Notices

Melatonin?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default my experience with melatonin

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Has anyone ever tried this for sleep? If so, what were your experiences, good or bad?

Thanks...
Hi Cassie!

I've tried taking melatonin to help me sleep for a bit and it did work wonders. I've had troubles falling asleep for as long as I can remember and all of a sudden when I started taking this little sub-lingual dissolving pile I could fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow.

However, after about two weeks of using it, it's effect stopped. So I had to stop taking it for a while to not let my body get used to it too much. I just take it once in a while now when I need a good night's sleep and it works alright. But, I usually end up waking up a few hours into my sleep and having a hard time falling asleep after. Also, if I don't go to bed right when I feel the effect (get sleepy) then I seem to only be tired but unable to sleep.

It might also mess with hormonal levels if you take some sort of hormone medication. So, be careful with that. My sleep issues are linked to hypothyroidism. Might be worth looking into if it's something you're worried about.

Hope this helps!

*Becky