Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle >

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Notices

Paleo/Primal Blueprint/Caveman Diet, Lifestyle

Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jbarwick06
Hey all I just started Primal Yesterday and I lost 3 LBS Can't say that I'm not happy about it. What is your favorite Breakfast food?
I like 1/2 sliced avocado, almonds, paleo hummus and sliced apples or berries for breakfast.

Chick pea free hummus recipe

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cup Zucchini
1/2 Macadamia Nuts (unsalted...and if you can find raw, even better)
2 T Tahini (You can also make your own tahini if you wish, I just used store bought)
2 T Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 1/2 teas. Lemon Juice
1+ cloves of Garlic
1 teas. Sea Salt
1 slightly rounded teas. Cumin
2 Roasted Red Peppers
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 AM
FitDay Member

Have been doing a modified primal (still like my coffee) for 7 weeks and lost 12 lbs, with the past week a flat plateau -- BUT this weekend we were on vacation and ate fast food for 5 meals in a row. I didn't think my choices were too bad (except for one thing of fries), but the scale shows a 6 POUND increase over two days. Is that even possible?

Very discouraging. Has anyone else seen this happen? And does it go away?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Julie,
Don't worry, that is mostly water gain from all the salt used in fast food. Also, such a big change in diet can all by itself cause water retention. I'll come right off as soon as you get back to your good eating habits.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Pam. You would have had to eaten 21,000 calories over your maintenance to have gained 6 pound of fat.

As Pam said, it is probably mostly water. Drink lots of water (I know it sounds kind of backwards) and you will see it disappear as fast as it came.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you! It was quite the shock. I'm really liking the paleo.

Noticed that I didn't really enjoy the french fries like I would have before. In one way, that's a good thing (I won't miss them). In another, it's sort of sad because I *really* used to look forward to having them once a week.

Thank God for nomnompaleo recipes!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I just discovered mashed cauliflower - I like it even better than mashed potatoes!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cr34t0r
Anyone in here living primal lifestyle?
If you're not I highly recommend you do. Its by far the best stuff there is in my opinion. I see it from results.

I will write more about this. now I just wanted to start a discussion :-)
This website is super cool. to keep score is vital, especially little things. it helps awareness of what you do and what you need to change to make an improvement.

A wellness coach once put me on a diet that sounds very much like the Primal diet. It was an adaption of the blood type diet (I'm an O) and it was basically 1 slice of sprouted grain bread, poultry or fish, a sweet potato or 1/2 c. of brown rice (I always had the sweet potato and the bread both), Lots of green veggies, green salad with olive oil, some butter (as opposed to margarine), 1/4 cup of almonds or trail mix with nuts, seeds and raisins (only almonds if on the Candida diet, which I was) and/or an apple for a snack (two snacks per day), almond butter with the sprout bread or 2 eggs. I also could have 6 baby carrots for a snack or all the celery I could stuff. ;-) This wellness coach advocated whole foods, organic if possible.

Today I'm not being so strict. I'm following the idea but adding other things, even frozen diet entrees, and counting calories.

Some friends praise the Whole 30 diet for fast weight loss-sort of a less strict form of the Paleo diet.

Perhaps I'll buckle down and do the low carb or Whole 30 thing if I'm not satisfied with my loss the way I'm doing it. My calories are too low right now and I know it, but once I get started I hate to eat more than I have to. Yes, I know, I don't want to get into starvation mode and stop losing...::sigh::. Funny thing though, after being such a sugar addict and carb addict, a few days on a proper diet and I just lose my appetite and I don't even want to eat that much. Does this happen to anyone else? Sheesh, I have a huge bag of Hershey's miniatures for the trick or treaters, and I've hardly touched them That's a miracle for me. What is ordinary for me is a half gallon of ice cream in two days, or an entire batch (or bag) of cookies, if I have either in the house--so I can't have them in the house ==8-0. But when dieting, all of that craving is gone.

Last edited by purebliss; 10-30-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hi! Just joined.

Been following a lower-carb lifestyle for awhile but need to get VERY low-carb for health reasons. Also need to lose about 35 lbs and that's not easy when you're over 50. Recently discovered primal blueprint and it sounds closest to my desired diet for type O. Problem is I'm on a very tight budget and have lots of food allergies. Any tips?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Mostly Paleo

Hello everyone!
I started eating mostly paleo a little over a month ago and lost 4 pounds so far. I also dont get stomach aches like I used to. I didn't think I could give up grains and legumes, but I honestly don't miss them like I thought I would. I am a dietetic technician and never agreed with giving up a food group. I had to eat my words after researching the negative affects of grains on the body. I enjoy cooking paleo too. I definitley plan to keep up eating a clean paleo diet.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/ForumRules.html

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 11-20-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by fayelayne
Been following a lower-carb lifestyle for awhile but need to get VERY low-carb for health reasons. Also need to lose about 35 lbs and that's not easy when you're over 50. Recently discovered primal blueprint and it sounds closest to my desired diet for type O. Problem is I'm on a very tight budget and have lots of food allergies. Any tips?

Hi Fayelayne,
I started a long response yesterday and got kicked out of FD . It happens.

The gist of my comment is that when people think paleo they often think that you have to replace all your carbs with meat or protein. Really the idea is keep protein levels moderate, keep fat moderate, and get lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Some paleo-types forbid tofu and other soy products because, afterall, soybeans are legumes. I don't tend to be quite so strict - its a good, inexpensive, protein source. I tend to rely on eggs, chicken & fish. Canned tuna and hard boiled eggs are staples in my lunch box. I'll use tofu in stir fries to up the protein content, and although dairy is also something paleo-ites keep to a minimum, I do rely on cottage cheese, goat cheese and occassional hard cheeses for both protien and fats.

Finally, I try to make 1/2 of my plate veggies. Both lunches and dinners are often a big old salads with fish, chicken, or ever beef on top. I have really gotten into stir fried greens recently, which are cheap in-season. Oh and did I mention bacon? My grocery sells "ends and pieces" for a fraction of the cost of regular bacon - great for adding to salads, scrambled eggs, or cooked veggies.

I hope that helps a bit. Since carbohydrate rich foods tend to be cheap foods, getting started on a low carb/paleo diet can seem a little daunting to the pocket book. But some planning and experience will go a long way to making it all affordable. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.