Notices

'Lifestyle' calorie equation

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default 'Lifestyle' calorie equation

Based on my profile, my "Lifestyle" target for daily calories came out to ~2800. This is within the range that I have seen on other calculators, and I feel is fairly accurate. However, if I add in 8 hours of sleep, my daily target drops to 2400.

My question is, does the 'Lifestyle' target number for 24 hours include an average sleep duration (say 6-8 hours) in it's equation? Should I be adding in my overnight sleep as a separate activity or assume that is factored in and just add any additional sleep during the day?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Not sure

I assume that since Sleep is a listed activity then the livestyle calculation does not include it.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fejerangs
I assume that since Sleep is a listed activity then the livestyle calculation does not include it.
I have been adding sleep in, but am also looking for an answer to the same question. when I add it, my 'lifestyle' calories drop to about 1,800 (I have a desk job) which seems on the low side, as I don't sit around in the evenings.

Anyone out there know the answer?

Jane
Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

I add sleep because I've noticed that it says your lifestyle is 24 hours. When you add sleep it takes however many hrs you sleep away from lifestyle.

I don't know what the answer is for sure, but adding sleep just seems to make sense.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

I add sleep into the activity log and the total calorie burn comes out to what I have found on other websites and, compared with calories in, the rate I am losing pounds.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

I log sleep as well. My "lifestyle" is seated, some movement because that's how I am at home. However, my job is pretty active, so I log it as an activity. Maybe you should make your lifestyle more active and log the sedentary work hours? I find I burn almost 1000 calories more on a workday than I do at home (10 hrs on my feet, and a good portion of that spent restraining dogs).
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 AM
FitDay Member

So, I too, was wondering if sleep was included, but I looked into it and this is what I found.

"You use energy no matter what you're doing, even when sleeping. The BMR Calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day.

The Harris Benedict Equation is a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories). The only factor omitted by the Harris Benedict Equation is lean body mass. Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs)."

So what I take from this, is that your BMR includes sleep, then you factor in the Harris Benedict Equation for you activities. I think sleep may be included in activities for naps or something. I'm no expert, but this is how I understood it. I would love to get a definite answer on this though.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

One of the FitDay administrators answered this a couple months ago and said that it DOES include sleep.

However, for myself, I have to put sleep in; when I do, it all balances out and translates into 3500 calories burned "on paper" equals one pound loss on the scale. I don't know why this is, but after 3 months, it has been dead on. So I continue to put sleep in, though YMMV.