Notices

Any runners out there?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 AM
FitDay Member

Smile New at running

Originally Posted by KRRANDOLPH03
I have tryed running, and I swear I'm like a fish out of water! lol I can't seem to breath correctly. I am thinking this really shouldn't be that hard. I wear myself out before I even get started. I usually walk run walk run....any helpful tips?
I have never been a runner. I started running because a mom on my daughter's soccer team asked me if I wanted to go running with her. So I started to condition myself so I didn't look like a lazy person all out of breath in front of her, and you know what I haven't stopped.
When I first began I wasn't breathing right and my throat would burn, it was awful. But I have learned that if you are going for distance just take it slow, and when you start to feel out of breath, take slow deep breaths through your nose and out your mouth. I have been doing this for 7 months now and have lost 10 pounds. But I don't really watch what I eat so I am going to start.
Try the slow, deep breaths, and don't over do. I started off real short distancing. Run/ walk/ run/ walk. Now I can run about 2-3 miles non stop. I have started a 4 mile distance and had to walk some of the way but I did it. Having to walk is not a bad thing as long as you meet your goal distance. Good luck I hope what I've said works.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bkj0407
Thanks for your perspective and feedback--very helpful. I wasn't always a healthy or active person, so it's great to have input in order to keep my bearings--and to stay fit!
I am going to be honest with you. For me, I had to really push myself for the first 2 to 3 months of running. I was consistent, like 6 days a week, and then I slowed it down to 4 days a week. One time I stopped for about a week because my daughter was sick so I had to stay and take care of her, and the weird thing was, I was missing the running. I never thought I would feel that way. Because at first I dreaded it. Now I look forward to it, that feeling you get about 15 minutes in. You will start to want to run because your mind feels clearer and you feel better that you did something. It really does become addicting. Just keep pushing yourself. Don't think of the negatives, that it's hard, just think of how wonderful you are going to feel when you're done and that you are doing it for your lungs, and heart, as well as your looks. That's what my husband keeps saying to me when I complain that I am not looking the way I feel I should. He says, "Don't do it because you want to look good, do it because you want to live a healthy life." And he's right and that pushes me more than just trying to look good. I want to be healthy for myself and my family.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

I'm coming right along with the running, I'm quite pleased with myself.
On Monday I was able to jog for 20 minutes straight, something I've never been able to do in my whole life. It was quite an ego boost haha

Still very anxious for the weather to warm up so I can start going outside for my runs and exercise my dogs with me.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default San Diego Marathon

I just joined this site in the hopes of tracking my nutrition for marathon training. I plan to run the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego on the 6th of June. I paid my registration already so no backing out. I lost about 45 lbs 3 years ago running and have been doing it ever since. ran multiple 5 and 10 k races and one Half. So i have set my sights on the 26.2. I'm already running 20mi/week base so i will start 16 week program next week. FitDay is a great way for me to see my carb/protein/fat percentages without all the guess work. I'm also deployed to Afghanistan right from Tucson AZ!
Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default keep'n it going

Hi all,
I love everyones comments about running from the nubbies to the pros, so I wanted to keep the tread alive. I am working on dropping about 30 lbs (about halfway there - yippee - thanks largely to FitDay). I know lots of folks who run to lose weight, I'm kinda the opposite. While I definitely can stand to lose the pounds anyway, my real goal is to improve my speed and endurance. I am a "middle of the packer" but I like to think I could do better 30 pound lighter. Any one else have experience with this?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi all,
I love everyones comments about running from the nubbies to the pros, so I wanted to keep the tread alive. I am working on dropping about 30 lbs (about halfway there - yippee - thanks largely to FitDay). I know lots of folks who run to lose weight, I'm kinda the opposite. While I definitely can stand to lose the pounds anyway, my real goal is to improve my speed and endurance. I am a "middle of the packer" but I like to think I could do better 30 pound lighter. Any one else have experience with this?
Runbikeski...there is an article in this month's Outside magazine, page 84, on just that subject. It gives you tools to determine your baseline, how many calories you need on your days off and how many you need on your active days. From there you can figure what you need to do to drop those pounds and become a speedier athlete.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
FitDay Member

Yes! I only started running about 1.5 years ago. Weighed 340# so i started slow. Ran my first marathon in October, weighed 250#. I am training for another marathon in May. I love running, never dreamed I would say that! Maybe it is b/c for so many years I couldn"t. What races dy like to run?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Congrats on your marathon - that's fantastic!
I really like running on trails rather than streets. It is a little easier on my joints, and I find that because of the uneveness of the surface I get a better all body work out (not to mention those unexpected movements as you try to keep your self from tripping). I am mostly a 1/2 marathoner. 13 miles is pretty easy to train up to. 26 is daunting (I've done 1 marathon, I enjoyed it, but didn't get need to do another one), so I really admire runners who focus on marathons.

Some of my favorite races have been in the mountains in California. The San Bernardinos in SoCal and the east side of the Sierras. The scenery seems to compensate for the exhaustion and I can always use the excuse that I am "just admiring the view" when I take a walk break!. I have to admit that I don't get the thrill out of the big races most people seem to - including my running partners. But then again, it may be that with the smaller races, every once in a while a miracle occurs and I podium in my age group - that's not going to happen at the Chicago marathon!

By the way thanks pboumansour for the tip from Outside mag. I'll take a look when I get back.

I too, am a running addict!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sure am!

I'm a runner as well, and started in 2005. I was in the midst of my training for the Chicago Marathon this winter in hopes of BQ'ing this fall. I ended up partially tearing the deltoid ligament in my right ankle and severly spraining the rest of my ankle . Due to immobilization, I developed DVT and am on Coumadin until July. Needless to say, I haven't run since the day after Christmas and can't return until mid-summer....completely bummed. However, I have a new found love of our sport and I can't wait to get back at it! My hopes are to lose 30 pounds so that I'm lighter when I do get back to it.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Runnerchi...If (or when) you can put weight on that ankle, try spinning or a stationary bike to keep your legs strong and you aerobic capacity up there. Good luck with your recovery and efforts to qualify for Boston!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.