Notices

Atkins

Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hello. So you should check out Atkins.com. There are recepies and an Induction week menu that you can follow. Also, you should only be eating "good" fats. Nothing fried in oil, dont even cook your food in oil. Use a pan spray and add the oil or butter after its cooked. Also, yes you should only be eating the calories for your body i.e I am an mildly active woman I should only be eating 1500 calories a day. Go to the website, I spen two days looking at it. I was very helpful. I plan on starting it next week. I am about to finish my HCG dies and phase 3 is more or less the atkins diet. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

Just checking in on the Atkins board here. Today marks an important milestone in my weight loss journey. As of this morning, I have reached the half-way point and lost 50 of the 100 pounds that I set as a goal.

I started Atkins in mid-April and since then not only have I lost 50 pounds but also brought my triglycerides, glucose, A1C, and blood pressure from highly elevated levels down to normal. This nutrition plan has been a life-saver and probably saved me from the heart attack I was headed towards.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
FitDay Member

Go on line to the Atkins web site, they have great meal plans for induction that really dont require Atkins products plus it gives you a total carb count for the entire day if you use the menue planner portion.... its under induction then under how to do induction right... i still find buying all the required ingredients is a bit expensive, but much cheaper than boxed stuff. good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by linusfuller
I am currently a poor college student trying to save as much money as I can due to expensive EXPENSES and really dont't want to buy ANOTHER atkins book like the one I have now tells me to do. I'm trying out Atkins diet and have been on it for about a week without results. I first started with a lot of protein (about 50-60%) then heard I should be eating more fat so now I'm eating about 65% fat with usually no more than 3-5% carbs. Does eating over the amount of the calories I burn hinder my diet? Also, my carbs come from some of the meats I eat like sausage but I never go over 20 grams a day. I'm seeing no results. Also, Does anyone have an example of a day on Induction that does NOT contain bought atkins products because I cant afford those and want to see if I'm eating right.
I am doing an extended induction phase because I am tolerating it well and because I have so much weight to lose. Since April I have lost 50 pounds, and I have never bought an Atkins brand product (except for the new book). If you already have an older version of the book and don't want to spend the money on the new one, that old one should work just fine coupled with the information on the atkins website. I aim for 60-65% fat, 30-35% protein, and 5-10% carbs (ensuring that I stay under 20g and that I get at least 12g a day from green vegetables). I also try to get between 90-190g of protein and keep my calories between 1800-2200 a day. Finally, I try to drink about a gallon of water a day.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that you haven't seen any results in the first week. If you got to the point of one month with no results, then I would say you are probably doing something wrong. But, it could be that your body is not in ketosis yet after the first week. Personally, by testing with ketostix, I discovered that it takes at least four induction days for my body to enter ketosis.

Here is my menu from a typical day:
1 cup scrambled egg and sausage mixture
3 to 5 cups of coffee with creamer powder and sweet&low
1 cup raw broccoli
1 cup raw cauliflower
6 to 8 oz beef, fish, chicken, or pork
1 cup cooked spinach
two 1/4 pound ground beef patties
2 oz cheddar cheese
at least 2 liters of water
2 diet pepsis

I usually try to stay on the lower end of my calorie limit, that way if I get hungry in the evening there is still room for a snack like a hard boiled egg, some pork skins, or a cheese stick.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by davej323; 08-24-2010 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
FitDay Member

ive done atkins for 2 weeks to give it a try a few months ago and lost .5 -1lb a day by only eating 30grams of carbs a day....ate tones of just any kind of meat..

started again on friday and lost 2.3 already
Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark91.htm

I attached this link to assist you in finding answers. The Atkins diet is an overly simplified version of this diet. Atkins induces your body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis is the state in which your body no longer uses glucose for fuel and utilizes ketones to pull your fat stores as your body's fuel. This diet utilizes fats as 65% of your caloric intake, 30% calories from protien, and 5% from carbs. One day a week you have a carb up day to restore your glucose.
Now the reason I mention this is due to the misconceptions of being able to eat whatever you so choose on Atkins as long as there are no carbs. This is bad thought to have and may serve you some injustice. Please research this diet and you will receive a lot of the answers to questions you may have.

Also, a simple answer to your initial question. Cheese, oils, fish, and other naturally fatty but healthy foods will assist you with increasing calories and eventually achieving your goals.

Good luck
Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Still on Atkins

Anyone out there? I'm still finding my way around this site. Love it so far but I am limited on time I can be on here. Feeling real good and following
The New Atkins for a New You
to a "tee" - trying to track every carb - eats lots of veggies and lots of water - and write it all down.

Exercising too...building up slowly - right now 35 situps/leg-raises and 10-30 minutes on the bike or walking fast....

feelin' good!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 AM
FitDay Member

Smile trying atkins-a little long but my story

I started Atkins on 2/10/11. I had started the new Weight Watchers Points Plus on 1/1/11. I knew the old WW didn't work for me-always hungry, cheated after a week or so, etc. Was hopeful about the new PP w/free fruit. Lost 5 lbs. in 3 weeks, got so sick of fruit, plus was hungry much of the day-and deprived on so little fat. Gained back 2. Never tried Atkins, but have had success w/South Beach before.

I am not craving food, SO much less hunger (less even than on South Beach) I feel better, waiting to get past the first week symptoms, but have lost 4.8 in 3-4 days.

I need to lose about 25-30 lbs. Age 59 so I know I will lose slower but hoping I have success this time.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Induction

Hi fellow Atkiners,

I'm going to start somewhat of an induction. I will be limiting carbs but 20 grams is a little low for me. I'm struggling with the last 10. My motivation seems to nose dive in the late afternoon and evenings.

I hope by checking in with some people I can stay motivated.

I know what you mean Suelaine - I'm 49 and it is harder as the years go on.

Keep motivated!!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi Lowcarbers

I've been following Atkins since the end of the year - am down 20lbs (though it's up and down a bit these last couple of weeks) and have lost 5 inches from my waist! (I checked it 3 x!!!) - I'm happy as can be and will be content to plateu throughout the rest of this month and then start losing again. I have another 17 to go!

Carry on, carbolators.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.