Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!) >

Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!)

Community
Notices

Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!)

Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Energy/granola bars just came out of the oven in preparation for tournament this weekend. I think this time I threw everything but the kitchen sink in there: peanuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and mini-chips!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Energy/granola bars just came out of the oven in preparation for tournament this weekend. I think this time I threw everything but the kitchen sink in there: peanuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and mini-chips!
Do you do anything to boost the protein content in the bars? I would love to make these instead of buying the Kashi bars at the store, but I don't know where to start.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hank,

Here is a base recipe that I've posted before. You can remove the chocolate chips and replace with any combination of dried fruits and nuts to suit your dietary needs.

Peanut Butter Granola Mini Bars Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HankG
Do you do anything to boost the protein content in the bars? I would love to make these instead of buying the Kashi bars at the store, but I don't know where to start.
I've thought about trying to put protein powder in them, but not sure how it would hold up.

I like this recipe, too, for ideas on what to put in, but I prefer to use oats in granola bars rather than cereal...although if you used Kashi or even Special K Protein, it might boost the protein content a little.

Make Your Own Energy Bars - Prevention.com

If the link is edited out, go to the Prevention Magazine site and search "energy bars."
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Editing out links

SisterJen, as per the rules for posting in forums, if there is a link to something inappropriate or to something that is considered a competitor's site, or for promotion of products, services, etc., the link will be edited out.

The links aren't all disappearing, just some, and I wasn't sure if Prevention Magazine was a "competitor" or not, so I was just trying to be proactive in making sure the info could be found.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

The energy bar link is on the Prevention Mag website.

I don't know anything about supplement links.

If you are concerned, maybe a post in the help section would get you an answer from a moderator.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
I'm not sure where the "Prevention Magazine" refrence was, but I have seen links to "Calorie King" and others that are kinda like competitors, still around, but the link to nutritional supliments are delieted???
There is a often a very fine line between what is considered "spam" and what is actually good information. Sometimes good information, because of where it is or what is being sold on the source site must be considered "spam". Here are the rules for forum use as laid down by the company that owns FitDay (Internet Brands):

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/ForumRules.html

We three (volunteer) mods try our best to be fair to all of you (and ourselves) while we do our job.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE MOCHA FLAXMEAL MUFFIN

Ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup ground flaxmeal
6 tablespoons whey based vanilla protein powder
4 tablespoons oil
1 cup granular Splenda
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee--EDITED IN THAT I USE DECAF
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray with non-stick cooking spray a 12 cup non-stick muffin tin OR you can also use paper cupcake/muffin liners

Beat eggs well with hand whisk.
Add remaining ingredients one at a time, whisking well after adding each.

Divide evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake about 14-16 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in muffin tin on wire rack. If not using paper liners, loosen around each muffin with a plastic knife and then remove muffins onto wire rack.

These freeze really well and can be rewarmed in seconds in the microwave.

Entire recipe makes 12

Nutrition facts per entire recipe using Walker Diet Protein Powder
1718 calories 124.2g fat; 97.2 carbs 46.0g carbs 51.2 net carbs; 74g protein

Per muffin (1/12 recipe) 137.4 calories; fat 9.9g; Carbs 7.8g; Fiber 3.7g; Net carbs 4.1g; Protein 5.9g

Last edited by Mern; 12-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, thanks for posting recipes! I can't do low carb and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but I'm going to try to tweak this one because I'm lately interested in sneaking protein powder into things. Since they are mocha, my son would love them, and the protein would be great for him to have during sports weekends.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Wow SisterJen this looks mighty tasty .. I will make it this weekend, probably Sunday, and I think I will use a rotisserie chicken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.