Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25 >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7/25

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Asked to throw an impromptu dinner party at the last minute tonight so my week is not starting off well. Hard to estimate calories as I was cooking, sampling, stressing and hosting all at once. Did pretty well, calorie-wise, considering the situation. Didn't have enough calories left for the fruits and veggies goal, though.

Back is feeling better, but as a precaution, I took tonight off from exercising.

Goals for this week:

* 4 fruits and veggies a day. (Can't figure out why this has been hard for me this summer as I was, pretty much, a vegetarian for 4 years.) 2

*Eat clean. (Simple enough.) Y

* Log foods and limit calories to 1200. 1326
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Well I just knocked out another 2.05 miles it took me 29:23. That was about 4.1mph pace. Not too bad since I can't jog at all and I haven't walked in forever. I'd like to average that pace for my 1/2 marathon in 5 weeks. That would put me just over 3 hours. Nothing to write home about but considering a couple weeks ago I could barley tie my shoes or walk to the mailbox, so I'm not complaining.

I have my next epidural scheduled for August 10th but I may push it back a week or two so I'll have a "fresh" back for the race.

Joanna
, I really do need a challenge. The harder the better!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Today was a BUSY day for me. I got my new laptop in and had to get it setup, setup some of my systems and return a ton of calls and emails. I only ate 3 meals and 1 snack today. I need to spread that out to 3 & 3.

If anyone is wondering what I consider to be a serving of veggies, I figure 85g raw or if I'm eating out I just eyeball it. So if you look at my food log and see 2g of broccoli (it's actually 2 servings but since I'm not counting calories I put it as grams just for accountability)

So my goals for the week:
1) Eat clean 6 days (only 1 cheat day): yes
2) 3000 calories deficient for the week: -891
3) Weigh in on Monday and post a picture of the scale: yes
4) either post my weekly food graphs or make my food log public: yes 01gt4.6 - free online diet and fitness journal (let me know if y'all can see it)
5) walk/run 10 miles: 3.05
6) gallon of water a day: yes
7) work out 3 times: no
9) daily:
fish oil x 2 yes
vitamin yes
floss yes
10) take picture of myself and post up: yes, see above
11) no more than 2 servings of nuts per day (including peanut butter) yes (1)
12) 5 servings of veggies a day (green veggies don't get logged) yes (5)

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 07-26-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job, Mike...great start to your week! I like the concept of a "fresh back," or knee, or elbow, or shoulder. Shame we can't "trade in" somewhere.

Quinn, I think you also did great, with having to cook and be hostess without much notice. I hate when I have to choose between goals, like I either have to sacrifice the calories or the fiber (or the fruits). But then I start to think I'm overthinking it and so I stop thinking. If anyone followed that.

Joanna, for me also, keeping the carbs down warrants constantly paying attention. I do best when mine are 50-55%, which I think is higher than most. These days I use FitDay more to see how that pie chart looks than the calories I eat, because left to my own devices, I'd be waaaay too high in carbs.

Mary, I'm glad things went well for you today. I'm also glad it's over for you and that the stress has dissipated.

Lizzie, thanks for the laugh with the bathing suit instructions. I'm sure I will think of them while on the beach . I am a people watcher and I try to maintain denial about the fact that others can actually see me, but at least they aren't (with the exception of my family) people I'll ever see again.

Mern, those books look good, don't they? One other thing I forgot to mention that was news to me was the term "cardiodiabesity," indicating the confluence of cardio problems, obesity, and diabetes. I'm excited about all the research that's being funneled into those areas that will hopefully lead to some better ways to manage it. I really admire the way you are striving to do so without drugs.

My check in:

1. Keep calories below 1300. 1279
2. Exercise 6 times (3X weights). Stationary Bike
3. Water, water, everywhere! Yes
4. Balance the pie chart. B-/C+
5. Fiber 25 g. 29
6. Log everything. Yes
7. Take calcium. Yes

Had to add in that last goal. I have no problem taking it, but I always forget! I take it at night; I've read that calcium can block absorption of other vitamins and that it shouldn't be taken within two hours of other pills. I take half my vits with breakfast and half with dinner. By putting it as a goal, hopefully it will remind me!

I was bad and had a doughnut today . The boy and I had to go to an appt. across town and we never get over there regularly, so we made plans to stop at a Krispy Kreme for a fresh doughnut and coffee. I had it in my food log before we even left the house and ate really well the rest of the day, so I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm very cranky tonight due to family issues; had an argument with my sister (that never happens) over plans while we are up there and I've just been ill about it all night. At this point I'd rather not even go, but that would really upset my mom and my son's been looking forward to this for weeks, so I'll grit my teeth and do it, and pray that I don't use food to cope, because there is some toxic stuff up there, most definitely!

Y'all be good!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

"A" doughnut was being bad? lol Let me tell you about Sunday... (not to one up you but maybe this will make you feel better) I started off the day with 2 doughnuts, I don't remember everything that I had but I know I had a butterfinger, a king size twix, a butterfinger blast (with extra candy) and 6 slices of a large pizza. Oh yeah, I had Mexican food for lunch. My entire week was similar.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
FitDay Member

Hello,

My goals and Monday report wrapped up.

