Notices

Diet Arguments...AGH!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Arguments...AGH!

It seems that no matter what we post--or how much research we have to back up our posts, there is always an argument.

We need to realize that there are several things that ALWAYS help us lose weight:
  • tracking our foods/journaling/whatever you call it
  • making healthier choices than we made in the past
  • changing our lifestyle to become more active (whether you believe in targeted weight loss through exercise or not, research shows that exercise helps your insulin process and blood pressure improve--both of which lead to weight loss)

Any diet will work short term--we need lifestyle changes to keep off what we've lost and not gain back over time. Unless there are current [usually unknown to the person] disorders, a short time of restricting a food will not result in health problems. Restricting processed foods and sugars will rarely result in health problems--with the exception of a few unusual disorders.

We also need to realize that one man's passion is another man's poison. I get tired of people attacking those who watch carbs...telling us that we NEED carbs. Personally, the last time I ate wheat and corn, I ended up in the hospital. They are poison to me. They cause digestive distress and extreme pain. That may not happen with everyone...we need to be mature enough to understand that each person's body uses food slightly differently than another's.

There are foods that make us SICK...and we often don't realize what they are until we cut them out and add them back in over time. Adding those foods back one at a time gives us a chance to figure out what is really happening. I would never have dreamed, for example, that tomato sauce gives me indigestion...not until I cut it out and added it back in. No more tomato sauce for me. Broiled tomatoes (often topped with fresh basil and mozzarella) are fine...tomato sauce makes me very uncomfortable and gassy.

Each of us have different food allergies, and some of us are better at figuring them out than others...some of those allergies make us sick, some make us gain weight. If you are "for" your diet, post on that diet's thread. If you are "against" a diet, leave that thread alone. We're all adults (at least, most of us are), toot your own horn, but don't stick a sock in mine.

Last edited by volleyballgranny; 05-09-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

All the carb business aside (and the foods that poison, etc.), what is worth repeating over and over is: 'any diet will work short-term.' Wow! If people really realized that, they wouldn't argue about any food or any diet - ever! They would just shut up and diet. And if some food made them feel ill, for whatever reason having to do with their own individual health profile and tastes and genetic makeup, they'd simply change diets. Because ANY diet works short-term. ANY!

Just think, all those people who ate tons of fruit and the weight came off (Beverly Hills Diet) would be just fine with their diet philosophy. Because it worked for them. If it didn't work for them, then they would try something else. The 'Super Cleanse' diet (maple syrup, cayenne, water, etc.) might work just fine. Or the Cabbage Soup diet. Or the SlimFast diet, or the 'chew each mouthful twenty times' diet (The Fletcher diet).

Working out something you can live with long term is the challenge. ANY diet works short-term. What can get you through Christmas, New Years, baby showers, periods of stress and depression, more than you can imagine at the moment, and wonderful vacations in Paradise-like locations with gorgeous food and sun - you have to work out that all those things constitute the life you're going to live. Life is a whole lot more complicated and what you eat is a decision you will make two or three times a day (or more, depending on the circumstances). Whatever you decide is your strategy for KEEPING the weight off (not losing it - although that's where the emphasis usually goes in diet discussions). 'Keeping it off' is the hardest thing you will do.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

There are hundreds of lists of mouth watering foods that contains a promising amount of carbohydrates.. Well, carbs are still a part of our food pyramid. meaning, we still need them to keep our body goin'. one more thing is that you must keep your self motivated. Motivation can keep you goin'. well goodluck!!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Great post, granny. I have been low carbing for a long time - I have lost 92 pounds- and have learned that it works for me. My blood work, body, and energy level has never been higher. As I get close to goal I am gravitating toward a paleo diet. That suits me even better.

A friend of mine does WW and it works great for her. She is happy, has figured out how to maintain, and I wouldn't think of trashing her WOE because it works for her.

I also agree on the food intolerances. Through eating an ultra clean, no processed food, no dairy, no grain diet for a few weeks I was able to really clean my body out. When I started to add foods back in, I was surprised at how apparent the allergies/intolerances were. In the course of this testing I have found that in addition to most dairy and all grains, I have issues with eggplant, peanuts, pumpkin, and a number of other foods.

I would never push Atkins on someone else or tell them that their chosen WOE is horrible. I expect the same courtesy.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Regarding carbs, remember if you had to choose only two macronutrients to live on the rest of your life you'd be very wise to say fat and protein; there are essential fats and proteins, no essential carbs.

More important than one's macro ratios is almost certainly their weight. If a person needs a high meat/fat diet and can live like that but maintain a healthy weight this is probably ok for them. If one prefers high carbs but can keep weight down, then go for it.

The lay person doesn't know much about nutrition and unfortunately science has been light on it. What we know now is that in fact a low-fat diet is WORSE for one's tricglyercides and blood pressure than a diet that replaces some of these carbs with healthy fats.

This is a highly complex subject with a huge amount of confounding and conflicting variables, but I do think Western diets as a whole are too high in carbs, and certainly too high in simple processed carbs (sugar). Not
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
All the carb business aside (and the foods that poison, etc.), what is worth repeating over and over is: 'any diet will work short-term.' Wow! If people really realized that, they wouldn't argue about any food or any diet - ever! They would just shut up and diet. And if some food made them feel ill, for whatever reason having to do with their own individual health profile and tastes and genetic makeup, they'd simply change diets. Because ANY diet works short-term. ANY!

Just think, all those people who ate tons of fruit and the weight came off (Beverly Hills Diet) would be just fine with their diet philosophy. Because it worked for them. If it didn't work for them, then they would try something else. The 'Super Cleanse' diet (maple syrup, cayenne, water, etc.) might work just fine. Or the Cabbage Soup diet. Or the SlimFast diet, or the 'chew each mouthful twenty times' diet (The Fletcher diet).

Working out something you can live with long term is the challenge. ANY diet works short-term. What can get you through Christmas, New Years, baby showers, periods of stress and depression, more than you can imagine at the moment, and wonderful vacations in Paradise-like locations with gorgeous food and sun - you have to work out that all those things constitute the life you're going to live. Life is a whole lot more complicated and what you eat is a decision you will make two or three times a day (or more, depending on the circumstances). Whatever you decide is your strategy for KEEPING the weight off (not losing it - although that's where the emphasis usually goes in diet discussions). 'Keeping it off' is the hardest thing you will do.
I completely agree with you, but just to add a little, any diet will work short term, but will you be healthy if you followed THAT diet long-term?? So, the art is to find a diet you can stick with AND be healthy.

As for arguments, sometimes I just cant be bothered to enter the arena. But it was heartening to me to find out that a friend of mine (who took a dim view of me following Atkins in 2003), is now Low Carbing. She said she is now annoyed that she swallowed the false information from her diet clubs for so many years and realises that what I was saying, SO long ago, is sound. Woop-woop!!!

I still have great faith in Atkins and return to it regularly. Its not his fault I keep going astray, its mine, the flesh is weak (and plump).