Notices

Hello, my name is kathie and I am a carboholic

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for all your encourgement! I appreciate all the positive feedback. The truth is I have completely eliminated simple carbs (white bread, white pasta, white rice, potatoes, etc.) and now eat whole grain cereals, bread and pasta. I gave up a coca cola habit, have not had one since Dec 31. I think I am doing really well, in reality, but the carb count was freaking me out a little!

I am like Shell and have a hard time getting the protein high enough. Mind you my dietician said 60 mgs of protein a day is enough for me and my overall average for January is 57.5 mgs...so not bad!!

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Carbs????

I wanted to contribute something regarding carbs.

I lost 67 lbs. being a dedicated Atkins Dieter. I regained 11 lbs and was very lucky not have have gained more. I have not achieved my goal weight yet. I have done a lot of other stupid things to loose wait too I no longer follow Atkins.

Everything I have tried I have researched and fell for the hype.

I guess what I want to share with you is the new hype I have fallen for.

I read a book and watched a PBS special by Jillian Micheals - (biggest looser trainer) - I am not a fan of hers - but repect her book and insite regarding "Mastering your Metabolism".

If you are interested in how to make your body a fat burning machine, to have a greener environment in which to live, and how to eliminate or reduce toxins that mess up your hormones...metabolism... it is worth the read. Read it twice - it is scary to learn what poisons we are putting in our bodies in the name of health foods.

What does this have to do with Carbs...well here is the thing...remove all white starch from your meals. Use whole grain, organic when possible, eat your 5 servings of fruit a day, never buy or eat anything that comes in a can. Eliminate or reduce shopping the aisles, buy the majority of your food from the perimeter of your grocery store, buy organic when possible.

By being on Atkins so long and almost eliminating carbs I had literally shut down hormones from working. I eliminated most fruits, breads, grains. I was very sick. I have made many changes, some very small - like never buying eggs that come in a styrofoam container...to logging any and all food that pass my lips.

My committment is to a healthier, greener life...and the by product has been loss of inchens and lbs.

Good luck to all...
Old 02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, I just ordered that book. I'm a carboholic too. I love my whole grain cereal in the morning and if I have a lean cuisine at lunch my carbs are too high. Yet nothing else seems to satisfy me. I then try to not have carbs at dinner time. Weight loss is slow but at least I am down 55lbs since Jan 1 2009.

I've also been advised not to eat carbs after 5pm but have not tried that yet. Anyone else ever heard of that?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

I was poking around the internet this afternoon (all right, all right, I know I should've been working!) and came across this article on carbs:

The Truth About Carbohydrates

*I personally like the part about limiting French fries to "less than two servings per day"!

Basically, I think that with carbs, as with anything (e.g., the artificial sweetener debate), you can find support for both extreme positions and everywhere in between. The take away message for me is that I need to find out what works for me and my body, and that may not be what some scientist in a lab says is the right thing to eat. I think as long as I use common sense and the "everything in moderation" principle, I will be okay. I am not going to stress over carbs but I won't shove them in with reckless abandon, either.

I'm trying to think outside the box and see the big picture, as opposed to freaking that the numbers don't "work" every day,

I encourage everyone to find what works for them. Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs
Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Basically, I think that with carbs, as with anything (e.g., the artificial sweetener debate), you can find support for both extreme positions and everywhere in between. The take away message for me is that I need to find out what works for me and my body, and that may not be what some scientist in a lab says is the right thing to eat. I think as long as I use common sense and the "everything in moderation" principle, I will be okay. I am not going to stress over carbs but I won't shove them in with reckless abandon, either.

I'm trying to think outside the box and see the big picture, as opposed to freaking that the numbers don't "work" every day,

I encourage everyone to find what works for them. Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs
Well said, and I agree completely! Health is a very individual thing, we are all different. I'm looking at my FitDay food log at the end of each day and seeing where I could improve my choices, maybe lower a portion size here and there and looking at the overall nutrition to see what I could add. I know darn well when I have completely blown it - and I know when I have done well. It's all about balance.

