Notices

How are you loosing 3-5lbs a week

Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Red face How are you loosing 3-5lbs a week

Hi everyone I keep reading these post and keep seeing how many of you are loosing 3-5lbs a week and would love to know what you are doing...I have been keep my calories to 1200-1400, Protein is around 30 %, Carbs 45% and Fat 25%. Zumba 30-60 min 6 days a week, curves circuit 3-4 days a week and then doing additional core or lower body strenght training. (Zumba however has only been the last two weeks) Protien in the AM followed up by some good old fashion oatmeal...and try to keep the carbs I am eating the "good" carbs. I am down 20lbs since Jan.1st which is good I know but if it was at your rate it would be more like 36-60....Which at that point I would just be maintaining...Help if you can:
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kag123
Hi everyone I keep reading these post and keep seeing how many of you are loosing 3-5lbs a week and would love to know what you are doing...I have been keep my calories to 1200-1400, Protein is around 30 %, Carbs 45% and Fat 25%. Zumba 30-60 min 6 days a week, curves circuit 3-4 days a week and then doing additional core or lower body strenght training. (Zumba however has only been the last two weeks) Protien in the AM followed up by some good old fashion oatmeal...and try to keep the carbs I am eating the "good" carbs. I am down 20lbs since Jan.1st which is good I know but if it was at your rate it would be more like 36-60....Which at that point I would just be maintaining...Help if you can:
Right off the top of my (rather balding) head, I would say that you are female so that's a disadvantage for fast weight loss (due to muscle mass and metabolism).

Also, you don't give your weight, but if you'd be "maintaining" with another 20 to 50 pounds off one assumes your not currently really heavy. The heavier you are, the more calories your body burns just keeping you alive (probably one of the only benefits of being more overweight).

I really don't do much different that you--I eat around 1500 cals a day (40/30/30 on average), walk every day and drink around 1 gallon of water daily. That's it--no big secret .

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

3-5 pounds a week is pretty extreme. Everyone loses at different rates and some may lose faster b/c they have more to lose.

Be patient young grasshopper.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
FitDay Member

Default You're doing fine

I have a significant amount of weight to lose, yet I'm at the point where I've never lost more than I have right now. I once weighed 468 pounds down to 270. I have 110 to go. When I hit 310, I kind of gave up, because I was just so sick of dieting. I don't feel that way anymore, and decided this year I would give it an earnest try to once and for all, get the weight off.

I walk for one hour on the treadmill three times a week. I keep raising the incline so it burns twice the calories. the other three days, I walk thirty minutes and do weight machines at the maximum weight I can lift. The weights are making me strong and keeping my bones strong as well as melting the inches off.

My eating goes better for weightloss when my proteins are fish, nonfat dairy, soy and legumes. Beef, pork and chicken seem to make me stall and the other choices are healthier for me. I also don't eat bread and potatoes. I get plenty of fiber and carbs without them.

I don't starve. My calories are at 1300-1500 per day. I absolutely must do the exercise to lose and keep losing.

My advice is, don't force it off. Keep at what you're doing, and don't decide to starve it off. It will only come back. Change out your protein choices and see if that helps. Congratulations on all you've accomplished.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Also, you don't give your weight, but if you'd be "maintaining" with another 20 to 50 pounds off one assumes your not currently really heavy. The heavier you are, the more calories your body burns just keeping you alive (probably one of the only benefits of being more overweight).

I really don't do much different that you--I eat around 1500 cals a day (40/30/30 on average), walk every day and drink around 1 gallon of water daily. That's it--no big secret .
I totally agree with Michael. I am 139lbs over the healthy weight for my height. That allows me to burn more calories doing the same activities as someone closer to their goal weight would. So yeah twice in the last month I lost over 6 lbs in a week but the other two weeks (TOTM ) I only lost about 2 lbs. It all evens out and as long as it is loss...I will take it!

Everyone loses at a different rate and your body knows what is best for you. Just keep up the hard work because it is obviously paying off for you since you have lost 20 lbs so far. And they say (I have no true experience) that slow weight loss is healthier and easier to maintain in the long run anyway.

So what I do is try to stick to 1500-1600 calories daily. Go for 30-45 min walks that equal about 1-1/2 miles on my lunch break and 3-4 times a week work out on our home gym while the other 2-3 times a week I do some leg strengthening and increased balance and flexability exercises that I found in a magazine. Some day I may buy some DVDs to work out with but for now this is working for me. I have also stopped eating most bread, no more sodas (even diet) ... (well sometimes one glass of diet with dinner), and eat salad every weekday for lunch with no meats on it unless it is tuna.

Good luck! It isn't an easy road but it is a rewarding one!!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

I lost 4 pounds this week (first week) but I have pretty much been killing myself. I've been charting everything (and I mean EVERYthing) I eat and trying to keep my calories around 1200. I've been doing cardio...either eliptical or recumbant bike every single day hard for at least 30 minutes. I'm drenched with sweat by the time I'm done. Oh, and lots of water!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

Question

So I still need help...I am a Female, 5'5" and 180. Was trying to keep calories to around 1200, doing 45-60 min Zumba, 30 min Curves, 20 core training and then all the normal day to day activities. I think I am loosing inches but dang pounds haven't moved for a while. Carb 45%, Protien 30% and Fat 25 % Average. Yesterday I started uping my protein, lowering my carbs and uping my calories to 1400 or so because everyone was telling me 1200 was not enough for the exercise I am doing. So we shall see how this goes...your thoughts on this being a good plan or not?? Also I drink tons of water!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

I know you asked how people are losing 3-5lbs a week but I rarely ever lost more than 2lbs a week. But I lost 2lbs a week consistently for months. So I would say like others have to not force it. As long as you are losing that is the most important thing. Also, try to gradually add more intensity to your exercise. If you do the same thing all the time you will hit a plateau. I find the more water I drink the easier it is to lose weight. Just be patient and listen to your body. Good luck and keep working at it and you will lose it.

P.S. I started my weight loss in January 2010 at 231lbs. I am now down to 144lbs. I hit plateau in January but started losing again a few weeks ago.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kag123
So I still need help...I am a Female, 5'5" and 180. Was trying to keep calories to around 1200, doing 45-60 min Zumba, 30 min Curves, 20 core training and then all the normal day to day activities. I think I am loosing inches but dang pounds haven't moved for a while. Carb 45%, Protien 30% and Fat 25 % Average. Yesterday I started uping my protein, lowering my carbs and uping my calories to 1400 or so because everyone was telling me 1200 was not enough for the exercise I am doing. So we shall see how this goes...your thoughts on this being a good plan or not?? Also I drink tons of water!!!
That sounds good to me--give it a week or two and see how it goes. I bet the added protein will help but don't give up if it takes a couple of weeks to see results.

I have to keep reminding myself that this is not a race and that I spent many years putting the weight on so it's not going to go away over night.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

ugh...more intense cardio...ok will give it a shot. Zumba is pretty intense,but thanks for the advice. maybe i will try my aroebic step dvd again at least every couple of days. Wow sorry about the spelling issues this morning. Also finally the weather is getting better here (minnesota) I live in the country so I have intense hills, a friend and I did 3.5 miles almost daily last year until I had to get a job..lol unemployemnet only goes so far. Our schedules don't work together anymore so I guess I will be going solo. All of you are doing great with your journey, keep it going. I am not giving up I am too determined and finally getting support on the food thing from my hubby a chef, just turned 40 and not going to live the last half of my life over weight and un happy, now just have to work on the grey hairs that keep showing up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.