Weight loss journey part II >

Weight loss journey part II

Community
Notices

Weight loss journey part II

Old 04-04-2011, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Weight loss journey part II

Really that title should read part 202 in all honesty. I've been battling weight issues forever.

I am 5'4 and am currently 352. I have a LONG way to go. I've always put everyone else's needs above my own and it's time to stop doing that. (at age 40+) Last summer we got a pool and I dropped 50lbs over the summer. Then in November I was visiting family up north and suffered a significant knee injury which required surgical repair. Literally in bed for 6 weeks and unable to do ANYTHING I have put back on 25 of those pounds. I have been going to physical therapy and my knee is getting better, though it is still not 100%. Therapy is over now...at least professional PT...and now I am embarking on MY OWN plan. My goal is to lose 75lbs by mid October. That is when my son will be graduating from Marine Corps boot camp and I want to be able to enjoy his graduation. I don't plan on stopping there, but that is my immediate goal.

The biggest obstacle I see is that for the next 4 months I will be trying to help my son GAIN weight while trying to LOSE weight myself. He already eats 4000 calories a day and it takes WEEKS for him to gain a pound (BRAT!) so I am going to have to have quick high calorie snack foods here tempting me.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to you, and thanks for you son's service.

I've often said I wished I could have a teenage boy's metabolism just for a few days .

Can you focus on getting things that he likes that aren't as tempting to you? I have a teen here as well, and that has worked well for me. When all else fails, I have him hide things I don't want to get into.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

I also want to first off say a big "Thank you" to your son. And also to you for obviously raising a great young man to have made that sort of sacrifice for our country.

Secondly, 4,000 calories? My Lord, I struggle to find enough food eat 2,000 a day!!! Must be nice. lol

Good luck on your journey.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

I will pass along the thank you's...he ships out to boot camp in July and then after 3 months he will have a 10 day leave and off to CA for training for another 4 months! I am going to miss him terribly...but I am very proud of him. His dad was a Marine as well as his grandpa so he is carrying on the tradition.

The 4000 calories amazes me as well. I LOOK at 400 calories and I gain a pound! He is 5'9 and weighs 137...we are trying to pack on at least 13 more pounds before he leaves because his cousin lost 20lbs in boot camp. I wish I could just give him 20lbs of mine! It is rather EXPENSIVE to feed him!

Here's a picture of him running the Spartan Race
Old 04-05-2011, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, my name is Sheila and I'm a newbie here. I've been heavy for many years and totaly love carbs. When I was about 190lbs my dad passed away (a year ago) and I put on another 40lbs. I will tell you what has worked for me so far. I buy my family foods they like and avoid buy what is tempting to me. Now that's not always the case because I've come home from work and see pizza sitting on the kitchen counter and I ask my husband to put it away. I've been good so far and I'm determined to loose this weight. At over 40 years old my body has slowed quite a bit and now joints are starting to ache. I don't want to be 50 and still heavy.
I wish you the best of luck and I know you can do it!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
FitDay Member

He looks to be in great shape but more important is the grin on his face. He is obviously enjoying it.

As an ex-military person, I'd just like to say to him Good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Oh yes...he had a lot of fun that day. I would love to be able to exercise with him....maybe someday.