Notices

Alternative to Carbs?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
FitDay Member

Default Alternative to Carbs?

Hi all,

I've recently joined and am finding this site fab!

I've always known that my downfall is carbs - I have drastically cut down on my bread intake, as I would often have 2/3 sandwiches per day for breakfast, dinner and tea (with butter,mayo etc). so the bread slices have been thrown out and I'm eating wholegrain bagels, muffins, wraps etc. But I still notice that in my chart, I am way over-doing the carbs...can anyone suggest an alternative or should I be eating a majority carbs per day anyway?

Thanks
mary
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
FitDay Member

Me again!

I'm still noticing a huge amount of carbs in my pie chart. I am trying to balance it out, and eat fruit and veg and lean meat, but the porridge for breakfast, the wrap/bagel for lunch etc are all adding up!!

Anyone any ideas please????
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

I hate to break it to you but going from sliced bread to bagels isn't drastically cutting down on bread. That's like trying to cut back on pasta and going from angel hair to lasagna.

Try cutting back on servings instead of types.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

I too struggle with grain based carbs. You might try spaghetti squash in place of pasta. Spaghetti squash has carbs too, but not so many as pasta. One thing I do often is to eat the stuff I used to put in a sandwich, but I skip the bread. Egg salad or tuna salad right out of the bowl or wrapped in a leaf of lettuce is actually rather filling and loaded with protein. If you need bread you might look for one that is low calorie and high in protein. Some of the "wraps" on the market might help your numbers, the Flat Out brand have 9 grams of protein and are 90-110 calories depending on the flavor. Another thing you probably need to look at is high protein snacks, like Greek yogurt, soy nuts, nuts in general, beef jerky etc etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for replies!

I realise that going from sliced bread to bagels isn't a massive jump, but I've excluded the butter and included so many other good, hi proten foods with the bagel - so I've made changes, but not enough obviously!

I'm in Ireland and haven't a clue what beef jerky is (although I have heard it mentioned on american tv shows). I hadn't thought of the nuts for high protein - must include them in my next shopping spree.

Bread, unfortunately, is my 'thing' - I wouldn't thank you for a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps or a biscuit - but boy would I thank you for a slice of bread! I remember oprah referring to carboholics and laughing, thinking they didn't exist...how wrong was I!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Beef jerky is thin strips (a ground & reformed) of beef (you can make venison, turkey, chicken, etc) and spiced with different recipes then dehydrated either in a dehydrator or in the oven. It gets almost tough and is usually pretty salty. It is delish! We make venison jerky several times a year here.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Mary,

Try to think about it this way:

You've swapped your bread for a bagel (so, a grain for a grain). You've cut out butter and mayo -- those aren't carbs, they're mostly fat! You've added more protein, which is good, but you're really still eating, more or less, the same amount of carbs.

You're swapping out bad fats for proteins, which is a great start, so kudos to you!

Maybe you can try cutting bread/grain/pasta out of one meal a day. For instance, instead of a sandwich, have a soup or a salad, maybe, for lunch? Or, instead of an egg sandwich or porridge for breakfast, just make the eggs, or an omelet with some nice veggies?

If you still want the "feel" of a sandwich, Almeeker makes some great suggestions, such as lettuce-wrapping instead of bread-wrapping or searching for low-carb/high-fiber wraps (FlatOut wraps are great!)

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks alot Terri!

I know carbs is my downfall. I grew up in a large family with 7 brothers and I remember mam filling us all up on bread for every meal (I imagine money was tight back then!)...so the habit has stuck!

I have definitely cut down my sandwich intake - a few weeks back, I was eating 2 slices of toast for breakfast, 2 slices of bread for a sandwich lunch and another 2 slices of bread with my tea in the evenings!! I have been known - on occassion - to make potato sandwiches (I love them sooooooo much!)...that's how much I crave carbs!!

Anyway, I have cut out the bagels every morning, but am sticking with the porridge as it's really filling me up, and I am already feeling more energised in work each morning because of it! I'll have to figure out other ways to cut the other carbs though - love the lettuce wrapped 'sandwich' and will give that a try over the weekend - thanks again!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Mary, CARBS are good!

You need 50 to 60 percent of your calories from carbs.

You can eat two sanwiches, but you just have to eat whole grain bread.
Where I live, I found Diet whole grain bread that is only 50 calories per slice, and no fat.

The carbs that are bad are white bread, white sugar, regular potatoes, white rice.

What happened is that from the popularity of the ATkins diet, everyone including me thought that you were not supposed to eat them.

Then I found out the truth, that 50 to 60 percent of your calories should come from carbs, and 20 to 25 percent from protein, and around 15 to 25 per cent should come from fat.

That is how I arived at FITDAY, because the notebook was tedious to do my tallies constantly.

Eat carb, count carbs, eat the correct amount, and don't go over.

WHOLE GRAINS!

Brown rice, veggies, fruits, oats, anything natural is extremely good for you.

Last edited by jackdup; 08-12-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: I was half asleep when I posted
Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
FitDay Member

That's great jackedup - thanks for that! And I'll defo buy wholegrain bread at the weekend.

White sugar would be another downfall of mine! I only drink one cup of tea in the morning and one cup of coffee in the afternoon, but love 2 spoons of sugar in both. I'd also have a teaspoon of sugar in my porridge in the mornings. I am reluctant to change that to sweetner as I've so much bad press about artificial sweetners - would brown sugar be a good alternative (or is that a silly question sorry!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.