New to Fitday and Type 2 diabetes >

New to Fitday and Type 2 diabetes

Community
Notices

New to Fitday and Type 2 diabetes

Old 10-20-2011, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

Default New to Fitday and Type 2 diabetes

Hi all, I've been on Fitday for almost a week now, and just love it so far. My sister was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I really wanted to give her some positive support. I'm buddying up with her on her new way of eating to keep her motivated, and hopefully drop a few lbs myself. When I weighed myself on Sunday, I tipped the scales at 310 lbs. <insert gasp here>. Yeah, I know...huge, right? But I'm not going to sulk about my number, it's time for me to get serious... so here I am.

I'm looking forward to to reading the forums and all about everyone here. I'm a bit of a lurker when it comes to forums, so I don't know how often I'll post... but I think might be a good place for me to come once the honeymoon is over with my new way of life (and my carb cravings kick in).

So, good to meet you all and good luck on your journeys!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome!

310? You're a stick! (well, at least compared to where I was a year and a half ago) .

Seriously, I know it seems like almost insurmountable but if you commit to a lifestyle change that provides a daily calorie deficit and you track it on FitDay that you CAN do it, and probably more quickly than you might imagine.

There's nothing wrong with lurking, but you may find that participating in the forums may help you in your journey. If you like, check out our 100 plus pounds to lose thread--many people there who are/were in your situation. Also, we just started our Lose 10% of your body weight by New Years challenge in the Diet Tips forums and you're welcome to join.

If you need any help or advice, just ask.

Regards,
Michael
Old 10-24-2011, 10:07 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the welcome, Michael!

Thank you also for the encouragement. Looking at your stats gives me much hope. Wow, you've done an amazing job! It's especially encouraging to see someone in my age group (I'm 49) having such great success in their weight loss journey. As you well know, the weight doesn't want to come off as easily as it did 10yrs ago.

I think I will check out the threads you mentioned. I'd love to join the Lose 10% of your body weight challenge by New Years. It sounds like a good way to keep my motivation higher than it already is.

I'll see you around the boards!
Liz
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Yup, as we age the weight loss seems to slow a bit. In past weight loss journeys I have dropped 200+ pounds in well under a year. Now, here I am going on 18 months into it and still have 30 pounds or so to go. Of course, I will admit that I have not been as strict as I could have been. And this is by design, for the most part. I've found that being "perfect", while effective in the short run, can be a recipe for disaster in the long run. Once that "perfectness" is broken, all or nothing thinking easily kicks in and the down hill spiral begins. Better, I think, to plan for the occasional "day off", then the pressure is off--sort of like that first scratch on a new car.

In any case, please do stick around and join in if you like. I'd like nothing better than to see you under 200 by this time next year (or before)!

Regards,
Michael