Pumpkin calories >

Pumpkin calories

Community
Notices

Pumpkin calories

Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Pumpkin and potatoe

A few in my family think I'm strange for eating pumpkin like a squash. I tell them it's sooo good. I would eat it over Yams any day. Tonight I baked a few potatoes and mixed them in with the pumpkin.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LMB2011
A few in my family think I'm strange for eating pumpkin like a squash. I tell them it's sooo good. I would eat it over Yams any day. Tonight I baked a few potatoes and mixed them in with the pumpkin.
Pumpkin IS a squash. Do they know this?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
FitDay Member

In America pumpkin was a diet staple until about 40 years ago, and not just for humans, pumpkins were also grown as food for livestock, cows LOVE them. The first colonists actually learned how to grow and prepare pumpkins from Native Americans. I have a small collection of antique cookbooks and every one of them has multiple recipes for pumpkin, not just as pie but custard, side dishes and baked goods. My favorite recipe is called "New England Constitutional", and it's basically it's a description on how to bake the pumpkin the night before, season it differently for each meal throughout the day, and save the last of it to bake a pumpkin custard or sweet bread for dessert in the evening.

I'm certain that it is a squash, but would never dare to mention that in my household. DH and little DD both HATE squash, but adore pumpkin. It confuses me to no end, but there you go.