.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

I found that eating paleo has helped me lose weight. But more importantly eating clean food. No artificial additives, hormones, antibiotics, preservatives, chemicals. You would be surprised how much toxic junk is added to our U.S food supply. Much of which is illegal in other countries. When I learned to look for this stuff and stop buying it I lost weight and haven't yet had my usual "fall cold". I used to get monthly colds in the winter time about 2 years ago. It was horrible. I don't think it's that much of a price difference to buy organic over conventional, and there is almost always a sale going on. If it is okay I posted a link to the eBook I wrote. It is free to download right now. I hope it helps. FitDay Free Calorie Counter and Diet Journal:FitDay Forum Rules

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 11-20-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Link removed
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default Diet foods

hello...

This is some food that helps you to maintain you body to become slim but healthy.

Breakfast: Nonfat Caffe Latte/ Gingerbread Syrup / Fish oil Omega 3/ Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake,/ Banana/ Bacon/ Tea/.

Lunch: Beef Barley Soup/ Apples / Pear/ Carrots,/ Cucumber/.

Dinner: Campbells tomamto soup/ Cheddar cheese/ Milk/ Rice/ Beer Batter Fish/

Snacks: Del Monte Fruit Cocktail/ Green tea w/ honey.

any food you can eat for that..

thank you...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nethski
hello...

This is some food that helps you to maintain you body to become slim but healthy.

Breakfast: Nonfat Caffe Latte/ Gingerbread Syrup / Fish oil Omega 3/ Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake,/ Banana/ Bacon/ Tea/.

Lunch: Beef Barley Soup/ Apples / Pear/ Carrots,/ Cucumber/.

Dinner: Campbells tomamto soup/ Cheddar cheese/ Milk/ Rice/ Beer Batter Fish/

Snacks: Del Monte Fruit Cocktail/ Green tea w/ honey.

any food you can eat for that..

thank you...
Where did you get this? It seems very limited and not all that healthy. I'm inclined to agree with the previous poster: incorporate as many good quality whole foods into your diet as possible, find an exercise routine you can handle and stick with and go from there. I wasn't sure if this post was joking or not.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

Everyone's diet is individual. I do better with no sugar, less carbs, frequent small meals and snacks. But that's me. Plus I do go for organic and try to stay away from processed foods with occasional cheats.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
FitDay Member

good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.