Beef talk.  Who cares where's the beef? >

Beef talk. Who cares where's the beef?

Community
Notices

Beef talk. Who cares where's the beef?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I'll be sure to mosey on down your way sometime!
Just don't expect me to use gas! I take my grilling seriously, too serious to use gas. They only think a propane tank is good for is boiling a big ass pot of crawfish... not crayfish as the dumb spell check thinks it is.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

I love my beef! Raised my own grass fed beef for years. Now I get a half at a time from a rancher friend. Couple of nutrition facts I read recently:
1) Grass fed Beef is actually higher in Omega-3s than salmon.
2) Saturated fats like those found in red meat actually help keep testosterone levels up for men who weight lift.

I love a steak seasoned with salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper then grilled medium rare!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Just don't expect me to use gas! I take my grilling seriously, too serious to use gas. They only think a propane tank is good for is boiling a big ass pot of crawfish... not crayfish as the dumb spell check thinks it is.
Now there I have to disagree. Propane makes great grilled veggies, better than coal even, probably because you have more control over the heat. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good coal fired piece of meat, but the best type of grilling fire is wood, specifically hickory and/or maple. We can't get mesquite around here, it doesn't grow in our climate. And not those ridiculous flakes of wood that people dump in their gas grills either, I'm talking about a real campfire here with logs and soot, it makes the best s'mores too.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
The cut isn't the only thing to look for, get a good grade, although I can even make a select steak make you want to slap your mama, give me choice and angus and you'll be throwing rocks at her. BTW, nothing against your mom.
AND, when at the market, don't buy the steaks that were cut that day. Look for the ones with the "reduced for quick sale" sticker on them. They don't call it aged beef for nuthin! The market manager at my store will always let me know when he has NY Strip, T-bone or Porterhouse marked down. He knows that I'll most likely clean him out!
Originally Posted by almeeker
it makes the best s'mores too.
Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more?
Some more of what?
No, do you wanna s'more?
I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?
You're killing me Smalls! These are s'more's stuff! Ok, pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallows flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good! Try some!

HAHAHA you made me quote The Sandlot!!! and now I want some s'mores!!

AND FOR YOU BARGAIN SHOPPERS OUT THERE!
When buying beef (sometimes pork) always look for which roast or whole cuts are on sale. Most supermarkets (with the exception of WalMart) have full service meat markets. Which means they will cut or grind you whatever you want while you wait. So, if bottom round roast is on sale cheaper than ground beef, ASK the cutter to grind it for you. And if a whole cut is on sale (usually even cheaper than precut roasts) ask them to cut it up for you. Think outside the box with it. Usually a whole bottom or top round can be cut into a nice sized roast, a couple of packages of ground beef and usually some left over for stew meat. Don't let the initial price of the cut scare you, yeah your gonna pay a chunk of change at a time, but in the long run you're getting a HECK of a deal!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 AM
FitDay Member

I don't eat it all the time but if cattle went extinct and there were no similar tasting animals to dine on I think I would fall into a deep depression.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I don't eat it all the time but if cattle went extinct and there were no similar tasting animals to dine on I think I would fall into a deep depression.
I feel this way about chickens.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I feel this way about chickens.
Oh me too!! I can eat chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every night of the week and be fine with it.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA
I don't eat a lot of beef, but I don't shun it either. Turkey chili has just never done it for me, so that is one dish that definitely calls for beef in my book. I enjoy a lean steak from time to time, but it isn't something I make often. I shop sales and buy grass-fed whenever I can (it can be hard to find though and I envy those of you with a good supply). I generally only eat about a 3-4 oz. serving of meat, so a pack of meat goes pretty far.

I agree with you on turkey chili. It is beef or no meat at all. And I do love several versions of veggie chili.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

We've also switched over to grass fed beef....I'm lucky enough to work with a guy that has a small herd. I also hunt and fish so there is fresh fish, pheasant, and (most years) some venison alongside the side of beef in the freezer.

That said, we love our chicken! Usually get the bulk chicken breasts from Costco and grill up the whole batch (10lbs), then vacuum seal it into individual portions.

Overall I would guess my meat consumption breaks down something like this...
Chicken: 30%
Grass-Fed Beef: 25%
Venison: 15%
Fish: 10%
Turkey: 5%
Scallops/Shrimp: 5%
Peasant: 5%
'Eating out' - steak, sushi, etc: 5%

This seems to work out well for me...

Last edited by clarkslp; 01-31-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

I'd take a venison steak over barf, I mean beef, any day.

That includes ground venison with a bit of pork mixed in, over hamburger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.