1. Calorie deficit of 6000: 597
2. Drink 3L of water: Yes
3. Stay away from cheese: Yes
4. Stay away from cookies: Yes
5. Finish the lesson by Wednesday.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

Mern, thanks for starting us and for cheering me on. I will stay with my cheese goal and plan to tackle cookies this week as well. I am hoping that the numbers from the calorie deficit show on the scale next week.

Mike, you are off to a great start this week, keeping yourself accountable, getting your walks in. Great on the the new computer too!

Quinn, sorry to hear about the no-go on the biking. Hope you are feeling better, good call on taking it easy with the exercise.

Lizzie, my best wishes for the week!

Mai, you are right about the food addiction, specially coming back from vacation. But you will get there.

Cassie, sorry to hear about your argument with your sister, hopefully it will blow over before you get there. And I for one would love to hear what you find in the pantry.

Joanna, the loss will eventually catch up with the numbers (at least that's what I keep telling myself )

Mary, glad your day at the court went well. Hope you clear the freezer before your holidays.

Good night everyone.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM
FitDay Member

Mern - thanks for the info on calcium. I will check it out ASAP

Quinn - I hate impromptu gatherings, it's like my brain goes to mush and I can't calculate my calories, though heaven knows I should know most of this off by heart now.

Cassie - truly hope that your sister and you have patched things up by now, I don't have many arguments with mine but if I do I feel distraught until things are back to normal. *Go and have a great time, that beach is calling you later.

Joanna - I am a carb junkie. *Every day that little pie chart has way too much purple on it, although strangely enough purple is a colour I wear a lot - lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
"A" doughnut was being bad? lol Let me tell you about Sunday... (not to one up you but maybe this will make you feel better) I started off the day with 2 doughnuts, I don't remember everything that I had but I know I had a butterfinger, a king size twix, a butterfinger blast (with extra candy) and 6 slices of a large pizza. Oh yeah, I had Mexican food for lunch. My entire week was similar.
Sounds like my Saturday! And what is it with doughnuts? I was at a dozen doughnuts on Saturday like a dog on a bone. I don't actually eat one... I just keep cutting off little chunks (like they don't have calories that way ) until I've had enough.

Cassie,

I kind of get what your saying about your sister. With my brother, we get along fine on the phone. But, when we actually talk about getting together, the stress levels rise for some reason. If we had to vacation together, one of us would surely get maimed. I love my brother dearly, but I could never live in the same town as him. We're just two entirely different people, right down to looks. I am fair and blonde, like my mom; he has black hair like my dad. Family pictures are hysterical. How we came from the same parents, I'll never know.

Since I missed my exercise last night, I think I'll get in a few extra miles this morning and then go again tonight. It's cool, my schedule is empty, and I have no excuses.

Enjoy your day, all!

quinn
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

Monday report:

Er, uhm, from my first post this week: "Let's make this a week of good, solid control over our goals." I had a really great report going until last night around midnight. I woke up hungry, went to the fridge and got a huge hunk (about 6 oz.) of smoked ham steak which accounted for 340 calories, 4g carbs, 3% of my sat fat limit, 100mg cholesterol. I was already over in cholesterol, though--and had planned on that because of eating an egg with Hollandaise sauce.

Calorie limit 1600 1621,
Calorie deficit 900 per day 753,
Carbs less fiber limit 25g 30.6,
Sat fat limit 12% of total calories 14%,
Dietary Cholesterol average 300mg per day 548,
Track protein grams and % 128 or 33%,

Artificial sweetener limit 2 packets per day 2,
Sugar Free candy limit 2 pieces per day 1,
5 servings veggies/fruit per day YES
Vitamin D and Fish oil daily NO,

Water 64 oz. Exercise 5 days YES.
Exercise 5 times DAY OFF,

I've been stalled all this month, I believed part from bumping up my exercise and part from indulging in massive carbs from carrot cake July 6 and 7. Other than that I've been pretty darned good most of the time (if I recall correctly). But Mary's post yesterday and my indulgence in the huge hunk o' ham last night got me to thinking about nitrates. I found this on the Internet this morning and boy, oh boy, I think that's a big part of my plateau because this month I've also been eating DAILY half a low carb tortilla wrap containing a full serving of processed turkey or ham.

Why Are Nitrates Not Allowed on a Low-Carb Diet? | eHow.com

"Eating foods with nitrates on a low-carb diet has been linked to "stalling." Stalling is the unexpected stop of weight loss even while on the diet. In order to get the best results from your diet, it is best to cut nitrates out."

I read elsewhere that high consumption of nitrates can also cause inflammation, which I believe also causes fluid retention, so nitrates don't affect only low carbers, I guess.

SO I will go to a butcher shop I discovered a couple weeks ago where they have their own store made cooked roast beef. I was told the only thing they add is a little sprinking of salt on top of the meat, so although they couldn't give me a sodium count, they promise it's low sodium as well. More pricey, but I'll find a way to cut down on food costs elsewhere.

Hurt my back this morning--maybe. Bent down to put the scale back under the utility cart and immediately after I stood upright, I felt a surge of pain in my back. OK when I'm sitting but when I walk it feels like my right leg is carrying all my body weight and pulling me, via my lower back, toward the floor. Moving my left leg doesn't hurt. Maybe it's just a "crick" and will pass, but if it's not gone by 11:30 I won't be able to do my strength training class at the Y today. I don't think it's an actual injury--just soreness due to standing up funny.

Last edited by Mern; 07-27-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.