Notices

Your thoughts on sprinting vs jogging?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default Your thoughts on sprinting vs jogging?

I saw this on Youtube Does Exercise Make You Fat? The Surpising Answer from Fat-Burning Man. - YouTube

And some other time I saw a part about the benefits of "slow burn", totally different views!

What do you think? Sprint or slow burn? Or a mix? And why?

Thanks for replying
Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM
FitDay Member

I was a runner for many years and I've never encountered this idea that running makes the body store fat. His before and after pictures don't tell the whole story. His puffiness is most likely extra stored glycogen and water due to tapering for the marathon. His muscle gain is certainly due to reduced mileage allowing him to regain his natural level of muscle.
Claiming sprinting builds muscle by looking at sprinters is misleading. Sprinting self selects for a muscular, powerful build just as distance running selects for the thin and lean.

His diet after his long runs shows little knowledge of refuel after near depletion of glycogen.

Also, the claims that a few minutes of high intensity work is misleading. You can't jump into a sprinting workout without a solid warmup and cooldown which can add up to a fair amount of running which is not accounted for.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nice analysis HC
As far as a personal workout - both count. If you want to run fast, you have to practice running fast. If you want to build endurance, you have to practice running for a long time, which usually means a slower pace.

"Jogging" means different things to different people and different things depending on your fitness level. At the moment for me "jogging" is 10 min miles. Not too long ago 10 min miles was my "running" pace.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

I believe the best of both worlds can be achieved using HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). A example of HIIT would be 20 second run with 40 second jog. The research I have read indicates HIIT works best in this 1:2 ratio (but I have seen results when I couldn't achieve this because of my poor fitness) and that HIIT should be performed for approx 20 minutes. This is thought to set the bodies metabolism up as the body is expecting to have to perform at any time. This effect can last up to 24 hours after the HIIT exercise is performed. This after effect can account for almost double the calorie burn over steady state cardio performed for the same amount of time. Google HIIT for more information.

I am admittedly biased. I have never been a believer in long distance running because of the muscle loss that occurs. I find the sprinter type physic more appealing than the emancipated look of a distance runner. Just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default HIIT vs SS cardio

I found this article a while back that has some good info on various types of cardio: How to do cardio if you must | Wannabebig

its from a bodybuilding website, so they're a bit biased against cardio, but the info is still good.

the one thing I really took from this article is to to add some low intensity cardio after doing HIIT

Michelle