Notices

Quorn is the future!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Quorn is the future!!!

Hey

I have no doubt I'm not the first person to jump on the Quorn wagon whilst losing weight but I have to preach!

Walked to the supermarket today to get some food for the weekend when I stumbled across a small selection of Quorn products. Having seen some adverts on TV about Quorn without paying too much attention, I thought I'd check it out.

WOW. Quorn cottage pie (300g) 200 calories! Imense! And the rest of the nutrition is low too.

OH LORD. Quorn Peppered Steaks (100g) 100 calories a pop! They look huge and the protein content is nice and high per 100g.

HEAVEN. Quorn Lamb Steaks (100g) under 100 calories a pop! Again decent sized and looked beautiful.

Also I bought sausage and mash, not sure of grams but 330 calories and looks decent portion. Spaghetti with meatballs 300 calories looks nice too.

The best thing is I can now still stuff my face with food, especially meat and still be under my calorie allowance!! I could actually eat one of each today for just over 1000 calories!!

Went for the cottage pie for lunch after egg and spahetti hoops for breakfast. Plan to have at least one steak for afternoon snack then treating myself to chicken and chips tonight from a Harvester which hits in at 690 calories. Even with two steaks as snacks this afternoon I'd only consume 1400 calories for an absolute feast!

I actually love dieting! So exciting!!

Oh and p.s. - As I walked mile and half to and from the supermarket (3 in total) I could potentially eat a couple more steaks haha!!

Phew need to take a breath now!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

How many grams of sodium/ sugar are in these items though
Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 21jamira
How many grams of sodium/ sugar are in these items though
0.48g in cottage pie
Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

A vegetarian choice for a great "chicken" salad is...

Quorn Chik n Tender chunks:

Ingredients: mycoprotein (78%), rehydrated egg white, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract. Contains less than 2% or less of salt, pea fiber, natural flavors from non-meat sources, citric acid, calcium lactate, canola oil, gum arabic, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

1 cup (85g)
80 cal
2 fat
9 carb
10 protein

Another brand you may like is Gardein.

The scallopini cutlet is pretty good

Ingredients: water, soy protein isolate, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed/canola oil, organic ancient grain flour (kamut, amaranth, millet, quinoa), natural flavors (from plant sources), modified vegetable gum, yeast extract, potato starch, sea salt, organic cane sugar, vinegar,pea protein, carrot fiber, organic beetroot fiber, garlic powder, onion powder, extractives of paprika and tumeric. rub: spices, red bell pepper flakes.

1 piece (71g)
90 cals
2g fat
4 carb
14 protein
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

I'll have to look for these next time I'm at Kroger. I think they have them in their health food section. Thanks for the tip. I used to eat a lot of different types of vegetarian foods (Amy's Sheperd's Pie is good) but haven't really looked at any new ones for a while. I get on these phases sometimes where I crave meat really badly and then have to eat meat a lot for a while before I can go back to having it once a day or so.

I've tried going vegetarian in the past more than once but it doesn't agree with me. I do however like vegetarian foods
Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Our beach Kroger carries a ton of veggie stuff. The ones I have been in up north suck as far as the selection. They usually only have a little freezer/fridge section. The one here has a whole aisle just for the veggie freezer/fridge stuff.

This is just a small section of the fridge veggie "meat". I took it to show another veggie they had some of the deli "meats" she couldn't find.

I buy the frozen Gardein. The refrigerated stuff isn't as good imo.

This is some of the protein bar aisle. I took it to show a friend since he eats them. The selection is larger than I have seen anywhere else.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
FitDay Member

I got some today I'll have to report back on how they tasted after I try them. They were kind of expensive so I don't think it's the kind of thing I'll have all the time but it's nice to have options!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: I tried one of the Chik'n patties and it was pretty good. Not exactly like real chicken but close enough and I liked it.

Who would think a product derived from mold could taste so much like meat?

Last edited by Rubystars; 10-31-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I love Quorn! Tastes meaty and savory to me - and, with some vegetables, that's a hot meal. For much fewer calories.