Community
Notices

Hi! New here...

Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi! New here...

Hi everyone.

So I have been putting on a bit of weight over the last few years and have tried various things for it, on and off, and kept losing and regaining weight with that. I know what my problem is, my diet is horrible. I'm too lazy to cook most of the time and usually make do with frozen or instant or quick cook foods and dont have regular meals but eat only when hungry.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to take action and joined this place called Vibes where they have a weight loss programme which includes Diet counselling, exercise and toning massages. Honestly I dont really understand how all of that works. I only joined because the programme helped my brother in law lose 20 pounds in a month.

The problem is, the dietitian is driving me crazy. The diet plan she gave me to follow for the next week is about 700 calories and has absolutely no protein. She told me if I feel weak or tired I should dissolve a bit of sugar in water and drink it. Anyway i didnt think it was healthy and started looking online and found this site. Hope this place helps keep me motivated, coz seriously I tried following the diet today and was constantly hungry and couldn't concentrate on work.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome, I'm new here too. I don't have a degree in nutrition but here is my two cents: From all the reading I have done, 700 calories a day sounds too low. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to every calorie possible. You also need lean protein in your diet (roughly speaking, divide your weight in half and whatever that is in pounds, that is about how many grams of protein is recommended). I would research more about that particular nutritionist and get some second opinions from other ones in your area.
- ZC
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM
FitDay Member

I am also skeptical of a 'nutritionist' who prescribes a 700 cal. diet with no protein. In my opinion a diet with a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit that is balanced at 30% Protein 40% Carbs and 30% Fat will help you lose weight in a sane healthy manner. You will only lose 1-2 pounds/week but you can adjust your foods (mostly by eating more veggies) and never have to be hungry.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the response guys. After doing a lot of reading online I decided to follow a 1200 calorie a day diet and added a bit of cardio. I had been to the weight loss center for my second session today and turns out I lost 2 pounds over the last 3 days. So I decided not to say anything. Gonna wait and see what happens.