Notices
View Poll Results: Why do you eat popcorn?
Mainly because it tends to be a healthy snack
27.59%
Mainly because I just like it; not really concerned with it being a healthy
72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

All things POPCORN!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 AM
FitDay Member

I loooooove popcorn! I buy it in bulk from the health food store (not sure of the brand, but I think it's British). I use a tiny bit of olive oil in the pan and just pop it on the stove. My favorite seasoning is a mixture of garlic powder, italian herbs, paprika, cayenne, and a hint of salt (and occasionally some grated parmesan). Best food for that mindless snacking I love to do
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
FitDay Member

I discovered my new favorite way to prepare popcorn just the other night. I love using sesame chili oil (in moderation) with a lot of what I cook, and decided to try it with popcorn. I just used a teaspoon for a huge amount of kernels (enough for our family of three), and then topped it off with a little garlic salt and pepper. It's hands down the best popcorn I've ever made, and now my family keeps begging for it. YUM!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Great tip, Sarah! It sounds spicy, so I'm sure I'll love it too!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM
FitDay Member

I remember before I started counting calories I thought popcorn was a low calorie snack so I would eat a huge bowl of it at one time thinking it wasn't fattening.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 PM
FitDay Member

Oh, it's not that bad. I have 4 tablespoons of it every night (unpopped) which amounts to only about 160 calories, air popped. With some spray butter it amounts to 225 calories. Not bad, and it's got a lot of fiber. One could do worse on snacking.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Good stuff

Popcorn is really helping me control the hunger. I bought reduced-fat Smartfood a couple of weeks ago and had to recheck the label twice because I couldn't believe the calorie content in 3 cups. Loving that stuff as a treat or a chip substitute. Now I'm trying out some different microwave corns, all butter flavor.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Smile

There are numerous butter flavoured, in addition barq., cajoun and also dill shakers you should buy to mix tastiness on the popcorn. Unsure precisely how good there're. My favourite will be a combination of sugars and also salt which is most likely a whole lot worse as opposed to butter.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

If you haven't tried nutritional yeast on popcorn, you're missing a unique taste - kind of cheesey, kind of like parmesan, but not dairy. You can find this stuff at Whole Foods or in the health food section of the supermarket.

Nutritional yeast is not like the yeast you use for baking.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I love my popcorn with a little bit of I can't believe it's not butter and some salt and fresh cracked pepper. I never thought that would taste good but I'm addicted to it now!!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

I have eaten popcorn all my life, it is my favorite snacking food in the world. As I've gotten older, I no longer gain weight, no matter what kinds of food I eat and quantities do not matter.
When I was younger, I gained weight until I weighed 403 pounds, all by eating. When I decided to come out of the closet, I realized that no guy would want a two-ton lover. I put myself on my own diet, enjoying my favorite fattening meats and foods for Friday night only, after that I ate healthy. In a little over one year, I went from 403lbs down to 151lbs, waist size 54 to 31. As I got older my body adjusted to my eating and I can now eat tremendous quantities of the most fattening food and not gain an ounce. My total cholesterol is 49, up one point from 6 months ago. Mostly HDL. I am the only person I know of whose doctors advise eating more fats and mainly saturated fats!!

That said, I buy my popping corn from Harris Teeter. It is dirt cheap, comes in plastic bags, and with my method of popping, easily rivals Redenbacher's for size and tenderness.

I use the best popper on earth, the "Whirlypop" kettle. I use coconut oil, purchased from Amazon in one gallon jugs. I normally use two heaping tablespoons of the oil which has hardened in my cool pantry. I have beta carotene powder and also commercial butter/carotene seasoning. When the oil is melted, I use a large commercial shaker and sprinkle alot of the seasoning into the oil. I pour 1/2 cup of the Harris Teeter yellow popping corn, then turn the burner to medium-high and start turning the crank. When the popping starts, I keep cranking at the same speed. IMPORTANT!!!→When you feel the crank getting harder to turn, STOP!! Otherwise the rod on the bottom of the pan will start crumbling the corn near the bottom into pieces. Holding the pot with oven mitts, shake it up and down, put it back on the burner, then shake it up and down one more time. This causes any unpopped kernels to fall to the bottom and pop. Personally when the popping stops, I leave the pan on the burner for several seconds to burn some of the popped kernels. I loved the added taste of a FEW slightly burned kernels. The rest of the popcorn tastes better than true movie theater popcorn. And the cheap Harris Teeter popcorn kernels pop extremely large, rivaling the Orville Redenbachers yellow corn. The beta carotene causes the popped kernels to be a very deep yellow. I never get more than one or two "old maids"!!

Warning: You cannot use Redenbachers popcorn in a Whirly pop, unless you use smaller amounts. The Whirlypop kettle is so efficient that any corn popped in one will pop much larger than when used in a conventional popper. I tried using the recommended 1/2 cup of Orville's yellow and it popped the top off the kettle and went all over the stove!!!