Notices

Anybody drinking green tea for weight loss?

Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Alstair
Green tea helps in burn fat and boosts metabolism. The recent study reported that 3 – 5 cups of green tea per day can help you burn more than 70 calories per day, which amounts to 7 pounds per year.
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do they mean calories or kilocalories? I just remember that thing that went round the internet about drinking iced water to lose weight a few years ago...

Back of an envelope: 70kcal per day would amount to ~25lb of fat per year (1lb of fat stores ~3500kcal), which seems way too much. 70 cal a day would be nothing (~0.12 oz of fat per year).

If you have a link to the study it'd be interesting to read it & see what they did & what they found.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by helveticat
70 cal a day would be nothing (~0.12 oz of fat per year).

I've read it's about 70 calories a day maximum as well. I think this is for the recommended 2-4 cups of green tea per day.

Not sure how you arrive at only .12 oz. lost per year, but

70 cal X 365 days = 25550 calories. 25550/3500 calories per pound = 7.3 pounds.

So, conservatively speaking, I think the 3-5 pounds a year is pretty much reasonable.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
70 cal X 365 days = 25550 calories. 25550/3500 calories per pound = 7.3 pounds.
Whoops, yeah, I messed that up, didn't I? You're right, obviously.

Not sure how you arrive at only .12 oz. lost per year
That would only be if it was 70cals ("little calories"), ie 0.07kcals. The question of which units of measurement were used only came up because the kcals number looked unfeasibly large. Which it was, cos it was wrong...

I'll get back in my box now.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

Ah heck, man, to err is to be human. I happen to be human as well, most of the time.

BTW, your "Brit" regular tea also has catechins in it, just not as much as green tea. The fermenting process of black tea removes some of these essential fat burning nutrients.

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM
FitDay Member

Default Green Tea in Weight Loss

Green tea can help you lose some pounds, but you must be patient I love enjoying a cup of green tea and do not expect much about weight loss miracles.

Last edited by mecompco; 11-29-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Green tea

The thing with green tea is that the water should not be too high a temperature, its best to leave it to cool off a bit and then put the tea in. I use loose leaves of biological Oolong tea, put it in a thermos flask and drink it during the day.

I'm not expecting any miracles here but substituting cola for plain green tea must have its benefits
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Quercetin

Best Quercetin Foods

by Geri Walton ~ January 22nd, 2009

Numerous studies have been done on the health benefits of quercetin, which are the pigments found in plants. Many scientists agree quercetin is beneficial to your health in a variety of ways. It is beneficial because quercetin is a natural and abundant phytochemical, known as a flavonoid, and flavonoids are important because they seem to enhance the function of vitamin C so that it is better absorbed by the body. Quercetin is also an antioxidant, and antioxidants are responsible to control and fight disease-causing free radicals.

There have also been many studies about quercetin, and many have indicated significant anti-inflammatory properties may be present in quercetin. For instance, Paul Kroon, lead researcher in one athersclerosis study stated, “we can confirm that eating quercetin-rich foods may help prevent chronic inflammation leading to cardiovascular disease because the metabolites still have an effect on the cells lining the blood vessels.” A study conducted in 2003 also noted quercetin’s ability to modulate the inflammatory response. In the 2003 study inflammation was induced in rats with carrageenan, and quercetin was able to suppress the inflammation successfully.

It also seems quercetin doesn’t just quiet inflammation. The British Journal of Cancer published an article asserting quercetin seems to have anti-tumor properties. Another study conducted in 2005 found quercetin may indeed have “chemotherapeutic potential or chemoprevention of human cancers,” and, for that reason, researchers want further investigations done into quercetin so its true medicinal capabilities can be accurately determined.

As mentioned, quercetin is found primarily in plants, such as fruits, vegetables, and herbs. If you’re interested in making sure you get quercetin into your daily diet, here’s a list of foods that contain some of the highest quercetin levels:

Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

I have been taking green tea extract capsules plus drinking the tea and can't say I noticed any difference. However, I started thinking maybe its not safe to be consuming green tea anymore as there are reports coming out about food products from Japan having radioactivity in them mostly Cesium because of the nuclear disaster they had. I think all green tea is grown in Japan.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Wohali
I have been taking green tea extract capsules plus drinking the tea and can't say I noticed any difference. However, I started thinking maybe its not safe to be consuming green tea anymore as there are reports coming out about food products from Japan having radioactivity in them mostly Cesium because of the nuclear disaster they had. I think all green tea is grown in Japan.
Prince of Peace green tea, my favorite brand, comes from China, so this brand is an option. As far as I know green tea comes from China but this is easily looked up by googling.

But it's a good point you made about not buying products from Japan because of the fallout!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Prince of Peace green tea, my favorite brand, comes from China, so this brand is an option. As far as I know green tea comes from China but this is easily looked up by googling.

But it's a good point you made about not buying products from Japan because of the fallout!

Actually my research shows that green tea originated in China but now is more commercially grown in Japan especially the cheaper varieties. Prince of Peace is really cheap so I while I enjoy the taste I'm not buying another box of it. Prince of Peace box says its "made in China" that means the tea bags are assembled there...that in no way says the tea is grown there. Thing is there is no way you can guarantee where the tea was grown since there are already cover ups going on. They have been trying to keep quiet how Meiji keeps being busted for radioactive products. They make many of the popular biscuit type Japanese snacks with chocolate and strawberry cream...and they are finding the milk from Japan contains cesium because the cows are eating irradiated grass. The fall out area encompasses a huge area now. After doing a lot of reading I decided to quit purchasing any Asian food products no matter how much I like them and green tea is next to go. Its a foolish cancer risk especially when green tea is not the "magic pill" for weight loss as everyone thinks there is some magic pill out there.

Interestingly, I emailed Lipton to ask them where they get the green tea and after many days they finally replied that I would have to call them to get the answer. Any other company you email them a question and they reply with an answer. So to me this seems suspicious especially since they proudly proclaim on their website their black teas come from Africa, but they don't say where their green tea comes from. My degree was in hazardous waste, so I'm really leery of stuff like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.