Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Higher Calorie Intake and More Exercise! >

Higher Calorie Intake and More Exercise!

Community
Notices

Higher Calorie Intake and More Exercise!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Higher Calorie Intake and More Exercise!

I have found with my metabolism I can lose weight twice as fast by increasing my daily caloric intake by about 200, and adding about 15 minutes to my fitness routine. The proportional weight loss over time vs. lower calories and less exercise is quite amazing. Plus, I feel better and I can add a satisfying snack or two. Anyone else experience this or am I the only freak?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

If it works for you, then there's nothing freaky about it.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

Skipper,
I would be curious as to what your exercise routine is and what kind of exercise you are adding?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Skipper,
I would be curious as to what your exercise routine is and what kind of exercise you are adding?
mcduff,

Thats a fair question. Should have explained it better. I currently alternate daily between a weight (circuit training) routine, and a cardio routine, 5x a week. Each are approximately 45 minutes. The weight routine involves various free weight stations blended with a boxing workout. The cardio routine involves bicycling and abdominal exercises. I am simply adding minutes to each routine, all exercises are staying the same. I found I needed to add calories to have the energy to do this, but the payoff far exceeds the addition. Losing weight at a much more rapid pace than before, and I feel better.

Hope that explains it.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

rpmcduff,
I noticed that we are about the same age, and I was the exact same weight as you when you started, though I have only lost 20 lbs so far. My goal is the same as yours, 200 lbs. I have not been that weight in 20 years, so I'm motivated to get there again.
Just wanted to say congrats to you for your obvious dedication. Good job.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

It's quite possible that you are adding lean body mass (muscle) with the exercise. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn, either at rest or during activity.

What made a big difference for me is when I started to make sure I timed my workouts (especially weights) so I could eat a high protein meal or snack with an hour of the exercise. I don't know if that is the case with you, but it really helped me maintain or add to my lean mass even while I was dropping body fat like a bad habit.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Skipper50
rpmcduff,
I noticed that we are about the same age, and I was the exact same weight as you when you started, though I have only lost 20 lbs so far. My goal is the same as yours, 200 lbs. I have not been that weight in 20 years, so I'm motivated to get there again.
Just wanted to say congrats to you for your obvious dedication. Good job.
Sounds like you have found the magic ratio of exercise and calories! I also think Clarkslp has some valid points about protein. I haven't been at 200 for over 30 years. But I think I am more motivated than when I started my journey. I have had my bumps and setbacks but still moving forward. I look forward to hearing about more of your success. (Us old guys need some motivation too!)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

Clark,

Thats exactly what I'm doing! I eat a high protein, low carb meal about 30 minutes after my late afternoon workout. Seems to be working really well so far. I do get a bit of a carb craving about 8pm, but I find 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese with Stevia and cinnamon makes the hunger-monster go away and I sleep better too.

Ron- congrats on reaching your 'mini-goal!' PS: I'm not sure we qualify as "old guys" just yet.-lol
Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Skipper50
Ron- congrats on reaching your 'mini-goal!' PS: I'm not sure we qualify as "old guys" just yet.-lol
LOL, Maybe you are in denial? I look at my 'kids' and now my grandkids and realize that I have become my father, lol. I am in better shape and healthier than I have been for years. I've just come to the realization that I have to work at being fit and healthy at this age.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
I've just come to the realization that I have to work at being fit and healthy at this age.
It was easier when we were younger - but not automatic .