Notices

Egg Salad Calories?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Egg Salad Calories?

Hello All! I just have a question...what does everyone put in their egg salad? I made some to bring for lunch today and when I looked it up here on fitday, it gave me 700-something calories for 1 cup! Granted 1 cup is WAY more than I would eat, but I tried to figure it out myself and I got 275 calories for this:

2 boiled eggs
2 tbsp miracle whip
2 tsp mustard
pepper

This will make 2 sandwiches for me. So I was just wondering what the heck is in the egg salad on here that makes it 700+ calories???
Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Fitday must just assume that everyone LOADS their egg salad with mayo... That's a lot of calories! It would take about 5 Tbsp of regular mayo + 1 cup chopped eggs to hit 700 calories.

If I'm making a big batch of egg salad, I remove the yolk from half the eggs... the yolk alone is about 50 calories! I use a little light mayo or Smart Beat (imitation mayo, 10 cal per serving), lots of mustard, dill weed, pepper, and onion powder or chopped green onion.

That sounds really good to me now! I think that's what I'll be having for lunch today... Lord knows I have plenty of hard boiled Easter eggs that need to get eaten!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

If you know exactly what you put in your egg salad, add those ingredients to your fitday log, instead of using the egg salad calories that they have in their data base.

That means your measuring accurately and so you're recording accurately, right?

Never underestimate how many calories are in fat - mayonnaise is mainly fat and I haven't really checked it, but I think Miracle Whip is mainly mayonnaise with more sugar. Worse! (It just tastes sweet to me, I never use it so I'm not familiar with the numbers.)

Trader Joe's makes an egg salad with just cooked egg whites, lower in calories, lower in fat. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. I think it might make a decent sandwich and, if not, I can 'doctor' it up.

This makes me think there have to be quite a few lower-calorie recipes for egg salad on the internet. One thing I do to cut down on calories, when I'm thinking about it, is 'dilute' the thing with chopped vegetables. It changes the texture - makes it crunchier, usually - but if the taste of the salad is strong enough to begin with, it's sometimes a pleasant change to the recipe.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

I frequently make egg salad, I've eaten it for breakfast every morning this week since the kiddos made 3 dozen colored eggs for Easter but can't eat them because they are allergic.

Egg Salad:

1 whole egg boiled - 77 cal
2 egg whites boiled - 34 cal
1 Tbls spicy mustard - 15 cal
1 Tbls Helman's fat free salad dressing - 15 cal
1/2 Tbls mustard pickle relish - 10 cal

Grand total 151 calories. Sometimes I put it on 35/cal toast, other times I wrap it in a Flatout, but frequently I eat it with a spoon right out of the bowl. It's enough for 2 sandwiches, but I usually eat it all at once. The pickle relish is homemade, but it's pretty similar to hamburger relish (only way better cause it's got top secret ingredients).

Last edited by almeeker; 04-28-2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

By coincidence, I had egg salad in a Flatout wrap for lunch. One large HB egg, 77 cals, 1tbsp lite mayo 45, one wrap, 90. I forgot the mustard, but that would be 0 anyway. For "real" mayo, the FitDay numbers don't seem too off-base for a full cup--that's a few eggs and a lot of mayo.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

I eat egg salad with only egg whites. I cannot stand mayo so I use miracle whip light with 1 tablespoon at 20 calories. So two egg whites, a tablespoon of miracle whip light, teaspoon of mustard and maybe some paprika makes a nice size sandwich with whole wheat bread at around 200 calories depending on what size eggs you use. You can save a little more calories with pita pockets or flat out wraps.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Amazing Egg Salad:

1 whole egg boiled
2 egg whites boiled
1 Tbls spicy mustard (love this stuff)
1 Tbls Helman's fat free salad dressing
chopped dill
celery
green onion
red onion

I eat it on whole grain bread with a few pieces of romaine lettuce and a slice of tomato. and it tastes great.I had it last week for lunch it was great! For the past couple of weeks I've been over buying vegetables and then finding ways to use them up!