Notices

I'm Back For Another Motivation Speech!

Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default I'm Back For Another Motivation Speech!

Hello Fellow FitDay Men!!!!

I've Haven't Wrote In The Forums In A While. But I Hope Everyone Is Doing As Well As I Am. I Have Lost 19 Pounds So Far And I'm Not Stopping. Okay Now Here Is Where I Need Help/Motivation... I Have Banned Soda's, Juice, and Sweets... Wait Did I Say Sweets?!?!?! Ugh, The Whole January I went Without A Sweet And I Must Admit It Wasn't Hard. But This Month I Broke. I Have Had 2 Pieces Of Cake, 2 Donuts, 2 Cookies From Feb 6 to now. I haven't Gained Nothing So In My Mind I Feel Like "Oh Maybe I Can Have A Little Piece Or Just 1" Like I Don't Go Overboard With It. But My Question Is "How Do I Stop Again?!" Also My B-Day Is Next Month And I Know I'm Going To Atleast Have 1 Drink. Don't Really Care For A Sweet But I Might Have That Too. So "Is It Okay To Celebrate My Birthday Since It Is For 1 Night?!"
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I've been noticing your progress in the challenge--you've been doing great!

Personally, for me, I have taken a zero tolerance approach to sweets, candy, and bakery items. I know they are a problem for me and I just don't care to tempt fate and/or waste the calories on them. I'm pretty sure I could eat "just one", but like the recovering alcoholic, why even go there? I know it's not the case for everyone who is overweight, but for food addicts like me this is really a concern.

I do applaud your not falling into the trap of "all or nothing thinking"--I've made that mistake before. You've noticed yourself veering off your plan a bit and are taking corrective action--good for you.

What I've done, this go-round, is to plan in one "day off" per month. If I want to drink a 12 pack, I will. If I want to eat more than normal, I will. I will, though log everything and it will figure into my average calorie intake. It's funny--even on my day off, I just don't have the desire to go totally crazy with food. I think just by giving myself permission, that helps keep me mentally more-or-less on track.

So, take a day off--you're BD sounds good. Tip back a few, have some cake if you must. Log everything--the good, the bad and the ugly. Then, go back to your regular eating plan. You can always think about the next "day off" in a month (or whatever you choose) if it helps you deal.

Remember, this is a game of averages. One day off won't matter, but a whole bunch will.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-15-2011, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
I've been noticing your progress in the challenge--you've been doing great!

Personally, for me, I have taken a zero tolerance approach to sweets, candy, and bakery items. I know they are a problem for me and I just don't care to tempt fate and/or waste the calories on them. I'm pretty sure I could eat "just one", but like the recovering alcoholic, why even go there? I know it's not the case for everyone who is overweight, but for food addicts like me this is really a concern.

I do applaud your not falling into the trap of "all or nothing thinking"--I've made that mistake before. You've noticed yourself veering off your plan a bit and are taking corrective action--good for you.

What I've done, this go-round, is to plan in one "day off" per month. If I want to drink a 12 pack, I will. If I want to eat more than normal, I will. I will, though log everything and it will figure into my average calorie intake. It's funny--even on my day off, I just don't have the desire to go totally crazy with food. I think just by giving myself permission, that helps keep me mentally more-or-less on track.

So, take a day off--you're BD sounds good. Tip back a few, have some cake if you must. Log everything--the good, the bad and the ugly. Then, go back to your regular eating plan. You can always think about the next "day off" in a month (or whatever you choose) if it helps you deal.

Remember, this is a game of averages. One day off won't matter, but a whole bunch will.

Regards,
Michael
Thanks You So Much... Gosh I Needed That! I Knew If No One Else Replied You Would. You Have Been So Helpful Since Day 1.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

I find having a plan for getting back on track helps. Log the damage -- As Michael says 1 day won't change your averages much -- and get back on plan. My worst problem is when I'm out of my routine. I am looking at another week away and know I will find it hard to stay on track. I hope to deal with that by planning and being active.

Eventually you may find that nothing tastes as good as getting fit feels. The high calorie treats do lose their appeal. One of the problems if you keep eating them is your taste buds don't get a chance to adjust. After a month or two without they don't taste as good as you remembered. Good luck -- Angle Food Cake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries make a great Birthday cake.

Mary
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
I find having a plan for getting back on track helps. Log the damage -- As Michael says 1 day won't change your averages much -- and get back on plan. My worst problem is when I'm out of my routine. I am looking at another week away and know I will find it hard to stay on track. I hope to deal with that by planning and being active.

Eventually you may find that nothing tastes as good as getting fit feels. The high calorie treats do lose their appeal. One of the problems if you keep eating them is your taste buds don't get a chance to adjust. After a month or two without they don't taste as good as you remembered. Good luck -- Angle Food Cake with Whipped Cream and Strawberries make a great Birthday cake.

Mary
Wow thats the cake I was so totally thinkin about having. Cuz I love strawberries.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM
FitDay Member

Had four slices of the finest pizza today and didn't feel guilty for a second Had four beers over weekend and cake/icecream x2 over weekend with a big fat rib eye.......sighs......lol. I STILL don't feel guilty. Just worked my ass off in the gym and put a little extra time on the t mill. All gone We all need to "cheat" once in a while. I typically only cheat once a week on the weekend if I can help it. For me dieting is hard b/c I have a wife and 2 teens and they are NOT onboard wtih my goals. Keep chipping away. You'll get there.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

I find it helps to treat the calories like money. You have so many to spend on whatever you want. And you can deposit more by exercise. Two hours cross counrty skiing buys me 900 calories -- or more if it's all uphill!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

I'm in my 3rd week of aiming for a 40 pound loss by mid-summer. You guys are far harder working than me. I have no excuses, except that I hate to exercise, but it's way too cold for me to consider 2 hours of Xcountry skiing. I feel like a success if I manage a 20 minute walk and a 30 minute yogo workout. My hips are about shot and my back is close to gone (arthritis both places). Still, I've hacked off about 12 pounds in 3 weeks and I'm mostly keeping on my plan.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kumochi
I find it helps to treat the calories like money. You have so many to spend on whatever you want. And you can deposit more by exercise. Two hours cross counrty skiing buys me 900 calories -- or more if it's all uphill!
I like it. It's a great idea. You want to save calories as much as money. you will be fit.