Ready to be a grown-up

Community
Notices

Ready to be a grown-up

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Ready to be a grown-up

Hello All

I am 24 years old, 5'6" and weigh 200lbs and you all will be the first besides my dr's and my partner to know my weight. Last week I was told I have high cholesterol, at 24 years old...

Over the past 2-3 years my weight has gone up and I've done nothing to take responsibility for it. In the last 6 months or so, I've started seeing pictures of me that my friends have taken and posted on facebook. I was actually tempted to remove my tag so that no one would be able to see how large I looked in the pictures. I kept telling myself, "that must have been a bad angle," or "that outfit was not flattering..." When the truth was, I am larger than I've ever been, and those pictures were the truth punching me in the face.

We joined a gym last fall and quickly became the stereotype that pays for a gym membership and then doesn't go. I used my 1 free personal training session and really liked the trainer. I got through the holiday season and saved up the money. 2 days ago on February 1 was the first personal training session and the first day of the rest of my life. He sent me a link to this site and I'm loving it so far, it's exactly what I needed.

I'll take anything you can give me to keep motivated. Right now my only choices are failing and succeeding. I've been failing for years now, I know what that feels like. Now I'm ready to succeed...

~AM
Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default You are already a grown up!

You're taking responsibilty and action. It took DH until 45 to do the same, and his transformation has been amazing, he can do things he couldn't do before.

I'll be cheering for you!

Abby
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by alyssumm
Hello All

I am 24 years old, 5'6" and weigh 200lbs and you all will be the first besides my dr's and my partner to know my weight. Last week I was told I have high cholesterol, at 24 years old...

Over the past 2-3 years my weight has gone up and I've done nothing to take responsibility for it. In the last 6 months or so, I've started seeing pictures of me that my friends have taken and posted on facebook. I was actually tempted to remove my tag so that no one would be able to see how large I looked in the pictures. I kept telling myself, "that must have been a bad angle," or "that outfit was not flattering..." When the truth was, I am larger than I've ever been, and those pictures were the truth punching me in the face.

We joined a gym last fall and quickly became the stereotype that pays for a gym membership and then doesn't go. I used my 1 free personal training session and really liked the trainer. I got through the holiday season and saved up the money. 2 days ago on February 1 was the first personal training session and the first day of the rest of my life. He sent me a link to this site and I'm loving it so far, it's exactly what I needed.

I'll take anything you can give me to keep motivated. Right now my only choices are failing and succeeding. I've been failing for years now, I know what that feels like. Now I'm ready to succeed...

~AM
AM, welcome to FitDay and the forums.

I agree--congrats to you for taking control of this situation now and not waiting for it to get all out of control like I did.

Come up with a good eating plan, keep your commitment to hit the gym regularly and log everything into FitDay and you're sure to succeed!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Yeah! Great first step

It is so hard facing up to the truth. At 26 you are in a perfect position to take charge of your future!

Most of us here preach the FitDay way, it has helped all of us one way or another. One tricky part is being truthful in your logging. As someone once noted: even if your log doesn't reflect your eating habits, your body knows what went into your mouth .

You will probably make all kinds of discoveries about yourself here. Poke around the site and explore all of the great tools. Some folks have been able to really get a handle on their habits and downfalls by using the Moods tab. I know I did. I tend to quell lonelyness with Doritos. Since too much time to myself is something I can fix, once I figured it out, I made a plan to make sure I scheduled in more social activities.

The pie charts and bar charts displaying calories in vs. calories out is super helpful.

And best of all, there are lots of folks in the forums just like you and me to sharing the ups and downs with.

Pam
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for responding, it really means something to have so many people going through the same thing. I'm only on day 3 but have had 2 personal training sessions, and despite being more sore than I've ever been in my life, my spirits are also higher than they've been in a long time. I'm just taking it one day at a time, and so far, so good!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hi alyssum, just stopping by to see how the week (and weekend) went. Did you have a hard time yesterday? I had a LOT of food around me so I had to be extra careful. I lost 1 lb when I weighed in and my goal is to be under 200 by this Sunday !! Let me know how it went!
-Christy
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations on your new lifestyle, and good for you making it at 26. I waited until I was in my 40's. How stupid was that?

I think learning to pick myself up after a fall has been really key. There is a quote I think of when I'm at the point of spiraling out of control/giving up.

"Being fat is hard, working out and eating healthy is hard, choose your hard".

So I pull myself back up and choose to workout and be healthy. It's hard, but it's not any harder than weighing twice what I should, in fact now that a lot of it has become habit for me, most days it's not that hard.