Notices

New and blue :-(

Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Question New and blue :-(

Trying this out as all other attempts (weight watchers, Atkins, going it alone) have failed. For every step forward, I take 2 steps back. I've been back and forth to the doctor for test after test, kept food and activity logs and they cannot figure out why I am not losing weight. I work out for 45 minutes to an hour 5 days a week, and eat well for the most part (I am human and like a treat every now and then) ... but I may lose a pound or two over the course of a month, but gain it back two-fold overnight.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hello,
Don't be so hard on yourself, this is not a easy battle but throught dedication, exercise and proper eating you will see that healty person that is inside of you. Drink tons of water and try exercising 3 times a week instead of 5 and try not to eat late. Keep raw veggies and apples to snack on during the day.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:47 AM
FitDay Member

OMG, you're description sounds just like my own experience. I work out more that almost everyone I know and can't seem to lose anything. I've attributed it to stress but I'm tired of just accepting those extra 20 pounds. I think I'm not always conscious of the extra calories I pop in so fitday has been really helpful for me in the past. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

You didn't mention your age, but I'm 45 (female) and it is REALLY hard work to lose and weight, and VERY easy to gain.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks all, it's nice to know that I am not the only one. It's just so stressful. What I have come to realize by using FitDay is that I am not eating nearly enough calories, even though I feel like I eat way too much. According to an equation I found in "Run Your Butt Off" (A book put out by Runner's World) I should be eating around 2,300 calories per day and I am lucky if I hit 1,500.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
you need to give it time.

Also, the calories that you are eating are from?

There are several things that you can do.

If what you are doing / did hasn't worked, then you need to make adjustments, maybe work out twice as much for instance.

Maybe switch to eating veggies and fruits (mostly) for a week or two, or maybe carb cycle, but truthfully, I would look at your choice of foods, maybe list them here to be scrutinized by the experts.

I think that you can do it, but a lot of it is mental.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mjcassar
For every step forward, I take 2 steps back. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
Maybe you don't need to change what you are doing too much... what you need to change is what you are thinking!

If you are starting out thinking that this is yet another attempt like all the others, then your body won't play ball with you and it will keep hold of the fat and you won't lose weight!

Try this instead...

Get a photo or two of what you used to look like and maybe some images of clothes you want to wear, activities you want to be able to do and enjoy... add in a few bigger treats that if you lost the weight you could imagine yourself having [even if you can't actually afford a villa by the sea or a ferrari] then choose some little treats things you can definietely do / afford, anything from a new lipstick or eye shadow, to a fave movie with a friend at the cinema... make about 10 or 12 of these mini treats [ not edible ones though]

Put this collage of images in a place that you can see everyday - fridge door is a good place... then looking at it, looking at the you , you want to be... make yourself a promise that goes something like this... you are great inside, you have amazing strength and a huge drive to succeed for this I want to say thanks, and while I am thanking you can I just say how much I admire you wanting to make changes, to eat more healthily and to exercise more, I really appreciate all your effort to get me where I want to be... look at the collage and choose a treat, no target setting, just promise yourself that target when you know you are working hard towards the you, you want to be... it could be resisting a temptation, losing a few pounds, a compliment you get because someone noticed your weight loss... rewards are far more motivating than a stick to beat yourself with when it isn't working for you..

So think about what you really want - not what you don't want...

I wish you all the best Jules xx
Old 08-28-2011, 06:23 PM
FitDay Member

I have had the same problem, put on 10kgs in one week earlier this year. Have done some research and found that one of the medications I am on has the side effect of weight gain, so now trying to convince my doctor to take me off it. The other killer I have found is alcohol, a couple of beers a night means I will not lose any weight no matter what I'm eating.