Notices

Calories burned??

Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calories burned??

Hi, Not sure how to use this board but thanks for helping with advice.

When I was younger I used to eat around 1200 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week (app.) Now when I calculate calories on the Fitday site it says I can eat 1800 calories a day because when I log in my excercises as well it says I burn 2400 (app.) a day and that is enough to lose weight. Is this true or am i fooling myself? I want to lose 15-20 lbs. in 6 months,if possible.
Thanks,
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi!

15-20lbs in 6 months is certainly do-able. The biggest thing I can tell you is to make sure when you are logging your activities make sure that you log sleep. How ever many hours of sleep you got....log it! You may see a difference in your burn vs intake that way. I know I do. The other thing to keep in mind is that in general burning 500 calories more than you eat per day will yield a 1 lb per week fat loss. Unless the laws of nature decide to play with your scale.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default calories burned??

Hi Thanks for responding. How do you log in sleep hours? I thought those were already calculated when you did the first Profile page and you chose your activity level like working on feet or extremley active. Doesn't it include the 24 hour day already?
Also Congratulations on your weight loss. I don't believe I am actually going to be able to lose any weight since all I have been doing is gaining for so long.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Sleep is, in theory, included, but many of us find our numbers match up to our burn/losses better if we do include it. Just find sleeping under activities (or search for it), and put in the time.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

hi, I am back on fit day because I need to be accountable to myself somehow// But the question I have as fr as burning calories-How many caloiries do you burn changing the fauset in your bathroom. I have had the faucet for several years and was cleaning out the vanity and decided to change it. Today I have a few sore muscels but no leaks.
I try to get in some kind of work out everyday so I burn more caleries.. Good luck on your wight lose. You have come to the right place
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by adyndravo1

hi, I am back on fit day because I need to be accountable to myself somehow// But the question I have as fr as burning calories-How many caloiries do you burn changing the fauset in your bathroom. I have had the faucet for several years and was cleaning out the vanity and decided to change it. Today I have a few sore muscels but no leaks.
I try to get in some kind of work out everyday so I burn more caleries.. Good luck on your wight lose. You have come to the right place
hmmm. check housework general. There are a number of options. But by and large, your average house keeping activies do not burn very much. I pretty much requires vigorous activities out of you normal day-to-day routine.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

You can lose on that level. And truth be told, why not? Be honest about your food, be accurate about your caloric counts and it will happen. Be mindful when you eat. Focus on the taste of the food.

Don't forget to move around. Don't forget to drink your water. Eat GOOD food and you won't be as tempted to eat "bad" food. At least that is how my little brain works.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
You can lose on that level. And truth be told, why not? Be honest about your food, be accurate about your caloric counts and it will happen. Be mindful when you eat. Focus on the taste of the food.

Don't forget to move around. Don't forget to drink your water. Eat GOOD food and you won't be as tempted to eat "bad" food. At least that is how my little brain works.
I don't know that I agree with that, not knowing anything else about the OP. For example, if I ate 1800 calories a day, I'd barely be breaking even on the days I exercise, and gaining on the days I didn't. And I do know this for sure, because I've had the body fat/body composition hydrostatic weighing done, and it even goes a step farther than most calculators and takes body composition into account when calculating calories burned.

My best advice, other than the aforementioned logging in of sleep, is to find a calculator that takes into account your height, weight, and age, as well as activity level to tell you realistically how many calories you burn in a day. The smaller you are, and the older you are, the fewer you burn. What I did was to find some such calculators online, then I adjusted my FitDay to be consistent with those. It came in line when I started logging my sleep.