Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
always hated fish, but wanting to try again >

always hated fish, but wanting to try again

Community
Notices

always hated fish, but wanting to try again

Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

I pretty much eat it every day. I dislike any fishy smell, slime, stuff like that but tilapi a is pretty good. I buy the frozen vacum sealed filets. I lightly olive oil a pan, add garlic, fish, sprinkle red pepper , cook both sides. I like to add the lemon towards the end. I lean towards the over cooking side, tends to be less fishy to me.

Yes , you should try it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I think there is a difference between ocean fish and lake fish - halibut, snapper, fresh tuna, salmon, have less of a "fishy" taste to me than something like catfish. The key is freshness. If you don't live near an ocean you might do better looking for frozen fish. And try different grocery stores - ones that define themselves as more "upscale" tend to have better fish selection. Frozen prawns are also a good alternative.

For salmon, I like baking it slowly covered with foil and with slices of lemon on it. Fresh tuna is good peppered and seared in a pan. Don't cook it too much - it is best almost raw. A whitefish like snapper or tilapia is good baked in parchment with chopped tomato, onions, and herbs. It is lowfat, and the acidity of the tomato and the flavor of the onion counters the "fishy" flavor. The parchment keeps the juices in, which then can be soaked up by brown rice or something like that.
Good luck!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Mahi Mahi is my all time favorite fish. Grill it or cook in oven. Great with steak seasoning or as simple as salt and pepper. When I eat it, I do not miss steak. YUM YUM.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Tilapia, red snapper, flounder, cod, farm raised catfish are all pretty mild fish.

Another way to prepare fish that allows for alot of seasoning is poaching.

Throw some chicken stock in a pan (and some wine if you want) choose your seasonings (works great with fresh herbs.) make sure that there is enough liquid to cover 2/3's of your fish and put a lid on it.

Your fish will be cooked in probably 3-8 minutes depending on the size and amount. It comes out flaky, moist and generally takes on the aromatics that you use to cook the fish in also (so less fishy.)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Personally, I like seared tuna. I had some in New Orleans that was amazing and I'm trying to recreate it. foodnetwork.com has some nice recipes that I'm gonna try, and they are all "easy," which is key for me.