FitDay Member

Question hows is my workout

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week,
I warm up with a stationary bike for 2-5 min
I then weight lift for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min
then I run for 8-10 min

Im soon to start jogging week days in the morning

But my weight loss has slowed down i haven't lose half a pound in weeks

I might have,since going to the gym my friend has gained a stone in muscle and we do the same routine should i jog more to loose fat???
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default that seems like a lot of lifting

You didn't give us much information, though.

Do you measure by anything but the number on the scale? Your body composition is likely changing, but that doesn't always register as weight loss when you're training.

An hour to 90 minutes is a lot 4 times per week. I wonder if you're overdoing the lifting. More is not always better. Sometimes it's just 'more'.

What you eat is an important part of the equation, too.

Adding jogging won't help you gain muscle weight, but it will be great for your cardio-vascular/pulmonary system and will burn calories.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default Wow

Hi ,

I just walk 30 minutes a day , somethime's i don't walk . I walk and cycling the daily routine and don't go whit the car our Public transport . I lost in two weeks 5 kilo ( i think it is pound in English ) . I don't go to the gym but want to , i go to do Zumba and Pilates maybe you have something about this ?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Brutal16,
You sound like a body builder - lots of muscle pounding. I suspect you are right that the muscle building is masking any fat loss. But if it is weight loss you are after, most data I have read, heard, or personally experienced indicate that to lose fat you will need to up the aerobic activities. Walk, run, bike, swim, skip (as in rope), anything that will get the heart rate up for 30 or more minutes.
I bet when you start jogging, you will begin to see the weight coming off again.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone. I'm the new guy here but I'll reply anyways. What sounds like the problem here is overtraining and maybe too few proper calories. If you are wanting to get more muscle, you don't get that by living in the gym. You get that by eating properly and SLEEP. Spending an hour and a half in the gym is quite honestly a waste of time. Leave the machines alone, look at basic compound movements like the deadlift, squat, bench press, military press, etc and try some hill sprints 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes. Stop spending an hour and a half in the gym and enjoy life. Try doing one compound movement every other day, lower reps and proper form. It's just a guess but it sounds like your bodies metabolism is in the tank.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
FitDay Member

Hi
you mentioned warming up 2-5 min and running 8-10 mins afterwards. If you are looking to lose weight I suggest cutting back your lifting 30 min and add whatever cardio you choose, running, jogging cycling, treadmill for those 30 min 3-4 times a week. Like previously stated your body composition has probably changed and muscle is heavier than fat (well fat takes up more space) so if you've lost fat and replaced it with muscle but your weight is the same, you will "look" healthier. I try not to be obsessed with a number but rather how I feel and look. Just my opinion though, good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation We need more info..

Originally Posted by Brutal16
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week,
I warm up with a stationary bike for 2-5 min
I then weight lift for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min
then I run for 8-10 min

Im soon to start jogging week days in the morning

But my weight loss has slowed down i haven't lose half a pound in weeks

I might have,since going to the gym my friend has gained a stone in muscle and we do the same routine should i jog more to loose fat???
First off, it sounds like you're indeed losing fat and gaining muscle (staying same weight) while your friend is gaining muscle without losing fat (either didn't have fat to lose or is eating poorly so they're keeping the fat and gaining muscle).

Sectionly, I'm sure many of us could go in circles about what you should be doing. I use to spend an easy two hours at the gym and people would tell me that's too long, even though I was getting what I wanted out of it--they didn't know what I was doing, how fast I was doing it, etc. Now, however, I try to follow not only do they give you different Workouts Of the Day (WOD) but they have a huge online community with a plethora of information. Their workouts last anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours depending on the WOD and how fast you do them (generally come out to 20-30 mins). I would suggest looking into this or giving us more info on what exactly (1)you're doing in the gym (2)what you're eating and (3)what you want to accomplish (is it weight loss or really body fat% that you wanna see go down?).

Hope some of this helped at least a little,
Sarra

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-17-2022 at 03:09 AM. Reason: link
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

Ensure that you're warming up your rotator cuffs before doing any chest or shoulder work (look on YouTube), and do some warm up sets with very light weight for a few reps (3-5 reps). Stretch the body parts you're going to work after warming up on the cardio machine.

45 minutes to 1 hour is sufficient for weight lifting.

If you plateau which it sounds like you have, increase your calories by 500 (maintenance or above) for a week or longer (zig zag calories). Your metabolism has slowed down to achieve a homeostasis. You could be as well which can cause this problem.

Also try different dieting strategies. Eat high carbs before you work out and immediately afterward to fuel your workout and recover properly, then for the rest of the day and night eat low carbs. Or eat low carbs for three days, and high carbs for days 4 and 5, then repeat. Moreover, clean up your diet more, try to eliminate processed foods, white bread, white rice, white pasta, and drink predominantly water.

Also be sure to switch up your routine every now and then. If you run, try riding a bike or elliptical. If you just run at the same pace for 8-10 minutes, try interval training. Also do different weight lifting exercises, integrate drop sets, supersets, pyramid sets, burn out sets, add more weight (progressive resistance), do circuit training and pair different body parts together.

Also remember to take a week off every now and then, about one week every 4-5 weeks you train to prevent overtraining.

You should also buy a skin caliper to measure your body fat percentage. Losing weight isn't necessarily a good thing, and not losing weight isn't a bad thing if it's muscle. Body fat percentage should go down, muscle should increase.

The basic theory is DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. You body will adapt to forms of stress to establish a homeostasis. It takes doing something different to knock your body out of this homeostasis. Or you could just be overtrained, look for the signs and symptoms in the hyperlink. An undernourished overtrained tired body will halt your progress.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-17-2022 at 03:07 AM. Reason: links
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

OP, you didn't give a lot to work with. What exactly are you doing in your " 1 hour to 1 hour 30 min" of weight lifting time? As some others have mentioned, if your progress has slowed it might be time to shift gears. If you've been doing 3 sets of 10 on isolation movements you might consider switching to 5 sets of 5 on total body movements. Any change will break a plateau. In terms of your cardio, I'd suggest increasing time to a minimum 20 minutes of continuous movement. 10 minutes is a proper warm-up time, which brings me to the next issue - how are you warming up? 2-3 minutes of stationary biking is NOT a warm up for an hour and a half of weight-lifting. Do some mobility exercises focusing on the joints you are going to be moving during your lifting. This will make your lifting segment not only more effective, but also reduce your chances of injury.

Again, these are general suggestions; you're going to have to get more specific if you want details.

-Nik
Old 08-31-2021, 12:15 AM
FitDay Member

When you look good, you feel good. When you feel good, you do good. When you exercise, you start feeling good about yourself. You look good and feel good. Exercise helps boost your self-esteem.4

I have spent daily 30-60 Mins for routine workouts, its helpful me to feel good.