Notices

So I'm trying to outsmart...

Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default So I'm trying to outsmart...

... this thing that doesn't even have a brain! I'm trying to trick this mindless, frustrating, yet very complex "system", trying to convince it that it needs to start burning calories again and stop holding on to fat!

I'm stuck on a plateau!

And here it was I used to think that cats were the most finicky things on the planet. No, not really. It's the human digestive system.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

This hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it's only a matter of time so I'm interested to hear the advice of others on this thread. (Coincidentally we started at around the same time and we've lost about the same amount of weight so far; losing a stone in a month is great but it's bound to slow down...).

If I were you I might try intermittent fasting or calorie cycling (alternating high- and low-cal days, where the former are the ones you do your serious workouts). Exercise-wise, just try something you haven't before: HIIT, long-distance running, weight training, whatever. If you're now 13lbs lighter and you run, try running with a 13lb backpack :-)

Failing that, maybe try taking a week or two off, eating at maintenance and doing a lot less exercise. Your body might stop hoarding those calories quite so much.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

helveticat, they are all great recommendations.

The weird thing about this plateau is that I had just increased the calories by 100/day about a week ago. The 1600 average wasn't enough for the exercise level. There haven't been any "cheat days" in weeks however. Plus no cycling up/down as much. Time to get back to what worked.

A friend of mine on weight watchers told me to not only work on different macros, but to alternate the foods throughout the day. Have breakfast for lunch, lunch for breakfast kind of thing. That's worth a shot as well.

I honestly have no idea what to do about the exercise. I feel like I can do it every day now (and want to), yet I'm sure my body would appreciate a decent rest. Interesting you should mention a backbpack. I've been seriously considering it.

Congrats on your loss as well! Funny, we seem to have the same weight goal as well!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Vito, did the weight loss rate gradually taper off or was it an abrupt stop?

If you can, get your body fat % checked, you might be leaner than you realize.
Hydrostatic weighing is the gold standard. Skin-fold calipers can work but the person doing the test must be skilled and the more sites that are measured, the better the results.
The electronic scales/handheld units are only good for a ballpark estimate and can be off 1-2% points on either side.

You can try changing up the duration of exercise, alternate long/short days and build up to one extra long workout once a week.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
Vito, did the weight loss rate gradually taper off or was it an abrupt stop?

It was abrupt! I've been sailing along, then I hit 164 and game over. But this happens to be the weight that I've carried for so many years, until my recent blowup into the 180's. So it's going to be harder to lose from now on.

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
[B]If you can, get your body fat % checked, you might be leaner than you realize.
Hydrostatic weighing is the gold standard. Skin-fold calipers can work but the person doing the test must be skilled and the more sites that are measured, the better the results.
The electronic scales/handheld units are only good for a ballpark estimate and can be off 1-2% points on either side.

Funny you should mention these, I only saw them for the first time today. I'd like to get them, but the bottom line is I KNOW I've still got a bit of a gut. So I KNOW I've still got weight to lose. I've still got about 10 pounds of gut to lose. But these are certainly something I'd like to get in the near future.

You can try changing up the duration of exercise, alternate long/short days and build up to one extra long workout once a week.
Good advice. I've switched my exercise routines, along with mixing my macros and calorie cycling. So let's see if these things can bust the plateau.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
Congrats on your loss as well! Funny, we seem to have the same weight goal as well!
Cheers mate, congrats to you too -- good luck with breaking through the plateau, let us know what does the trick!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks helveticat. I just got on the scale this morn and finally it was down to 163; looks like the plateau is busted.

I upped calories to 1800, from 1650. I've changed up exercise, taken some rest days, and also zig-zagged my calories. Also, eating different kinds of foods, switching up macros, and changing around my eating schedule. These things appear to have done the trick.

Last edited by VitoVino; 09-10-2011 at 02:38 AM.