The Healthy Community..continued >

The Healthy Community..continued

Community
Notices

The Healthy Community..continued

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Deanna,

Greek yogurt is thicker and creamier than the other kinds and is also very high in protein. It also has lower sugar and less lactose, I believe. I think it is strained to remove the liquid. I buy the fat free version in fruit or vanilla; the vanilla has 110 cals per 5 oz container and the fruit varieties have about 130. To me, it's well worth it for the 15 or so grams of protein. (I think the stuff Desertmountain provided the nutritional info for is the plain and you can doctor it up with sweeteners or whatever else you want to put in).
Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

I have not seen greek yogurt here in BC...Anyone else?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

Another stupid question- or two Does it say Greek Yogurt? Can you buy it at a regular grocery store?

Deanna
Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

Alittlebitsassy..Ive bought it in Safeways here in Alberta cant remember the brand name...Liberte???
Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Both kinds available here, Oikos and Chobani, say "Greek yogurt" on them. I have Chobani in my regular grocery store and Oikos in the Walmart. They come in 5 oz. cups and also in 16 oz. tubs (the plain and the vanilla) where I am. Flavors I have seen include peach, strawberry, blueberry, and honey. I hear there is a caramel but I haven't seen it and I have heard people mention a 4-pack, but haven't seen it, either. However, it is getting more and more popular and you should be able to find it somewhere soon if not now.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Greek Yoghurt

Hi, Here in Michigan Trader Joe's sells plain Fage total 0%, it is labeled greek yoghurt. My container is 6 oz or 170g @90 calories and 15g protein. I like the somewhat tart flavor and add fresh blurberries or bananas. TJ's also has a cookie I like called "seriously seedy nutty wafers @ 80 calories, loaded with cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.

More snow last night- ie; more weight lifting to clear the long driveway. My weigh in is today at weight watchers-wish me luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone,

Whew this week flew by, had a very busy week. Friday weigh in time again! I am back down to 242lb. Feeling like I am on track and hoping to kiss the 240's goodbye by next Friday.

The greek yogurt is delicious, very thick and creamy! I buy it every once in awhile. I too like it because it is all natural. Many of the yogurts are just loaded with additives. I am religiously reading labels now, so that is a positive change I have incorporated.

Have a great day!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

I looked at the grocery store last night and couldn't find anything that said greek yogurt. I ended up with plain nonfat yogurt. I was craving potato salad so bad and had found a recipe with yogurt in it. So I came home from the store and made it at 11:00 last night LOL. That way it had time to get good and cold by lunchtime today

I have to say it turned out pretty good. I used no fat yogurt, fat free mayo, spicy brown mustard and a packet of Equal. I like sweet potato salad with no "chunks" in it. Chunks as in - onions, eggs, relish. I don't like to bite into anything but potatoes. I am weird I know....

Deanna
Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Deanna, here's a link with a "where to buy" for the Chobani brand. Maybe you can find it:

Chobani Yogurt - Products

Yesterday was a loooong and stressful day at work...I was starving when I got home and instead of snarfing 13-year-old boy food from the pantry, I had some Greek yogurt with sliced half banana and some chopped almonds. It was awesome, satisfying, and got me through the next 3 hours till dinner.

Hope you enjoyed your potato salad today
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

Hello again all. Haven't posted in a few, been busy. Spent the last week going through my sisters place, weeding through and riding out, she was murdered in october and I have just been putting off this daunting task. So this week my husband and myself took the bull by the horn and today had an estate sale and then back at it tomorrow.

With doing all this I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to stick with my new healthy lifestyle but i did and for cardio this week I rode my bike the 10 miles to her house everyday. This was not only great physical exercise but the mental benefit was awesome! A bit chilly but at the same time refreshing. At weigh in this morning I had lost 3 pounds! Anyhow enough of this.....

Chobani greek yogurt is the BEST!!!! There website has a coupon, buy two get one free. For all the chocolate lovers out there a few weeks ago they launched their new "childrens" product line, which includes chocolate and although I haven't personally tried it I heard it is delish. They have a facebook fan page which not only keeps you updated on all their new flavors but they have excellent recipes as well. I recommend this yogurt to everyone, not only for the high protein but for the probiotics as well.

Thanks all... stay motivated and motivating! Life is grand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.