Help with water please? >

Help with water please?

Community
Notices

Help with water please?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thumbs up Help with water please?

I am dyslexic and have trouble seeing/identifying numbers, they go wonky on me and this is my problem. I require some help figuring out how much water to drink for my current weight and for how much I want to lose. I weigh 222 and want to go down to 160.

Thankyou so much for your help!

Meggietye
Old 03-04-2011, 03:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Well, everybody is different, so I don't know that there is any particular amount that's "perfect". There are some rules of thumb based upon your weight, but they seem rather arbitrary to me.

My advice is simply to drink as much as you are comfortably able to. Personally, I drink at least 3 liters during the work day (7 to 3 in my case), and at least another liter at home (for a total of about 1 US gallon). Really, within reason, the more you drink, the better. I prefer ice water to help burn more calories, but that's up to you.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

I drink a gallon a day. Drink an insane amount of water can be dangerous, so keep that in mind. IMO most people would be okay with a gallon, but I'm not a doctor.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hey Michael and Mike, thankyou for your help. I googled gallon of water and they say it contains 16 cups, I am drinking half of that but will certainly step it up by double, thanks guys!!

I have been here a month and a bit and made sooo many changes already and feel wonderful for the effort I have put in. I have lost 8 lbs, yahoo!! Everyone has been so friendly and helpful, thank you!

Meg
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

You are at 22lbs. less than I was when I started, and I now weigh less than your goal weight, I also have dyslexia. Typically in a given day I drink about 96 oz of water, and I do this by filling a 32oz jug at least 3 times/day. If I have an evening workout I might actually drink 4 jugfuls. The baseline I've always gone by is 64 oz, (which is 8 cups of water) + another cup for every 10lbs you want to lose. So for you this would be 8 cups + 6 cups = 14 cups, so a little less than a gallon, although the extra 2 cups aren't going to hurt you any. Congrats on your loss so far, upping your water will help you lose even more.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

Guess I'll "up" my water consumption. I've always been a bit of a camel and probably don't drink enough, even when NOT sweating! I'd heard that drinking water helped with weight loss, and I'll do anything (even drink water) to take off the tonnage.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

As a P.S., I'd caution that there's such a thing as TOO much water, which I've also experienced. Drinking too much can cause a thing called water intoxication and flush out the electrolytes you need, so don't OVERdo it. Trust me, it's a lot like being tipsy. You lose your balance and the room spins! Back in my flaming youth, I bet a friend that I could drink an outrageous number of glasses of lemonade after we'd come back from riding our horses in the Florida heat. Won the bet, but was staggering afterward. Never did that again!
Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Haha I promise not to ride horses in the heat and O.D. On lemonade!!