Notices

If you tell me what to do, I'll do It.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default If you tell me what to do, I'll do It.

From 216-129.8

I'm stuck, and I've been stuck.

I normally workout 60 min. a day, unless my normally active lifestyle is overly more active than It usually is.

I still only eat 1,200 calories a day... and have been counting fat grams, which for one week haven't gone over 12-15g of fat a day...

Nothing is changing.

I have only done the calorie counting to lose the 80 some lbs. I lost, and staying active/my stationary bike 30-60 min. a day...

How can I make this happen? I feel really good about everything on me except my belly, some is a bit stretched skin, but there is fat there which looks incredibly out of place when I can see bones in other places.

Please help? How does sugar and carbs effect things... I really enjoy how filling potatoes are, and I hear their bad, however I like the high potassium, also, I eat oatmeal every morning, plain or with cinnamon, but my carbs end up super high, and maybe thats my problem, If anyone can explain, I'm starting a new job in a few days, and I really want to get things going the right way, and wear a swim suit this summer for the first time in my life.

Thanks for reading!

p.s. My "nothing changing" has been over 6 mo. now.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Bzilla27,

First off - super congrats on your outstanding weight loss! (moderators... we really need the fireworks display here!) Wow, that is terrific.

You don't give us much else to go on, but 130ish is a target weight for many people so it might be possible that you body is just asking you to hang out at this weight for a while as it gets its metabolism readjusted. It happens. Lots of us have found that we reach a certain point in our program and we just need to up the calories to a "maitenence" level for a few weeks to let our bodies get used to the new you (or me). This will also allow you to start learning how to maintain that new body of yours.

Many of us have noted that it is harder to "maintain" than it is to "lose".

So give us a little more info and I bet you will have a bunch more responses. There really isn't a magic formula, just some stuff that has worked for different folks.

BTW, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad new, but it is indeed possible, depending on your age, that your residual belly may just take a while to shrink.

Pam
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

One thing to try would be to try to balance out carbs, protein, and fat a little more. Some folks swear that by increasing healthy fats (the unsaturated ones), belly fat decreases.

How much farther you can go will probably depend on your height and your age, and the composition of your calories, rather than just the calories. It's like you've done the bulk of the work, and now you're fine tuning.

Do your workouts include strength training?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Some more info:

Thanks for the fireworks, and responses, I'm glad I signed up for this site!...
I dug up a sheet I got at the mall, a body composition/stood on a scale 2/16.
Weight: 132.6
Full Body Fat: 23.7
Total Body Water: 56.5
Full Muscle Mass: 96
Basal Metabolic Rate: 2273-1773
I'm 27, and 5'5, my scale now says (128.8-130) depending on the morning.

I'll give you, It was a health shake place, she said to eat 96 grams of protein, but I think I have most of this muscle from carrying around all fat for years, because I think theres "plenty" muscle for a female here. So, I haven't been eating a whole 96 grams of It.

My residual belly I believe is what makes me feel the most uncomfortable, because everything else seems to have shrunk up, so having that part on a fairly toned up self is my focal point and absolutely bothers me(My mother says I need to find a happy medium) but I would like to change It. Summers almost here.

I do sit ups every other morning, I heard that should help tighten, but I don't want any more bulk, because I have ab muscles there already and don't want to create anything bulkier... It's just hiding still.

I am so active already, and about to be more active on top of this, starting my new job (was part time-going full, will be 10 hour days) so anything with diet would be really great to know, because everything I do so far has been mostly from self searching google lol.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
FitDay Member

You don't need to worry about strength training bulking you up. Unless you really try hard specifically to grow bulk, you won't. Weights and other strength training will make your muscles leaner, more toned and more efficient. Just start with the humble push-up. Do them sloooowww and you'll feel the burn quite quickly.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Geoffers
You don't need to worry about strength training bulking you up. Unless you really try hard specifically to grow bulk, you won't. Weights and other strength training will make your muscles leaner, more toned and more efficient. Just start with the humble push-up. Do them sloooowww and you'll feel the burn quite quickly.
Absolutely correct.

I have dieted all my life. I did three things differently this time and it is the only time I have been able to get to and maintain my goal weight.

1. Added weight training (and no, I'm not bulky ).
2. Balanced my pie chart of carbs, fat, and protein (previously was doing low fat and way too many carbs).
3. Used FitDay religiously to track everything and the forums for support.

Everyone has to find their own recipe for success.

I know all about the belly fat issue. Given your age, it's likely that you can lose it, but keep in mind that it, and thighs, is probably the last place the fat is going to come off.

My advice would be to change something. Change your pie chart, change your exercise...maybe your body has become adjusted to what you usually give it and it's just cruising along right now.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bzilla27
From 216-129.8

Nothing is changing.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
-Albert Einstein

It's time to change it up. I think a change in any direction for a short period of time may help.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I was reading your question and thinking, 'How the heck can ANYONE answer your question or help you when we know so little...'

Then I saw it: your height. Very important. I'm 5'5" myself so now I know what you are talking about. I'm here to tell you - you are just fine so stop obsessing. You're around 130 lbs. At 135, I was a size 8 or 10 dress size and that was absolutely great for me.

I'm sure it's absolutely great for you, too, but you're blind to it right now. You say you work out... that means you probably have access to a trainer. You're looking critically at your tummy? Talk to a personal trainer. Just start doing pilates or some other core-strengthening class and you'll get strong in that particular area. If you want to sculpt your body, don't hesitate to follow a program of exercise that targets your stomach muscles (don't think 'crunches' only, there are a lot of exercises that address that area). A trainer should be able to tell you.. If you're not happy with his or her advice and the results, talk to a different trainer.

The thing is, you are just fine. At 135 lbs, I was light as a feather. That's the weight I was at my wedding. You're hesitant to put on a swimsuit at that weight - that tells me you're not seeing your body as it really is. You're not a model in a magazine. They are usually size 2 and around 18 - 25 years old, to begin with.

Honest, you're a knockout at that weight. You just don't see it.

As for the carbs, protein, fat thing: if you eat fewer carbs, you lose water. And your appetite, which is a good thing, because then you eat fewer calories. If you eat more carbs, you put the water back on that you lost.

If you don't go to an extreme in either direction, you're much better off, because you also need vitamins and minerals that aren't going to be supplemented with pills for the rest of your life. 50% carbs is kind of high but that's what I end up with on heavy carb days and I've been steadily losing weight anyway. I try to keep it under 50% carbs. On the other hand, my vitamins and minerals, by the fitday reports, are GREAT. Without supplements. I get enough potassium, which is often the shortfall when you cut carbs.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 04-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Kathy,
Wise works, indeed.

Bzilla27, give yourself a little time to get used to the new you. You may or may not want to lose a little more in a while. But let the body and metabolism settle into your new, fabulous body .
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
FitDay Member

Default Thank you Kathy

You are right, for Easter Dinner I went to my parents house, and my mom freaked out about me being "so thin" I was really confused, I guess your right I am obsessing over nothing, I think... after really thinking about It, I'm so used to "losing" weight now (two years of it), when nothing is changing Its strange for me. I wasn't even thinking about anything but being fat, and every little spot of flab or anything I could see in the mirror... I guess getting around the family made me think about It more.

Thank you so much for your time in posting to my reply, I'm going to try to just maintain what I have right now, and get used to It. I'm size 4, I can deal with that for a while, and I'll pace myself with this belly thing, and not stare at it all the time lol.

Thank you for explaining the carb/fat/calorie thing too! Your great!

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by Bzilla27; 04-24-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.