Thisonesforme, Thanks for sharing, and for confirming for me what I am already aiming for. I have tried all kinds of different 'diets' in the past. This time my mindset is very very different, it's about being healthy, and I like it!! And thanks for the book recommendation, I will pick that one up and give it a read for sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM
FitDay Member

I seriously don't know how you gals do it!! It's all I can do to count calories a day, but to watch percentages of protein and carbs!! Since I began my logging about a week ago, all I do is think and live in calorie land!! I'm excited on a day that I choose oatmeal (with sugar) instead of my beloved Cap'N Crunch!! I normally count my own calories and customize my foods rather than to pick from their lists. As long as I'm zig-zagging from 1100 to 1500, I'm happy. I haven't even exercised yet because I'm afraid if I do then I will just give up on the whole weight loss thing as a whole. I only have 14 lbs til goal weight. 5'7" 163 currently...149, here I come....For Real This Time. Kudos to all you avid counters!!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
FitDay Member

I am an avid counter AND try and make good choices. I have had a couple of little indulgences, but really not many at all. It has been whole wheat breads & english muffins & pastas & bran cereals, vegetables & fruits, chicken & tuna & eggs & the very occasional red meat, almonds....that is the majority of what I eat. In various combinations!! I am also working on having meatless meals a couple times a week. I don't feel I am trying to live on carrot and celery sticks!! LOL!!

I admit there times when one serving of a certain food, like pasta for instance, is just not enough!! I want MORE!!! Anyone else have that issue???
Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

I have that issue, too, Kathie. Also with pasta (my husband's mother's Italian and we do the whole homemade simmer-all-day long sauce) and a few other things. As long as it's something that's not bad for me, I will plan ahead for a larger portion. Sometimes I cook it on one of my higher calorie days and log in a serving and a half (occasionally I have doubled it) so I have the calorie "budget" for it; other times I will make small compensations the day before and/or after.

I also tack some extra onto the exercise, too, to even it out if it really throws my calorie balance off. One day a couple weeks ago I literally ate 4 oz. (uncooked) pasta. It was a HUGE plate. But I knew I was going to do it so the rest of the day I ate my protein and fruits and dairy products, and I did it on a day I go to cardio tennis, which my heart monitor says burns 400 cals an hour.

Another thing I do if I feel like I could sit there and eat till I can't move is to get a piece of gum or a mint and get out of the kitchen. I usually come upstairs and start logging into FitDay while my husband cleans up and puts the food away...by the time I'm done it's out of sight and out of mind.

I have spent too many nights at the table being cranky because I couldn't have a second portion if I wanted one, and I would invariably eat something later I shouldn't have...so actually eating more if I want it prevents me sabotaging myself.

It's more helpful at those times to think of calories as averages over a week than a daily value and you vary your intake anyway, so you should be able to accommodate yourself if you want to splurge a bit
Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 AM
FitDay Member

My problem is trying to guesstimate calories when I cook a meal. Such as spaghetti. How am I supposed to figure out how much meat was in my portion, how many noodles etc. It's just too much. Same with tacos or quesadillas etc. I end up eating Lean Cuisines but I don't feel as though that is sustainable forever. I would like to eat with my family but they are not going to go for chicken breasts and veggies every night. Is there a way to master this counting business and still eat with your family? Michelle
Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Michelle, your post made me laugh...I have been known to put spaghetti noodles one at a time onto a food scale to make sure I got exactly the number of ounces right on the nose! Then I would cook just that portion for me and know how much it was. Alternatively, I have cooked it for the family, weighed a certain amount cooked, and found the cals by Googling something like "how many calories in 4 oz of cooked rotini".

Many nights I will have my food scale and measuring cups sitting right at the table with me. I won't do that forever, of course, but while I'm being strict with myself, I do.

Here is an awesome site that will calculate the nutrition information for your recipes: Recipe Calculator

You enter all your ingredients, divide by the number of servings it makes, and then you know. I use this for pasta sauce and other homemade things.

Tell me more about eating with your family every night. Are you saying you can't eat the foods you cook for them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.