Any runners out there? >

Any runners out there?

Community
Notices

Any runners out there?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default me too

I've been running about 5 years and realized that I too have to watch my food intake. Especially protein-as runners our bodies need protein to repair the muscles used nonstop in running. If you up your protein levels your weight should drop a bit. The myth that runners only need carbs is quite dangerous-runners need carbs to give energy for a race not for our daily miles-a balance of carbs, protein and yes, fat gives our bodies SUSTAINED energy every day. So don't load up on bagels and pasta just because you're a runner, this can make you fat. It took me a year to learn that on the hard way! Running keeps me mentally sound and is much more than just an exercise-I get grumpy when I don't get my miles in. So many benefits to running. KEEP ON RUNNING EVERYONE!!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default bored runner?

Hitzan is absolutely right-running trails or "cross country" is the best way to stave off boredom while running. Besides the fact that your'e too busy trying not to break an ankle, you are so distracted by the all-encompassing beauty you don't realize how long you run or how hard (sometimes). When I first began running it was with a friend on the road and the smog from cars and hard pounding of concrete/macadam killed my legs; it was a huge struggle to get out every day under these conditions-I was sooooo bored!! When I decided to take my dog to an Open Space trail one day I quickly learned that trails and nature is the place to run. In fact, its the only place I run unless I do speed work (not often enough-too boring) so for those of you who think 5 minutes on the treadmill is excrutiating-its not you it your surroundings. Get out on the trails and you will be hooked forever.

PS trails are the best surface to run - easier on joints and much more diverse muscle groups working together-burn more calories too.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by klegeros
Hi everyone!

I started running about 2 months ago. Since I live in MN it's only been on treadmills until recently. I suddenly started having pain in the bottom of my foot when I run. I feels like the tendon going along the bottom is going to snap and there is severe pain.

I've tried looking it up online but I'm getting very mixed info. Anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to help it? I've taken some days off and got inserts in my shoes, but it's still not completely healed. I'm open to any suggestions to stop this pain.

Thanks! I've learned a lot from this thread.
My suggestion would be take more time off. Each runner/athlete has to learn to listen to their body. Sometimes the hurt is just soreness and you can train through soreness. But real pain should not be messed with.

It has been my experience that rest will heal many things. Lots of the real injuries are caused by stress to the body from running. The body will often times heal itself but that needs rest.

I would give it 2 weeks of no running and see what happens. If the pain then persists I might give it some more time off before going to a doctor.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Trails rock!

I totally agree with you dbrd505. I guess I am fortunate that I have several trail options close by even though I live in the city.

Not only are they easier on you legs and give you more variety in muscle use, when you start getting tired you can use the excuse that "you want to enjoy the scenery" so you need to walk a little bit .

klegeros, it sounds like you have plantar fasciitis, both the symptoms and the activity that lead up to it. Check out this Runner's World article:
Plantar Fasciitis Piriformis at Runner's World.com.
If that doesn't seem to fit look around that site for other possibilities. SkyPilot is right, regardless of the source, resting the injury is best. But you may be able to substitute something else like bicycling which does put much pressure on the soles of your feet.

Jog on friends!

Pam
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ran a marathon and gained weight

I know this is a strange phenomeno but I just did my first marathon and gained weight!Not just muscle weight but actual weight went up 2 dress sizes and thats why I am here!To lose weight from my marathon !
But I love running and will do it till the day I die or my body permits me to!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Weight gain is not uncommon

Hi frasypoo,
Gaining weight during marathon training seems to be pretty common. I did it too several years ago. As you suggest increased muscle weight is one source, but I think there are other things going on too. Time magazine did a piece on this last summer: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME It caused quite an outrage among the exercise supporters, but the author had several valid points. One is that many of us over compensate for our exercise by eating more. I know when I was training up for a marathon I kept telling myself that I needed lots of carbs to sustain the training regime. In retrospect I waaaaay over estimated my calorie needs.

I also know that when I was training I was really hungery. Not just, "geez I would like something to nosh-on" hungery, but deep tummy growls hungery. That is really hard to ignore, so you feed the beast thinking that you have burned enough calories to justify it. Lots of other folks have commented on this too.

For me at 53, in reasonably good shape, but with a demanding fulltime job that puts some limits on my exercise time, I need to keep monitoring my food intake - even when I am running 25 to 35 miles a week. Although I love Runner's World Magazine, I pretty much ignore a lot of their food advise. I stick with what works for me. Keep the calories at 1800 or less (40-30-30, carb-prot-fat), add an energy gel during long runs, and don't OD on carbs.

So far so good this time around.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Got a 10 mile training run in today in preparation for a half marathon on 11 Apr.

I feel real good
Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Well done skypilot.

I signed up for the Holcomb Valley 15 mile run in June. Although the race might start in a valley, it is all mountain running (or stumbling) on trails and Forest Service roads. I am looking forward to it at the same time knowing that I will be a hurt'n unit by the end of the race.

I started my tempo and interval training this week. I am a firm believer in the "Run Less, Run Better" (Bill Pierce, Scott Murr & Ray Moss) philosphy. 3 runs a week, each with a specific purpose.

How are all the other runners doing? Has Spring sprung where you are?

Pam
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi frasypoo,
Gaining weight during marathon training seems to be pretty common. I did it too several years ago. As you suggest increased muscle weight is one source, but I think there are other things going on too. Time magazine did a piece on this last summer: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME It caused quite an outrage among the exercise supporters, but the author had several valid points. One is that many of us over compensate for our exercise by eating more. I know when I was training up for a marathon I kept telling myself that I needed lots of carbs to sustain the training regime. In retrospect I waaaaay over estimated my calorie needs.

I also know that when I was training I was really hungery. Not just, "geez I would like something to nosh-on" hungery, but deep tummy growls hungery. That is really hard to ignore, so you feed the beast thinking that you have burned enough calories to justify it. Lots of other folks have commented on this too.

For me at 53, in reasonably good shape, but with a demanding fulltime job that puts some limits on my exercise time, I need to keep monitoring my food intake - even when I am running 25 to 35 miles a week. Although I love Runner's World Magazine, I pretty much ignore a lot of their food advise. I stick with what works for me. Keep the calories at 1800 or less (40-30-30, carb-prot-fat), add an energy gel during long runs, and don't OD on carbs.

So far so good this time around.

So glad that someone agrees with me!People look at me and say"did you really run a marathon"?!!!
I agree with you about RW mag,They have advice but they contradict it in differant issues!
Sicking to the 1800 calories has been hard! But i figure,I lose weight my knees will thank me!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I signed up for the Holcomb Valley 15 mile run in June. Although the race might start in a valley, it is all mountain running (or stumbling) on trails and Forest Service roads. I am looking forward to it at the same time knowing that I will be a hurt'n unit by the end of the race.

I started my tempo and interval training this week. I am a firm believer in the "Run Less, Run Better" (Bill Pierce, Scott Murr & Ray Moss) philosphy. 3 runs a week, each with a specific purpose.

How are all the other runners doing? Has Spring sprung where you are?

Pam

I'm in GA and we had 80 deg temps today.
ran early so it would not bother me.I am used to running in the cool temps we had all winter!
Doing the peachtree in summer and some small races around town.My goal is to run faster this year and then do some half marathons on a regular basis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.